Chickens on the Street in Key West and Mexico?

Gemini8

Please don't be laughing out loud on this one.....I'm cruising with my mother on Jan 2 aboard the Century to the Western Caribbean. Ever since she was a little girl - she is absolutely petrified of feathered creatures. She was told by a "good friend" that there will be chickens running a-muck on the streets of Key West and Cozumel/Playa de Carmen/Tulum.

If anyone has recently been to those ports - would you please respond back and let us know if she will have to stay aboard to avoid the roving bands of hens and roosters!?:eek:

Other than that - we're counting the days til January 2!

Happy cruising to everyone!

Thanks so much for the reply....the last time I saw roving bands of chickens was on a 3rd class train in southern spain......I'll pass on the information and not take her cruising in the hawaiian islands! ;)

Saw lot's of roosters and chicks in key west. In fact the roosters are kind of pretty. they don't bother anyone. mostly they ignore you. saw one or two in Cozumel. Many of the carribean islands have some running around. They are not in the least intimidating.

Roosters are the Key West official mascot. A few pretty ones around the courthouse and on some private lawns. None in the street; they aren't dumb! In Cozumel, no chickens. Even out way in the jungle going to Tulum

along the country roads, we saw no chickens. So "don't be chicken" about them.What is more likely to scare your family is young dudes on motorbikes in both places.

I did see plenty of chickens in Key West the last time I was there BUT, I saw on the news that they were going to do something about doing away with the large amount of the chickens. The news said that a lot of the people wanted to leave them as they are. Seems like some of all those cats would have a big meal and help with the problem. They would run and get out of the way of people but we did see where one had been hit by a car. Maybe they need a Kentucky fried chicken down there.

Key West recently hired an official "chicken catcher" to keep them under control. There are some around, but it's not a nuisance factor for most people. However, if your mother has a phobia about them, it could be a problem as you will probably see a few. There will also be a lot of rather large wading birds on the beaches and around the docks.

In Hawaii, the chickens are primarily on the island of Kuaui, scattered from a ranch after a hurricane and now all over the island. They tend to gather around the tourist areas as they get food tossed their way. Sort of like cruise ship passengers congregating around the Lido deck:D

Grumpy

:D Thanks so much for all the comments....My mom's phobia is very real - she was "pecked" at a marketplace when she was a little girl...guess I may just "keep her on board" in Key West and get her a pampering at the spa!

Definately chickens, roosters and baby chicks in KW -- they are known for them. Just take the conch train in KW and your mom will be fine - very nice tour to see the island - most of the guides are older, retired people and they know all the history and are really fun to tour with - we have done it twice and both guides were wonderful. Ernest Hemingways house is also very interesting to visit, as is the original Margaritaville!!!! We love KW. The chickens are also not on the main shopping street....just the back streets and over by the water. I think there were just birds in Cozumel in the square b/c people were feeding them...I am not a "fan" either, but they didnt bother you. Birds are in the parks in Old San Juan, also. Roosters are quite "cocky", pardon the pun, in KW!!!! They strut their stuff. We love Century and I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip!!!!

We've seen a few chickens in Key West. Never more than a couple together. It would be a shame to miss seeing the port and grabbing a couple of conch fritters and maybe some key lime pie :o

In Mexico we have never encountered any roaming chickens. I think free roaming chickens there are often referred to as almuerzo (lunch). :eek:

If you're not phobic, absolutely charming. Don't miss "The Chicken Store" toward the far end (from the dock) of Duvall Street, in a small converted house. Only place we bought souvenirs :) wish we could have adopted a chicken ...

TR

Millennium EC 12/12/04

Mercury CA-MX 4/04, Infinity AK 8/03, Century WC 3/03, Century EC 9/02

One of the coolest places to eat in Key West is Blue Heaven in Bahama Village. Part of the charm is that they have an outdoor courtyard in which chickens and cats walk around and under your table while you eat. Tell your Mom to put on her Big Girl Panties and deal with it. :)

I did see plenty of chickens in Key West the last time I was there BUT, I saw on the news that they were going to do something about doing away with the large amount of the chickens.

Well, that was the plan. They even hired somebody to take care of rounding a few of them up, but he quit about two months ago. When I was there last March, they were still around and about. It's not like she'll be tripping over them or anything, but you'll see them here and there all over the place. There always seems to be "mom + Chicks" outside Mel's museum, and Even Hemmingway's cats seem to have come to some sort of agreement with them!

To get back to OP's question and before we increase any paranoid reactions here -

Yes, there are some roving roosters, hens and chicks in Key West but never seen them bother anyone. They're just pecking out a living from their surroundings like everyone else. Difference is, their eyes are to the ground most often.

Only chickens we've ever seen in Cozumel have been on the menu boards.

We have seen roving donkeys in Aruba, a few scurrying creatures in Jamaica and a couple of pink elephants in piano bars, but nothing that caused us to feel threatened -

Well. there was that Montezuma's Revenge in Cancun but that had something to do with bad guacamole dip and too many margarittas in the blazing sun.

Dianne

I was in Key West the end of last week. No "bands" of roaming chickens. I did hear roosters crowing when we docked. You will see a few stray chickens and roosters around town. I was looking at flip-flops from a vendor's wagon in the market when a chicken jumped out of the wooden cubby-hole the shoes were displayed in. I grew up on a farm,but still jumped back because it startled me, not because it would hurt me.Good luck with mom!!

I remember the chickens in KW. They were cool. I can tell you where to find them. You know the preferred shopping list they pass out on board? Well, there is a shop listed that has nothing but pet stuff. Follow the map they give you to it. Outside in the courtyard you will find hens, roosters, and chicks. Have fun!

Archived