Arawak Cay - Fish Fry Experts?

letsgoflyerz

best food at fish fry is 'twin brothers' restaurant. excellent seafood. try the cracked conch. definitely get a twin brothers daiquiri also. try the pina colada/strawberry mix. not a fancy place but really good bahamian food.

Hi Nell,

Not looking for fancy, just good food and drink...from what I understand it's visited by locals and gives a good "I was there" feeling! Looking forward to the conch!! Do they have full bars, too? And I assume along with the Daquiri's they all vie for the best rum punch??? Thanks for responding!!

We were there in November and ate at Goldies. We had the cracked (fried) conch and conch salad. We met another lady there who had three bowls of conch salad and loved it. It's very good and fresh.

I'm not sure about the drinks. My husband had Kalik and I had a rum and coke, nothing fancy.

It's a great experience if you want real Bahamian food and don't mind going to another building to use the bathroom. The buildings are all so colorful. I have some pictures if you want me to post them.

Hey Guys,

Nell good pointer on the raw conch, and cruisincrow YES, please post the pix...that'll be cool. Hearing you both say about a rum and coke and full bar answers all my questions. Drink (and food?) prices were good?

We're hitting it, that's for sure. When did you go? Did you take the #10? What ship wre you on?

Thanks, again!!

We were there in November (2008). We took a cab to Crystal Palace and gambled a little and walked around the Sheraton and Wyndham. Then we caught the #10 jitney to Arawak Cay. We just told the driver when we wanted to get off. It cost $1.25 a person. After lunch we walked back to the ship. Basically, we tried all the means of transportation. :)

I'll try to post the pictures tonight.

The following thread has a post (#7) by Scubagirrl that has a link to some pics and a menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16677654

We were there back in December and took the #10 jitney to the Fish Fry. Very colorful area and we ate at Twin Brothers. I'm glad we went because I enjoyed the jitney ride and the area and I can now say I've tried Conch (cracked), but next time I'll try something else..

John

Thanks for the pics! My husband and I have been trying to remember which place we went to last year. It was the best food (and the least expensive) that we had the whole trip. I had shrimp and some other good stuff and it was all steamed and inside aluminum foil...sound familar anyone? We are going back next week and want to find it again.

Lori

The Arawak Cay debate is like Pat's vs. Geno's in Philadelphia. My two favorites have always been Goldie's and Twin Brothers, but they each have their own "feel". For what it's worth, on my last few visits I noticed that the vast majority of locals that stopped by were lining up at Twin Brothers for take-out food. (but several other places were doing decent business)

monoptn, that sound like twin brothers. they have a 'broiled' section on the menu. the broiled seafood comes in foil - huge portions, really good prices. i had the broiled snapper (my husband had the cracked conch) and it was excellent.

The last time we were there, early 2008, we walked from the cruise ship. It took less than half an hour, I think. On the way, we passed a local man who was opening coconuts and making a rum/coconut drink, that strong $5? drink made the walk easier.

We stopped at the first place, it was actually a small bar under an opening, and several tables with umbrellas. The man made the conch salad from scratch right there. It was the best I have ever had, and I have had some.

He was just opening when we got there, shortly before noon, so don't head out too early.

We will be there next Tuesday to sample his wares again, yum.

Another vote for the Twin Brothers. Lot's of locals were there for lunch and we met and American guy there who lives in Nassau. He eats there at least 2/3 times a week and said it's his favorite restaurant.

We are going to do the day at Breezes and was wondering how far the Fish Fry is from there? And if we would take the #10 Jitney like we would to get to Breezes...does anybody know?

Thanks for the pics! My husband and I have been trying to remember which place we went to last year. It was the best food (and the least expensive) that we had the whole trip. I had shrimp and some other good stuff and it was all steamed and inside aluminum foil...sound familar anyone? We are going back next week and want to find it again.

Lori

Sounds like Seafood Haven's Grilled Seafood. Delicious.

The Grilled Grouper in foil is also a hit. Best dinner I've had in a long time.. including some upscale Paradise Island spots.

Seafood Haven is my new Best Bet.. Stop in and say hello to Ivan behind the bar.

Archived