Prescription Dive Mask

CaniacRN

DH and I are going on a Bahamas cruise on NCL Majesty in 6 weeks. We love snorkeling, but we're planning on doing a "Discover Scuba" thing while on our cruise. Both of us are ridiculously blind - way worse than "Oh just being in the water will make it better!" :rolleyes: When we were in Hawaii, we were able to rent prescription masks. Because we're planning on doing the cruise excursion, I doubt it would be possible to A- find somewhere in Nassau that rents and B- get it before the excursion starts.

Is there anywhere online that rents them (send to me at home, send back when we get back)? Or does anyone have any recs for a good mask to buy? I think that costs just as much as the pop-in lenses, so I'd rather buy the whole mask. We're not huge into snorkeling/diving, but we enoy it on our vacations, about once a year. Thank you!

Check out Scuba Toys http://www.scubatoys.com/ They have a number of masks which can have prescription lenses. If the web site does not list your favorite mask or lenses strong enough for you (remember that because of water magnification you can go down a couple of steps) give them a call - they might be able to get them for you. A quick check of the site shows a Tusa Splendive II for $44.65 and lenses for $29.95 each.

A prescription mask has made the world of difference for me. My eyes are about -10. With the -8 lenses things are clear and the diving is easy.

Try these folks for your mask. Their quality is excellent and they offer a variety of mask styles/shapes that will fit any face. You can get your mask with a "purge" - so you can get any leakage out without raising your head out of the water when snorkeling. They can grind the lenses with your own personal prescription.

http://www.seavisionusa.com/index.shtml

PS - get a black skirt - they are softer and seal better than clear.

I was having my usual eye check up and mentioned that I had just got certified for scuba and that I really wish I could do it and see better. They actually offer a scuba mask and exchangable lenses. So as I need a change in my script I just order new lenses not the whole mask. Worth a shot to try your optometrist.

I was having my usual eye check up and mentioned that I had just got certified for scuba and that I really wish I could do it and see better. They actually offer a scuba mask and exchangable lenses. So as I need a change in my script I just order new lenses not the whole mask. Worth a shot to try your optometrist.

Hi,

Actually there's several vendors that do this. You can ask your local dive center the same question for comparison shopping. :)

Randall

I chose instead to use disposable contact lenses. If that is an option for you I'd recommend it. The advantages for me were that I didn't have to worry about storing my prescription eye wear on the excursion, just took along an inexpensive pair of regular sunglasses and I could use a regular mask (although I took my own mask & snorkel due to sanitary concerns).

We sell optical masks in varying thicknesses for near-sightedness. They cost way less than having one made. Bought one for my daughter before I certified her in Hawaii, and it works great. Ditto the suggestion of contacts as well. I dove for 2 years with contacts before laser surgery.

which I purchased at a dive shop after becoming a certified diver. I am one of those individuals that can see pretty well normally (-1.25) but with the prescription mask, it is amazing! Lenses are removable and can be replaced with a stronger prescription at any later date when it may change. The mask was not cheap, around $100 (Cdn) and the lenses were $40 each. I think it's well worth it though as the mask will last forever and I know it's available for me on every vacation!

Archived