Day Sail

danie1le85

We just got back from our cruise and used Captain Max and her assistant Julie. They were awesome. Only 6 people on the boat, they were very informative and concerned that everyone had a good time. We would book with her again. Great food, wonderful rum punches, after snorkeling of course. Her boat is the Lou named after her father.

Was this a full day or 1/2 day sail? where did it leave from? How long? How much pp? we have 2 kids, 2 adults.

Thanks

We just got back from our cruise and used Captain Max and her assistant Julie. They were awesome. Only 6 people on the boat, they were very informative and concerned that everyone had a good time. We would book with her again. Great food, wonderful rum punches, after snorkeling of course. Her boat is the Lou named after her father.

Thanks for alll you help. My problem is that I am somewhat troubled with mobility, due to knee replacement. Is Capt. Jim with sailjester? Had a great email from them. Unfortunately, highpockets is totally booked for the day we will be in St.thomas, JollyMon only does 1/2 day sails and Rumbaba does not have a swim ladder. Now the BIG question, go with sailjester or the winnifred? Winnifred, I have booked,but don't like what I am reading. Please give me your advice. thanks

Thanks for alll you help. My problem is that I am somewhat troubled with mobility, due to knee replacement. Is Capt. Jim with sailjester? Had a great email from them. Unfortunately, highpockets is totally booked for the day we will be in St.thomas, JollyMon only does 1/2 day sails and Rumbaba does not have a swim ladder. Now the BIG question, go with sailjester or the winnifred? Winnifred, I have booked,but don't like what I am reading. Please give me your advice. thanks

I was not sure about Winnifred also because of some of the reviews. Highpockets was booked but she referred me to Pam of the boat Fantasy.

She sent me a nice email and says her boat has a custom made deep ladder for easy entrance/exit from the water. This might work well for you.

Her email is pam@sailingvi.com

I will do a review when I get back. Our sail is for March 21:)

We went with Capt'n Jim aboard the Jester back in Sept. 06 and had a wonderful time. One of our friends that came with us has had a knee replacement and is a little heavy and she had no problems getting on/off the sailboat and in and out of the water.

Let me begin by saying that we have sailed with Capt. Jim more than 3 times. We cruise every year and spend our day in St. Thomas with him without exception. We have thought numerous times that we might try something new in St. Thomas and all it has to offer; but we just can't imagine not spending the most enjoyable day of our cruise anywhere else.

Capt. Jim is so very accomodating. He picks you up in a dinghy and transfers you to the Jester. This can be a little tricky; but he assists your every need. After you board - he goes through safety procedures and offers small breakfast (cereal bars, granola, etc.) or if you are like us - we prefer the liquid libation breakfast (ha, couldn't resist).

Capt. Jim is very informative and has tons of knowledge about sailing, the islands, local cluture, history, etc. or if you like - he "shuts up" and just lets you enjoy the sail listening to awesome music.

The Jester is well taken care of and clean - he takes a lot of pride in what he does.

You then sail away and he takes you to St. John for snorkeling. If you are on the full day sail - he prepares lunch while you snorkel. Last year we were served a scrumptous Jerk Chicken with corn coblets and fresh fruit - fantastic!

After lunch you sail back to St. Thomas. Jim is so layed back and he jumps around that boat like a little monkey butler - and I say that with the utmost respect and appreciation.

He is without a doubt - an accomodating host. He serves refreshment at your asking.

If you are a smoker - her allows that as well, paying full attention to extinguishing properly without polluting the environment.

I hope this has been informative - and would love to answer any specific questions you might have. Good Luck and make sure and tell Capt. Jim that Crystal and Chuck from Texas sent ya............C.

I'm sorry to see some people had a negative experiance with Winifred. That is not the experiance my wife and I had. It was hands down the best shore excursion we have ever been on, and we have been to St. Thomas at least a dozen or so times. I really enjoyed not being crowded on the boat, just sitting back and relaxing.

