Alaska Cruise Tour -- Has Anyone Done One Solo?

elycelynne

Not that I have one planned in the immediate future, but was wondering if any of you have gone solo on one? I imagine that the dynamic of the "tour" part would be kind of different in that there probably wouldn't be as much to do at the lodge at night or other free time as on the ship itself. Any experiences? Would it be weird to be a solo in that situation?

I did an 10-night Alaska cruisetour in May 2005, and had an absolute blast. There are plenty of activities arranged for the evenings at the lodges (like local cultural performances). The only downtime you'll have is if you carve it out for yourself.

Also, if you book one of these cruisetours, get involved with the roll call, and you'll have plenty of new friends from the moment you arrive.

I went last July and to show how much I enjoyed it I have two more solo cruises planned Sept this year and Feb next:)

I loved having my space and not waiting on others. I did meet others along the way but mainly did my own thing. I did book excursions in each port which I happen to love and especially in Alaska I think was what made it such a spectacular trip. Two I made with independent operators based on reviews here on cruise critic and they were wonderful.

Island Wings in Ketchikan (float plane) beautiful, beautiful....

a 4 hour tour with Capt Davey on the Esther G. in Sitka which I plan on repeating next trip he was wonderful and Sitka so beautiful.

I made two tours with the boat (Holland America) The photo tour in Juneau was one of my cheaper excursions and I have some of my best photos from it, only regretted I wasn't more knowledgable about cameras and photography I would have learned alot more than I did, but still, very enjoyable and experience not required. Got my whale tail shot on that trip. The nice thing also is they only take 16 people and I prefer small groups when I can manage it.

My blow out excursion was the helicopter tour, I did pilots choice where they land on two glaciers and it was wonderful. Probably not one I would repeat mainly based on price but spectacular pictures and great pilot.

You will make wonderful memories and have a great time.

Have fun, Nice to relive the memories myself

( sorry reread your post and see you asked about cruise tour but still can't imaging it being anything than better than the cruise itself. It is still in my plans. I see myself sitting on a deck looking at Denali...)

Nanb

I looked at the pricing of one such tour and it really turned me off. Looked like the tour portion was strictly 200%...and I could arrange a similar ground trip much cheaper on my own. But I didn't call the cruise line to negotiate, so MAYBE a break of some kind would have been available.

Archived