Packing tips needed

fisherhum

Hi all,

We leave on Wed for vacation and I'm stressing about getting everything packed. It's not so much what to take but how to arrange it all. We are doing a "double" vacation which is causing the stress for packing. First week we are at Disney World- clothing requirements... casual, walking, slightly warm/cool weather. The next week we are cruising in Eastern Caribbean. Clothing requirement... formal nights, less casual on the ship, beach etc for shore...

I was hoping to keep the packing to 1 suitcase for each person (me, DH, and kids (6 and 8). If needed I'll pack a 5th.

I hoped some of you very seasoned travellers would have some suggestions on how to arrange it all. I had initially thought, one bag for each persons things, then had a thought that I should pack 2 for the first week, 2 for the second... this isn't quite working either...

I only have 4 days left to get this organized so any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi, looks like the Orlando area is having some mighty nice weather right now, so if it was me..I would stick to your original plan, one suitcase for each person and take the extra 1 suitcase with just formal cruise clothes. You could do laundry in between the disney vacation and the cruise. The least amount of luggage in my opinion is better. You will get a lot of replies re: what if their luggage is lost? cross packing..a little of each persons clothe in all cases, all answers will have their merits.

Just think all that you plan on taking will work for both vacations!:D

Hope this helps! And have a great time!

Hi again, just had another thought, with your kids being so young..I bet you could pack all their clothes in one suitcase. They can wear a couple pairs of shorts with different tops etc. Must confess though I haven't packed for children in quite awhile.:D

Hi all,

We leave on Wed for vacation and I'm stressing about getting everything packed. It's not so much what to take but how to arrange it all. We are doing a "double" vacation which is causing the stress for packing. First week we are at Disney World- clothing requirements... casual, walking, slightly warm/cool weather. The next week we are cruising in Eastern Caribbean. Clothing requirement... formal nights, less casual on the ship, beach etc for shore...

I was hoping to keep the packing to 1 suitcase for each person (me, DH, and kids (6 and 8). If needed I'll pack a 5th.

I hoped some of you very seasoned travellers would have some suggestions on how to arrange it all. I had initially thought, one bag for each persons things, then had a thought that I should pack 2 for the first week, 2 for the second... this isn't quite working either...

I only have 4 days left to get this organized so any suggestions are appreciated.

For the children, get gallon sized ziplocks and label the bags Day 1 (childs name) WDW, Day 2 WDW etc....and place a complete outfit in each bag. Shorts, tops, pants or sweater if needed, socks, undies, hair ribbons, barrettes, shoes if wearing different with certain outfits. Pack all in 1 suitcase and label it as WDW stuff for the children. That way you won't have to bother unpacking all suitcases at WDW.

Then do the same for the cruise with labeled zip locks of outfits for each child. Again place all cruise stuff in 1 suitcases and label it.

When I pack I put all of my undies/bras/night clothes in zip locks. That way if my bag is searched, no one is touching my panties.

I also pack 1 carryon bag with 2 pairs of undies and 1 complete outfit & nightclothes for each of us. You never know when luggage will be lost.

If you can pack your formal clothing in a hanging garment bag it will give you more room in your suitcases.

Good luck and have a wonderful time. We love WDW and visit every year.

I'm in the same boat, but reversed - 7 day cruise then Disney. 3 adults and 2 kids. I'm hoping we can manage with 3 big suitcases and one medium suitcase, plus carryons. We'll fit as much of the kids' clothes in the medium suitcase as we can, and the rest we'll try to fit in the big suitcases. We'll only do one formal night and even that, we're going more semi-formal than formal. No long gowns or tuxedos in our luggage. The biggest problem is shoes - I currently have 8 pairs out for myself and I find that ridiculous. I just don't know what to cut!

We're going to do laundry between the 2 parts of the trip, so the kids only need one week of clothes. We'll bring a couple of cuter things just for the cruise, but not tons. They don't like dressing up anyway.

