Travelling with 2 kids + 2 seniors - help please!

torontogal70

We are travelling on a Carnival cruise in March and really looking forward to Dominica. I am interested in seeing Titou Gorge (my boys are huge Pirate fans), Emerald Pool and Trafalgar Falls.

My question is regarding accessibility. We are travelling with 2 kids ages 9 and 5 and my father in law is disabled (he walks with a cane and has some mobility issues). Do you think it will be a difficult walk to these places? Is it an uphill climb? We will be booking a tour but wanted to know how challenging it is to get to such places?

My FIL has Parkinson's disease.

Thanks so much! ;)

Just got back and was in Dominica last week at Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls. I was at Emerald Pool last year. IMO these are all "challenging" and would not be appropriate for someone with mobility issues. I felt that the level of difficulty was underrated. The kids would be OK, but I'm not sure your FIL would be.

You either climb down and then up or vice versa. The trails have rough steps - dirt with a log edge - and almost no hand rails. In many places you are stepping down onto rocks. Because of the liability issues, in the US you would not find attractions such as these charging admission to the general public. The conditions were more like those you might find hiking parts of the Appalachian Trail.

It is also important that you wear really good water shoes or have good sneakers and water sandals. I was amazed at how many people were climbing around in flip flops.

I would also ask about others experiences taking children into Titou Gorge, particularly a 5 year old. Swimming is required and even though a water belt is provided, it might be a difficult swim for the kids.

Just got back and was in Dominica last week at Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls. I was at Emerald Pool last year. IMO these are all "challenging" and would not be appropriate for someone with mobility issues. I felt that the level of difficulty was underrated. The kids would be OK, but I'm not sure your FIL would be.

You either climb down and then up or vice versa. The trails have rough steps - dirt with a log edge - and almost no hand rails. In many places you are stepping down onto rocks. Because of the liability issues, in the US you would not find attractions such as these charging admission to the general public. The conditions were more like those you might find hiking parts of the Appalachian Trail.

It is also important that you wear really good water shoes or have good sneakers and water sandals. I was amazed at how many people were climbing around in flip flops.

I would also ask about others experiences taking children into Titou Gorge, particularly a 5 year old. Swimming is required and even though a water belt is provided, it might be a difficult swim for the kids.

Thank you! Your post helped a great deal!

Hi,

My husband and I are active seniors, but we do have some mobility issues. I use a cane, the result of a broken foot a couple of years ago. We have booked twice with Beno, and he is very sensitive to these concerns. We both managed to make it to Trafalgar Falls, but it is steep and slippery. We had on Tevas, which helped with traction. I felt a great sense of accomplishment when we reached the overlook at the end of the trail--it was worth it! You and your children will have no problem. As for your father-in-law, he would be able to wait at the "welcome center" at the beginning of the trail. It's covered; there are concession stands. The walk each way is about 10 or 15 minutes. Emerald Pool is much easier. If you'd like to contact Beno, his email is bnpascal@gmail.com. We recommend him highly. He has a new, immaculate, air-condtioned van and will show you a wonderful time on his beautiful island. :)

Enjoy your cruise!

GG

Archived