On our way to St. Johns the weather turned very nasty, and the Capt was able to keep the boat out of the downpours and thunderstorms. The sun did come out, and we enjoyed some great snorkling away from the crowds. The lunch on board was delicious, and the hosts were attentive to all of our needs. My wife was a very beggining snorkler at the time, and they went in the water with her and guided her around. After several minutes, she became more comfortable in the water, and was able to do some swimming around on her own.

I guess an "off" day can happen here and there when you operate 7 days a week, and I wish the other posters could have been on the Winifred another day. Truely a great day in paradise.

BK

Has anybody used St. Thomas Cruise Excursions(Island Marketing LTD)?

Also, could we get some websites and prices for the other sailings besides Highpockets?

Thank you!

Last sailing: Carnival Holiday 1992(I know it's been too long....)

As far as prices for other daysails, you can go to vinow....com and there are many charters in St. Thomas. We are booked on the Jolly Mon on April 15 and are so excited. Hope this helps

I'm sorry to see some people had a negative experiance with Winifred. That is not the experiance my wife and I had. It was hands down the best shore excursion we have ever been on, and we have been to St. Thomas at least a dozen or so times. I really enjoyed not being crowded on the boat, just sitting back and relaxing.

On our way to St. Johns the weather turned very nasty, and the Capt was able to keep the boat out of the downpours and thunderstorms. The sun did come out, and we enjoyed some great snorkling away from the crowds. The lunch on board was delicious, and the hosts were attentive to all of our needs. My wife was a very beggining snorkler at the time, and they went in the water with her and guided her around. After several minutes, she became more comfortable in the water, and was able to do some swimming around on her own.

I guess an "off" day can happen here and there when you operate 7 days a week, and I wish the other posters could have been on the Winifred another day. Truely a great day in paradise.

BK

Except for the downpours and thunderstorms, that was our day on that lovely boat :) Actually it rained once when we were snorkelling and it only added to the enjoyment :D

We had beautiful weather and it was truly one of the best days on the best vacation we have ever had AND we take lots of vacations.

My dh went into the day pissed off that I spent that kind of money without letting him know ( I did it as a surprise) and half way through the day he leant over to thank me for arranging it :)

I keep on reading about the odd poster that has the bad day or bad meal and I think back to our lovely day with the great lunch and drinks and wonder what ship they (or we) were actually on cause they sound so different :eek:

Are these just private charters? I'll only be with my boyfriend, and I'd definitely prefer to do one of these smaller sailings than the larger cruiseline ones, but it seems from the websites that they're private groups only?

Yes, most of these people are talking about on this thread are for up to 6 people. If I have read correctly some will only reserve you if you have the 6, I could be wrong about that but I think I have read that a few times. I've always used Kathleen of Highpockets & she will reserve you for less then 6. For example we are booked with her in November for just three of us. Between now & then I will try to help her fill the other 3 spots via this thread & my Roll Call thread (it's not very active yet). It's 140.00PP if you pay with a credit card or 130.00PP if you pay in cash. She will require you to post a credit card but does not run it unless you just don't show up. if for some reason your ship doesn't make it to St. Thomas that day she will not run your card. The sail includes Open Bar, lunch, sailing to more secluded coves for swimming & snorkeling. Here is the web iste: http://pws.prserv.net/sailhighpockets/

The sailing with her was the most wonderful excursion we have done in 15 cruises. It is well worth the money. You would probably pay at least 75.00PP to do a Catamaran with a large group on a cruise ship excursion. I would rather pay the extra & not feel like cattle be herded through a gate.

Are these just private charters? I'll only be with my boyfriend, and I'd definitely prefer to do one of these smaller sailings than the larger cruiseline ones, but it seems from the websites that they're private groups only?

Hi Sunsoaker - Gracie 65 is correct. Capt. Jim with Jester Sailing Adventures has a maximum capacity of 6 too; but will negociate price if you want a private sailing just on your own - check out his website - I will answer any questions you might have and I HIGHLY recommend him. http://www.sailjester.com. Good Luck! Crystal.

