Horse back riding - Is it worth it?

LaurenPetersen

Hi everyone,

We are debating whether to do a horse back riding excursion or not. It is a little pricey. Do you think it is worth the money? Do you have any recommendations on which company to go with or should we book through Carnival?

I appreciate your help!

Lauren

I know horsebackriding on the island is expensive. However the costs of keeping horses on the island are much higher than in the US. Everything the stable needs (from food to tack) has to be imported. That being said: I think horsebackriding is an experience you want to encouter on every destination you go to. (At least I think so, as an experienced recreational rider).

There are two locations for horsebackriding on the island:

Lucky Stables / Seaside Nature Park

http://www.shoreadventures.com/excursions.aspx?id=393

Tel: (+599) 5445255 / (+599) 5263632

Bayside Riding Club

http://www.baysideridingclub.com/

Tel: (+599) 5576822

I've ridden with both stables and they are both okay to go to. The horses are in good shape and they are well taken care off.

Lucky Stables is on the Dutch side of the island, just west from Philipsburg. They have their own area they ride in (Seaside Nature Park). You ride through a mountain area, with trees and bushes and a beautiful view, because you are riding higher than sealevel. You get a real adventurous feeling while riding, because you go up and down the mountain area. At the end you go swimming in the sea (the horses walk through the sea and you may get wet up till your thighs).

Bayside Riding Club is on the French side of the island, next to the Butterfly Farm (beach Le Gallion). They ride through the nature of Le Gallion which is pretty flat, and most of the tracks are covered with sand. The second half of the ride is pretty much all over the beach, going a little into the water up till your calves. (With rides booked through the cruiseships they apparently take off the saddles of two horses and you go bareback into the sea, taking turns).

I prefer Lucky Stables because of the beautiful nature (I just love riding through the mountains, did it in the Pyrenees too!) and the nice guides who let you decide what you want to do during the ride. (I booked a private ride). Also, after the ride you can sit on the beach and have a drink of a snack (also handy when you bring kids or partners that don't want to ride).

I would advise you to book a private ride if you have horsebackriding experience. I know this costs more, but you get more in return. The ride is longer (1,5h at Lucky Stables) and you get to trot and canter and decide where you want to go, because there are multiple tracks. If you want a longer time in the water with the horses, this is possible too, because it's a private ride. The 1-hour ride has a standard route and is always walking (no trot or canter). This is especially for people who have never been on a horse before or are beginners.

So to answer your questions: I think it is worth your money! And for the company you want to choose, see which company you prefer by reading my experiences and viewing the websites :)

Hmmmmm, according to the Bayside website, all of the 1.5 hour rides allow you to go bareback into the water.

According to them:

Bring your camera! During the ride your guide will stop at a specific location on the beach where you will dismount. Your guide will take the saddle off two horses for swimming.

You will take turns swimming. You will have the chance to take off the clothes you want to keep dry, your shoes and your camera can be passed to the guide or fellow riders to take pictures of you swimming.

I have read that the horses at Lucky are not really very well taken care of. But, of course that is completely subjective. But, my main concern, is that according to Lucky's very own website, they do not allow you to change clothing when you go into the water, so you need to wear clothes that can get wet. From the photos I have seen, they do not go very far into the water.

I would love to get more info as well, in order to make a better educated decision as to which one is the best option.

Hmmmmm, according to the Bayside website, all of the 1.5 hour rides allow you to go bareback into the water.

According to them:

Bring your camera! During the ride your guide will stop at a specific location on the beach where you will dismount. Your guide will take the saddle off two horses for swimming.

You will take turns swimming. You will have the chance to take off the clothes you want to keep dry, your shoes and your camera can be passed to the guide or fellow riders to take pictures of you swimming.

I have read that the horses at Lucky are not really very well taken care of. But, of course that is completely subjective. But, my main concern, is that according to Lucky's very own website, they do not allow you to change clothing when you go into the water, so you need to wear clothes that can get wet. From the photos I have seen, they do not go very far into the water.

I would love to get more info as well, in order to make a better educated decision as to which one is the best option.

