Short fins for snorkeling

kittikat

I have spent most of today on the internet looking at snorkel fins. I think I have it narrowed down to either US Divers Trek travel fins or the US Divers Shredder II fins. My fins are so long they are a pain to pack and then have to carry around the islands, so I am thinking of getiing some of these really short, light-weight fins. Does anyone have either of these type fins? I am looking for opinions before I order.

We had the same problems, so the last few times we've snorkeled we just wore our beach/river/water shoes and haven't missed our fins at all!

As you know, you can kind of just float around at most snorkeling places, so we do just that and bye bye bulky fins:)

We have not had any problems getting around wearing the shoes when we wanted to speed it up a little either

Thanks, these are the ones I am looking at and you are right about even going without fins. I got a blister on my toe the last snorkel trip so I finished the excursion barefoot and it wasn't too bad. I just think I would feel better with a little help from fins if I got into a current or needed to get out of a bloom of jellyfish or something. I think I am going to go ahead and order them, they are not too expensive.

shreddersurf2.jpg.b28c7261426394796e67189e1d9a7c2d.jpg

:D I got them ordered from isnorkel dot com, I looked around some and they seemed to have about the best price. If you find them cheaper, i don't want to know;)

I am glad to hear you have actually talked to people who had them. The guy at our dive shop I talked to today tried to talk me out of them, of course he wanted to sell me what he had.

I have spent most of today on the internet looking at snorkel fins. I think I have it narrowed down to either US Divers Trek travel fins or the US Divers Shredder II fins. My fins are so long they are a pain to pack and then have to carry around the islands, so I am thinking of getiing some of these really short, light-weight fins. Does anyone have either of these type fins? I am looking for opinions before I order.

I have both, for snorkeling the US Divers short fins are best. The long ones are for scuba. The short ones let you be more mobile to go side to side and the long ones are for going longer distances straight ahead.

I wanted the short fins and a local dive shop said they were only good for swimming laps in a pool and would not help for snorkeling, so we ended up getting longer split fins.....and never use them....we snorkel all over the Caribbean and end up leaving the fins behind and using water shoes in the water, so buying the fins was a total waste of money. I have had people say the short fins worked well for them, though....and when packing for a cruise, the fins take up so much room and weight, so we have decided to just leave them home in the future.

:D I got them ordered from isnorkel dot com, I looked around some and they seemed to have about the best price. If you find them cheaper, i don't want to know;)

LOL You couldn't resist could you? And I shopped for WEEKS!! :D

kittikat

We got the shredder II fins and they work great. While the longer fins might be better for diving, or free diving, when swimming on the top of the water while snorkeling I find that smaller fins work much better for us. Could be we're just amateurs and don't know proper technique - but what works and is comfortable is good enough for me!! And they are smaller and lighter than other fins we've bought.

Got a nice price on Amazon Although if fins are provided, or can be rented at the snorkeling site, we usually don't bother to bring our own.

To help in fit and to prevent blisters or chaffing pick up some thin neoprene fin socks. You can find these on lots of online dive equipment sites. Be sure to buy some that don't have a sole - they fit better in fins that are designed to be worn over bare feet. They run about $8 to $10 plus shipping.

Ok, you guys convinced me, today I bought a US divers set at Walmart for $29. that included the Trek short Fins, an Icon mask and snorkel.

Not bad for an occasional snorkeler:)

Which Walmart which town? I was looking for some fins like these and not finding them that price online and I cant see them at Walmart online.

I just got short adult fins/with mask and air... From ll bean ...with my 30 dollars coupons... They cost me 40...havent tried them yet but they look good and the air tube looks like it will work well

To help in fit and to prevent blisters or chaffing pick up some thin neoprene fin socks. You can find these on lots of online dive equipment sites. Be sure to buy some that don't have a sole - they fit better in fins that are designed to be worn over bare feet. They run about $8 to $10 plus shipping.

I have found that rubbing Vaseline on your feet first will also prevent blisters and chaffing.

Archived