Day Spa?

mew1

What exactly is covered with the day spa price, what services do you get to use. Is it worth it? Thank you

mew1

You do not receive any actual services. You get access to the spa. When we went on the Gem, that meant a nice robe to use for the day, a key to a locker, the women's locker room had a sauna, steam room, 2 jacuzzi tubs, showers and lounge chairs looking out the bow of the ship - beautiful view. You also have access to the main spa area which is coed and has a therapy pool, hot tub, showers, loungers and the same wonderful view. There is fruit, OJ and ice water available all day. For us, it was definitely worth it because it is so peaceful in there and allowed us to enjoy the hot tub and pool on a sea day when it would have been too cool and/or too crowded on the pool deck since we sail out of NYC. It took us 6 cruises before we even stepped foot in the spa and we loooooooooooooved it. The amenities will vary by ship. On the day of embarkation, I suggest taking a tour. They give you a tour around the spa so you can see what you will receive for the $ and will also try to sell you on additional services. For us, it was not worth it to get the weekly pass since we only used it on 2 sea days, but it is a better deal for some people.

It would be better titled a thermal suite pass than day spa pass, I think. You receive a locker and bathrobe and entrance to both the unisex relaxation area which has heated tile loungers and chairs, as well as a large thalassotherapy (sp?) pool and the single sex areas which have steam room, dry heat sauna, jacuzzi/hot tub, a lounge area with comfy chairs and view/tv. There are also several creative showers like the rain shower or the alternating hot/cold showers, as well as an icy plunge pool for after the sauna. Some ships also have a lap pool. The Jewel didn't. There are also normal showers and a vanity area with hair dryers, etc...

No services are included.

As to whether it's worth the price, it depends on what you're into. Hubby and I loved it because it was usually very peaceful and was always kid-free. He, especially, loves to sweat, so having such a nice variety of options was right up his alley. (Oh, and the men's side also had a eucalyptus inhalation room, which I don't know why women's side doesn't.) The cruise long pass on a five day cruise is only a bargain if you go everyday and then not much of a bargain...only a savings of $5, if I recall. However, it does let you zoom in and out as often as you want by just handing them your room key and they give you the robe and locker key, as opposed to having to fill out a form and sign for payment every day.

Enjoy!

ee

We love the spa and always buy the weekly pass. It's so relaxing to lie on the heated tile loungers and if you have arthritis (like I do) it's a blessing - the heat seeps into your bones and feels great! We head to the spa after our shore excursions to use the tile loungers and DH loves the steam/sauna.......

While not exactly on topic, at least it's close: are the spa's age restricted? In other words, for those of us not traveling with children, is the spa considered a "kid-free" zone?

Thanks!

Most definitely kid-free, though I cannot recall right now what the age limit is, we never saw a kid. And the adults are all "adults" as well - a very calm atmosphere, such that you almost feel you should whisper.

Hubby and I buy a weekly pass on every cruise. We hit the gym daily, the head over to the spa for steam and sauna and therapy pool. We have some tea (iced or hot), sit in the lounge chair and watch the opposite view of our room as the ship sails into a wide open sea. (Our room is typically a penthouse where we sit on the balcony and watch the wide open sea behind us!

We usually hit the spa on a port day just before 5 pm when it's empty. Then dress for an early dinner. Spa is busier on a sea day. We also buy one extra - the Rasoul for two. We usually do that on the last sea day of the cruise.

The weekly spa pass is the first thing we do once boarding the ship. They provide towels, hair caps, blow dryers, shampoo/conditioner and lotion in the changing room. They have a variety of shower- hot/cold/mist. Colored lights in their tropical showers. It's just nice.

Is there a discount if you reserve as a couple? What would the weekly rate be?

I see you are going on the Majesty. Be sure to take a tour before you decide - or maybe someone can tell you more here. I have not been on the Majesty but since it is smaller and older, I am sure it does not have all the same amenities we are describing here.

Archived