Mayan Ruins Tour

NKG6002

If anyone has taken this tour I would like your input. Years ago my brother went on a tour and said it was wonderful EXCEPT the bus ride. They were "white knuckled" the whole trip. Rickety bus, driven FAST on what looked like a one lane dirt road with equally fast buses coming in the opposite direction. NOT FOR ME !!!! But I SO want to see the ruins !

If anyone has taken this tour I would like your input. Years ago my brother went on a tour and said it was wonderful EXCEPT the bus ride. They were "white knuckled" the whole trip. Rickety bus, driven FAST on what looked like a one lane dirt road with equally fast buses coming in the opposite direction. NOT FOR ME !!!! But I SO want to see the ruins !

Guess we'll need to know which Mayan Ruins Tour at which port?

I can't spell them! Alta Ha and Chic something. Sorry!

I haven't been to Alta Ha. Are you going to Chaccoben in Costa Maya? Those are the only pyramids I have seen and I really enjoyed the tour. It was a magical place. I went through a private tour company though so I can't comment on NCL's.

I haven't been to Alta Ha. Are you going to Chaccoben in Costa Maya? Those are the only pyramids I have seen and I really enjoyed the tour. It was a magical place. I went through a private tour company though so I can't comment on NCL's.

Yes, Bermuder that's one of them. Chaccoben. Was it dangerous on the roads?

The other one is in Belize. Altun?

Yes, Bermuder that's one of them. Chaccoben. Was it dangerous on the roads?

The other one is in Belize. Altun?

I believe Altun Ha is more elaborate that Chaccoben but also a longer journey and on pot-hole ridden roads. Have you looked at the port boards for Belize for information on this excursion? Chaccoben was an easy journey - not dangerous.

Okay. As long as I'm not booked on the 'Ruined Bus Tour' next month!:p

I can't spell them! Alta Ha and Chic something. Sorry!

It's been a while back but I did Altun Ha (I booked it through a local there-sorry, it's been so long ago I don't remember his name). Excellent tour-despite what I had heard about Altun Ha being a 'minor' ruin. I have a bunch of photos in my webshots link-2 folders-Norwegian Sun Dec '04

The private excursion did load us in a van and give us a really 'fun' ride.

Belize has a lot of one lane paved roads in their rural areas, and when they do meet traffic in the opposite direction they pull over unto the gravel. Its not that bad a ride.

If this worries you that much, do the ruins in Mexico. Mexico has a lot of divided four lane, and a full two lane paved roads, very few if any one lane paved roads.

As long as we are whipping out our photo albums :D, here is a link to my 06-07 cruise which includes my family at the Chaccoben pyramids. http://picasaweb.google.com/baross76/20062007Cruise#

Have you seen "blazing saddles"? Your comment reminds me of a line by Sheriff Bart

Between your photos & mine of the ruins, Ms Belp can cancel the excursions & save some money ;)

Don is right, they do pull over when they meet oncoming traffic...sometimes there isn't room (or gravel) to pull over to, but they do it anyway (no choice). And at 50-60 mph it gets fun! :D (but no cliffs to go over, so it should be easy to find the remains ;)). Seriously I didn't feel I was endangered but some of the other people in the van let out audible 'gasps'

Have you seen "blazing saddles"? Your comment reminds me of a line by Sheriff Bart

Between your photos & mine of the ruins, Ms Belp can cancel the excursions & save some money ;)

Don is right, they do pull over when they meet oncoming traffic...sometimes there isn't room (or gravel) to pull over to, but they do it anyway (no choice). And at 50-60 mph it gets fun! :D (but no cliffs to go over, so it should be easy to find the remains ;)). Seriously I didn't feel I was endangered but some of the other people in the van let out audible 'gasps'

LOL! If other people were gasping, I would be jumping off while screaming!! But you got me laughing so hard, I'd almost try it. Just give me my little "fear of flying" pills. I still think...I ain't a goin! You're right; I can use the money at the Cozumel beach resort I've decided to do instead of horseback riding!:p

LOL! If other people were gasping, I would be jumping off while screaming!! But you got me laughing so hard, I'd almost try it. Just give me my little "fear of flying" pills. I still think...I ain't a goin! You're right; I can use the money at the Cozumel beach resort I've decided to do instead of horseback riding!:p

I don't think they've lost any cruisers going there in a long long time. Go ahead - you'll enjoy it.

He road a blazing Saddle

He wore a shining star

His job to offer battle

to bad men near & far.

I don't think they've lost any cruisers going there in a long long time. Go ahead - you'll enjoy it.

He road a blazing Saddle

He wore a shining star

His job to offer battle

to bad men near & far.

I ain't a goin, I tell ya.:D Not with my run of luck lately!

Sing me more!:)

I believe Altun Ha is more elaborate that Chaccoben but also a longer journey and on pot-hole ridden roads. Have you looked at the port boards for Belize for information on this excursion? Chaccoben was an easy journey - not dangerous.

Thank you for the info on Chaccoben. I'll keep this excursion. As for the rest, I have changed them.

Costa Maya-Chaccoben

Santo Tomas-Trolley Town Tour

Belize- nada (maybe some shopping off the ship)

Cozumel-Playa Mia Deluxe Beach Break

We did Altun Ha last March and I don't remember the ride being bad at all. And trust me, if it had been, I'd have been one of the gaspers. The ruins are impressive; I'd go if I were you.

Thanks for that! I just don't need to stress myself out any more than I already am. I think I'll wait for another day. Between going with the in-laws (whom I really don't know, despite 16 years as of today), my medical problems, etc. I just don't want to risk it.:)

Archived