My husband and I just got back from our 3rd cruise! For our stop in St. Thomas, we sailed with Capt. Adam on the Ike Witt. It was a wonderful day...he took great care of us, very personable and taught my husband a lot about sailing. There was only one other couple on the trip that day, and we had a blast. It was the best excursion of our cruise.

Highly recommended...We will be booking again next year!

• 2 weeks later...
We are going to Saint Thomas in May on AOS and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Caribbean Sail to Christmas & Honeymoon Coves offered by RCCL or could recommend another day sail? Much Appreciated.

The Caribbean Sail to Christmas and Honeymoon Cove is an excellent excursion. We've done it 4 times (twice on Bones, once on Dolphin and once on Doubloon). It is a great day (especially if you have nice weather).

Ok, I'm back with my review as promised. As you may remember from

my earlier posts on this thread, we were a group of 8 so we needed two

boats. Highpockets was booked but they referred us to Fantasy.

Pam, the captain of Fantasy responded right away and promised to have

two boats there to take us on our day sail. It was $125.00 per person

and if we wanted the boats for just our group she said we would need

to "buy out" the other spots. I don't know if she would have negociated

on the price for this but we just booked for our group. Four to a boat.

The other boat turned out to be The "Winifred", my family sailed on Fantasy

with Pam. The other boat the Winifred did indeed have two other people on it not with our group. Both of our families had a fantastic time and agreed it was the best day of the trip. We sailed to St. John and all snorkeled together. We saw lots of fish and turtles too. Then we played on the beach for about an hour. This was the only down side, the beaches are public but someone from the resort came down and asked us to leave. Pam was not with us, her first mate was and he clearly had not had that happen befor. When we told Pam, back on the boat what had happened she was very annoyed. She assured us she had all permits to use the beaches

we went to and as long as we didn't try to use resort facilities like chair

etc (which we certainly did not!) we had every right to be on the beach.

It was a minor thing as were getting ready to head back to boat soon but

it was a bit disturbing. Anyway, the captain and crew were were nice and

a lovely lunch was prepared, drinks were always offered. While I was not

on the Winifred the other family raved about their captain and crew too.

The plan had been for the two boats to be together but the water was too

choppy for that so they were anchored several yards away.

It was money well spent and I would do it again, we had a great day!

Any questions, I will be happy to answer!

Has anybody used St. Thomas Cruise Excursions(Island Marketing LTD)?

Also, could we get some websites and prices for the other sailings besides Highpockets?

Thank you!

http://www.independence44.us/

Check out the photos

$125 plus tip for Ray the deckhand. Lunch and rum punch, etc. included. Red Hook bay departure point.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Can you tell me what was served for lunch on the Independence and whether there's music onboard? Also, do they accompany you in the water when you're snorkling? We're tring to decide between Independence and Jester.

Might look up on the web the sailing ship Winifred. Capt Sharon offers an awesome time on her large sailboat. My wife and I have sailed with her before. She takes small groups (4-6, maybe as big as 8, but not sure). The time we sailed, it was my wife and I and a family of 4. AWESOME time, with adult beverages and soft drinks/water and a fine lunch plus snacks included. Great sailing and plenty of beach and/or snorkeling stops. We'd highly recommend!!

After reading all the reviews we have decided to try High Pockets this trip. We have sailed before with Winifred and thought it was perfect! However, this time she wasn't available for the times we needed so we had to go with another operator. If anyone has been on recently, i'd love info!

After reading all the reviews we have decided to try High Pockets this trip. We have sailed before with Winifred and thought it was perfect! However, this time she wasn't available for the times we needed so we had to go with another operator. If anyone has been on recently, i'd love info!

You will have a wonderful day with Kathleen. Lunch will be one of the highlights. I was a bit apprehensive because I thought how good is some chicken dish going to be???? Well, let me tell you, it has been the best chicken dish I have ever had. I liked it so much she sent me the recipe & I make it a few times a month now. We are booked again in November & can't wait. When do you go? If it's before me tell her Tracey from SC says hello!!

Archived