First Carnival cruise!

wifey4life

First of all, I haven't been on here for a while. I work as a travel writer and got an opportunity to go on Carnival this fall....Oct. 29 for three days to the Bahamas! :D I've never been on Carnival before, only DCL. We (me and hubby) are going on the Sensation. I've checked out the website and really liked it. What do I need to know about cruising with Carnival? :confused:

Anna Gibson-Farringer

First of all, I haven't been on here for a while. I work as a travel writer and got an opportunity to go on Carnival this fall....Oct. 29 for three days to the Bahamas! :D I've never been on Carnival before, only DCL. We (me and hubby) are going on the Sensation. I've checked out the website and really liked it. What do I need to know about cruising with Carnival? :confused:

Anna Gibson-Farringer

They offer a great product for a great price~!!:)

Go with an open mind, and don't expect your Steward to 'fold your clothes' that you leave on the bed...:):rolleyes:

DW and I LOVE Carnival.... Have sailed on RCI, but keep coming back to Carnival, due to the price, and because we enjoy it more...:D

1. The Sensation is coming out of drydock all new and larger - good.

2. The Bahamas are great - good.

3. The 3-night cruises are sometimes filled with "disorderly partiers" so please don't judge all cruises by the crowd you may encounter. :eek:

My first Carnival cruise was on Sensation back in 99, after that I was hooked. The cabins were looking pretty rough when I went on her again in 07. Now that shes gotten an extensive dry docking, cabin remodeling and renovations she'll look as good as new money.

Anna Gibson-Farringer

You will have a really good time. Carnival has the best food of all the cruise lines (5) that I have been on so far. The service isn't bad, but, it used to be better. However, that is with all cruise lines. You will have 24-hour pizza and 24-hour soft serve ice cream.

I've cruised on Royal Caribbean, Disney and Carnival. I think that Carnival offers the most bang for your buck. While Disney is excellent, it is very expensive. The DOD's are great and everyone tends to have a really good time. I agree with a previous poster that while 3 day cruises are great you really don't get an accurate feel for the cruise line.

Our first cruise (July '07) was the exact one you are taking. We thought short and cheap would be a good way to find out if we (us and the four kids) liked cruising. Really enjoyed ourselves. Were VERY suprised at the high quality of the food in the dining room. Don't know what type of atmosphere you like, but on a 3 day, inexpensive run, it will be a 24/7 party.

Went with the hubby to Alaska last September and we opted for a more "upscale" Celebrity Millennium cruise. Yes, the boat was far more attractive than the Carnival boat, the passengers and atmosphere were VERY different (although, I'm sure that Carnival in Alaska is different than Carnival in Bahamas, too), there were more things to do on Millenium, etc. etc. However, the food on the Celebrity ship was NOT good and the coffee was NOT drinkable; for SEVEN days! There were also a few "odor" issues with the ship that took us by suprise. Long story short (too late), service being basically the same (great on both), shore excursions being the same, I'll take the fantastic food over the more sedate, refined decor any day.

So, I'm booked back on Carnival next month. I certainly haven't written off the other line, I just wanted to let you know that even compared to the "premium" lines, Carnival holds her own.

Archived