Question about kids' camps and my son

pattygb

My husband and I have kicked around the idea of a cruise. We have a 7 year old who would do very well at a kids' camp, and an 11 year old who I'd worry about. He is in 4th grade (just turned 11) and is small for his age, looks about 8. He can get pretty angry if he's teased about his height, etc. He also isn't atheletic, wouldn't want to join in on sports type activities, some other group activities. Are there cruise lines that don't insist on everyone participating in the same thing? If he turned 12, by the time we decided to go on a cruise, but we wanted him in the younger age group, are they willing to do that? To me, age is more than a number. He would not fit in with teens in the next year, believe me! How do most cruise lines handle a kid who might be getting angry or upset?

My husband and I have kicked around the idea of a cruise. We have a 7 year old who would do very well at a kids' camp, and an 11 year old who I'd worry about. He is in 4th grade (just turned 11) and is small for his age, looks about 8. He can get pretty angry if he's teased about his height, etc. He also isn't atheletic, wouldn't want to join in on sports type activities, some other group activities. Are there cruise lines that don't insist on everyone participating in the same thing? If he turned 12, by the time we decided to go on a cruise, but we wanted him in the younger age group, are they willing to do that? To me, age is more than a number. He would not fit in with teens in the next year, believe me! How do most cruise lines handle a kid who might be getting angry or upset?

Sounds like no problems with the 7 year old. However, reading through this I take it your 11 year old may have medical or other issues? If there are those sorts of issues I would suggest you contact the cruise line directly. I have heard of children who may have medical issues or perhaps developmentally delayed being allowed to go in with younger kids. From the staff we have dealt with on cruises, most are very good. Many have training like their ECE diploma (many are Canadian BTW!).

However, I know for a fact that they do not tolerate anger issues. They will not put other children at risk or themselves. Nor should they. I happened to be picking my youngest son up at the kids club and the coordinator was talking with another parent. In no uncertain terms did she tell the dad that the son was acting up and being disruptive. It seemed to me there was a one strike and you're out policy. You will have to sign a waiver and the behaviour policy is very clear. If your son is upset, rather than angry, I am sure you could talk with the kids club coordinator to find out the best way of dealing with that situation.

Lots of children with special needs are in the kids clubs, and they can do very well. The kids clubs are bright, fun, welcoming places and there are usually lots of fun activities. Your eldest may just really enjoy himself.

A note about the 12+ though....the cruise line brochures may say they are broken into 12-14 14-17 whatever. That may not happen. They tend to lump all the older kids together. As you know, a 13 year old is very different from a 17 year old. The kids themselves seem to 'self sort'. With the teens however, they are generally a very lazy bunch who seem to hang around, talk, eat, hang around, play a little basketball and ping pong, and eat some more. The older they get the organized activities are very limited.

Good luck, I am sure it will all be fine!

My only experience is with Princess and Celebrity. My older DD has specifically commented that one reason she prefers the Princess program is that they did not insist that everyone do the same activities at the same time. On Celebrity, she felt that it was more lockstep: first everyone will do karaoke, then everyone will do foosball, etc. My younger DD has no problem with that but the older DD wants to "opt out" of some stuff.

Also, think about whether you feel comfortable authorizing your son to sign himself out and report back to you. At 11 he will be old enough to do this IF you give written permission for him to.

--Junglejane

My son was in the younger groups at the time, but when we where on Disney..they didn't make all the kids do the same thing. They had about 3 things going on at the same time! The area for the older kids seemed to be the same (not positive though). We just got of Freedom of the Seas. My son did fine in the kids club, but he had to do what everyone else was doing. I think he got a bit bored when they were doing stuff he didn't really want to do. He was 7 this time around. Not sure if this is of any help to you! Good luck!

Archived