Bayside has two types of rides, the one hour ride (the one which I told you about, just walking through the water) and the one-and-a-half hour ride (there you go swimming like you said). Lucky Stables also has two rides, a one hour ride and a two hour ride. Both rides take you into the water.

I can assure you that the horses at Lucky Stables are well taken care off! They have a very large area (surrounded by fences) where they can walk freely, in a big herd with all the horses. For me, the ideal keeping of a horse if you look at their nature.

However the horses at Lucky Stables are of a different breed than the horses at Bayside. Lucky Stables has small and compact horses (also paso finos) which can walk easily through the mountain area. Bayside has mostly larger (American) horses. Maybe this is the confusion that people think the horses are 'skinny', while in fact they are just a different breed and have a completely normal weight.

At Lucky Stables the part of going into the water is at the end in the same area where the stables are. This allows you to take off your shoes, shirts and pants (if you like) before you go into the water. So you don't need to worry about your clothes getting wet if you don't want to. I saw people riding in their bikini as well.

You will get wet up until your thighs in the water. The horses are walking through the water, not really swimming, since it is dangerous and irresponsible to go that deep. Sometimes they let you go swimming when you book a swim-with-your-horse adventure or a private ride, but you have to know how to ride to do so.

Hope this helps :)

Quick question...

MSC has the minimum age to book excursion at 12. Both Lucky and Bayside have minimum age at 7. Any reason for the age change? Any chance I can still take my son and have him sign up for the ride when we get to the stables instead of through the cruiseline?

Thanks,

Chris

Quick question...

MSC has the minimum age to book excursion at 12. Both Lucky and Bayside have minimum age at 7. Any reason for the age change? Any chance I can still take my son and have him sign up for the ride when we get to the stables instead of through the cruiseline?

Thanks,

Chris

How old is your child and does he have horsebackriding experience?I know both stables have ponyrides for the young ones, which is just a little ride on the beach with a handler next to him. Although I think this is not what you want, since you're riding a one-hour ride yourself.At Lucky Stables I know they take kids younger than 12 (as you said from 7 years old) for the onehour rides. The guide will take the young child on a leadline right behind him. I think you can book your ride directly with the stables, saying you have a child (tell them his age and they will know if he can go or not). This way you know for sure you can both ride the horse. Otherwise you may have the chance that the ride is fully booked.I don't know how much the ship asks for this excursion? But if you book directly you pay either $60 (Lucky Stables) or $70 (Bayside) for an hour :)

Horseback riding booked through the cruise is 97 adults and 87 children. It doesn't say which stable they are going through. The excursion is 5 hours. I wasn't sure if this was a good price considering it includes transportation. Any ideas from those who have booked through cruise (MSC) or done on their own. Transportation estimates from port (Philips).

If this is a good rate, maybe I can book all of us with cruise and then book my son separately through the stable??

Thanks,

Chris

Another quick question...

If we were to go to Lucky Stables early in the am. Would there be enough time to be dropped off at the beach by the water taxi and then take the water taxi back to the ship? We would like some beach time in St. Maarten in addition to riding the horses. Do they have jet ski rentals/parasailing at that beach (Great Bay??).

Thanks again,

Chris

I rode at Bayside Jan 2008 and it took about 30 minutes by taxi to get there. It is about 5 minutes from Orient Beach and my husband went to Orient Beach while I was riding and then got a taxi at Orient Beach and came to pick me up at Bayside when the ride was over. It cost about $20 each way for the taxi.

I also rode at Lucky Stables Nov 2008. Taxi took about 15 minutes and was about $15 each way. But be sure to have a taxi lined up to pick you up. I did, but there was an accident and it was an hour later than planned when it picked me up and I was getting worried about getting back to the ship in time.

That said, I liked Lucky Stables better. Both rides the horses went in the water, but Bayside I only got my ankles wet. At Lucky Stables, the horse liked the water and went deep enough that the water went over his back. It was awesome.

• 10 months later...

I just made my reservations for Bayside and I'm so excited! My mom and I will be doing a private ride. I just hope they let me do some cantering on the beach since mom isn't an experienced rider. Anyone been on the private ride and know if they let you? Also, the private ride we should be able to go in the water like the regular one right?

Archived