Bonaire help please!

beckyjohns

We are looking at doing a shore dive in Bonaire. All the information I'm getting looks like you have to pay a $25 fee per person to even be able to dive, plus whatever the dive shop charges for tanks and weights. It also looks like we'll have to do some sort of dive orientation prior to diving. Is this right? Or am I just reading the info wrong?

We are looking at doing a shore dive in Bonaire. All the information I'm getting looks like you have to pay a $25 fee per person to even be able to dive, plus whatever the dive shop charges for tanks and weights. It also looks like we'll have to do some sort of dive orientation prior to diving. Is this right? Or am I just reading the info wrong?

You are correct. All divers must purchase a $25 nature tag ($10 for other users such as snorkelers, swimmers, etc.). There is an orientation, but it's not much different than any other dive briefing you might get on the way to a dive site.

Have a great time!

Becky, I don't know about swimmers, but anybody snorkeling or diving is supposed to pay for a tag that gives you license to dive in Bonaire. Anyplace that's going to rent you the gear is going to make sure you've got your tag. The money goes toward maintaining the underwater ecosystem.

It is a handsome tag that you attach to your BC. You'll be the envy of all your friends diving at the quarry back home when they see your Bonaire National Marine Park tag! :)

I have never been to BON on a cruise, but I have been there 5 times for land-based dive trips. Every diver does need to purchase the Marine Park tag, and I wondered if they would enforce this on cruise ship day-trippers. The "orientation" is just a short talk and the instruction to you and your buddy to go and check yourselves out. They don't send anybody with you or make you clear your mask or demonstrate any skills. Even with the $25 tag fee, you'll still get a couple of dives for cheaper than any cruise ship excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

I just was in Bonaire on the Emerald Princess last week feb 18-28 the marine park fee was 10 per diver, and I would highly reccomend Buddie Dive resort for your dives, it was $55 bucks per person + 10 marine park fee, and 15 if you needed gear plus if your nitrox cert they offer you free nitrox upgrade, we were greated at the pier by some staff members, taked to a small dive shop given our equipment and then taken to the buddie dive resort where we were given our tanks, weights, if you were nitrox cert you analized your air right there then we boarded the dive boat and off we were to the first dive site, after that dive which was great en route to the 2nd dive site they had a cooler full of fresh watermelon after a hour of surface time we dove our 2nd dive site after the dive they broke down our gear for us and then took us directly back to the ship !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they went above and beyond what I expected and I would dive with them again in a heartbeat. plus 55 bucks a person booked on your own vs 139 a person through princess. no brainer

Recently returned from Bonaire, walked to the right of the Port dock about 1km or less. Pd $20 per person for use of beach chair, washroom, and pool. Snorkeled off shore and saw amazing things. Even as we put on equipment. Some other people noted stings on their backs after being at airport beach. Just beyond where we were. Just walked to the end of the street and through parking lot to beach resort. Friendly and helpful and cold beer. Enjoy

Archived