First Timer! Best for family with a 3 yr old.

joivie

Our son's first vacation was on the Disney Magic. He was 3 years old. Back then, they only offered Land and Sea packages (no 7 day cruises yet, and this was before the Wonder was built). We did 3 days at Disney World and 4 days on the ship. It was awesome!!!!!! We believe he was the perfect age to take in all the "magic". Our son is now 12 years old and loves to travel!

What's best for one family is not best for all. It's impossible to answer which line and duration is best without more information. What are you looking for in a cruise? Lots of activity or more relaxed? Anytime dining or assigned seating? Extensive kids club? A few places for you to have adult time while your DD is in the kids club? Busy evenings? Many family-together activities? What kind of ports interest you? Do you want to "beach it" or take island tours or something else entirely?

Specific to your DD: Is she potty trained? There are very few ships that have any water play areas at all for youngsters in swim diapers; there are no regular pools onboard the ships that allow it. Some cruise lines, such as RCI, not only have age minimums (in that case 3), but also requirements that children be fully potty trained to attend the kids club. Some start at age 2 and allow kids in diapers. Some of those allow kids club crew to change diapers and others don't. (I'm guessing she will be or is potty trained, but I don't know for sure; hence all the info.) What kind of child is she? Is she shy or outgoing? Does she enjoy new places and activities or do new things upset or frighten her? How flexible is she (and are you) about daily schedules? That would affect recommendations for both cruise line and cruise duration.

Ideally, you and she will do fine on a 7-night cruise, but there's no harm in doing a "starter" of 5 or so nights. I think that the 3 nighters are too short for kids to adjust to the changes; just as they get into the swing of things, it's time to go home. OTOH, for a child who has trouble with changes to schedule, a weekender to start could help with learning to adapt.

Your choices will be more limited in summer in some ways because so many lines send ships to Alaska and New England and "across the pond" for northern Europe and Scandinavia for the summer/fall season.

As you can see, there are many, many factors that would influence what cruise line, ship, and duration would be best for you.

Best thing to do to start is read, read, read reviews of the various cruise lines and ships and browse the cruise line forums.

beachchick

I did a Caribbean cruise in August one year on Disney and it was great. There is a always a breeze on the ship and in the Caribbean. Since this is your first cruise-you may want to try one close to home and I think Disney would be a good pic. My son loved it.

There are other cruise lines that I would recommend also. I think that Celebrity has the best youth program at sea, especially for 3 year olds. The "Fun Factory" is awesome and the staff is the most caring I have encountered. Princess also has a good youth program.

Royal Carribbean, Independence of the Seas, which we just got off was my son's favorite so far but it honestly wasn't mine. It was too crowded, especially around the pool area.

If you don't want to do the Caribbean- do Canada/New England or Alaska. Of the two, I'd recommend Alaska- fantastic!

Archived