We have cruising down to a science at this point. I dispense with the fine dining- Holland America has the same food in the buffet that they serve in the main diningroom. The Pinnacle Grill is fantastic and not to be missed. So you and hubby need to bring some nice clothes for fine dining. Unless your kids really want to do the main dining- I would save money and not even pack formal things for them. You don't need to be in dress clothes if you want a family photo onboard.

It all depends on your wants and needs. We just go to the main diningroom on the nights where it appropriate to wear summer dresses, polo shirts and khakis.

My main suggestion is to bring half as many clothes and twice as much money!:)

P.S: There is laundry onboard and if you sign up at the beginning of the cruise they offer good packages. Your clothes come back folded or on hangers but I must say- spot treat stains. They don't do this and we did have some stains on the clothes.

For the children, get gallon sized ziplocks and label the bags Day 1 (childs name) WDW, Day 2 WDW etc....and place a complete outfit in each bag. Shorts, tops, pants or sweater if needed, socks, undies, hair ribbons, barrettes, shoes if wearing different with certain outfits. Pack all in 1 suitcase and label it as WDW stuff for the children. That way you won't have to bother unpacking all suitcases at WDW.

Then do the same for the cruise with labeled zip locks of outfits for each child. Again place all cruise stuff in 1 suitcases and label it.

When I pack I put all of my undies/bras/night clothes in zip locks. That way if my bag is searched, no one is touching my panties.

I also pack 1 carryon bag with 2 pairs of undies and 1 complete outfit & nightclothes for each of us. You never know when luggage will be lost.

If you can pack your formal clothing in a hanging garment bag it will give you more room in your suitcases.

Good luck and have a wonderful time. We love WDW and visit every year.

questions - don't you end up packing way more with the ziplocs? I was thinking that the kids would wear the same shorts more than once so then they bag for the day wouldn't be complete. I love this idea but can't quite wrap my head around how it would work.:)

Honestly- I don't take any shorts for my son. I pack three swimsuits and we rinse them out in the shower each night. He wears them like shorts and he always looks nice because he wears matching polo shirts with them. Very caribbean and this way you don't even need to bring lots of underwear because they are built into the swimtrunks- which dry overnight on a hook in the bathroom. I bring two pair of khakis and a total of five shirts- pajamas, crocks and tennis shoes. And a sweatshirt. That's it.

For me I bring 3 sundresses with pockets for my room card, two pair of long workout pants, two t shirts, two dresses, two skirts, matching tops and two sweaters. One pair of flip flops, one pair dress shoes and tennis shoes, two swimsuits, pajamas, underwear and a robe (for when I get out of the hot tub at night).

Midcruise I send out half our stuff to be cleaned.

We have room to spare in the two suitcases.

questions - don't you end up packing way more with the ziplocs? I was thinking that the kids would wear the same shorts more than once so then they bag for the day wouldn't be complete. I love this idea but can't quite wrap my head around how it would work.:)

Put shorts with 2 tops and 2 pair socks etc...in a bag and then mark it as 2 outfits and label as Day 1 & Day 2. I do this with my son when we travel and it is so much easier. I can also just grab a zip lock and toss it in a tote when we leave in the morning and not worry if he spills something on himself during the day. Good luck....don't stress too much and have fun!!

PS...WDW has onsite self serve laundry facilities at the many of the resort hotels. You could take 2 or 3 hours the day before your leave and wash and then repack.

I read a great tip on these Boards that I will be using for my upcoming trip. I used to pack all the kids stuff in one suitcase and all hubby's and mine in another. The tip I read was to put a little of everyone's clothing in each suitcase, that way if the luggage were to be separated or a piece or two lost you will still have clothes for everyone.:)

Thanks for all the tips everyone... I am just about ready to go...

Ended up packing 1 bag with all of our formal clothes and the 'nicer' stuff for cruise. Then used the mix up the clothes a bit so everyone will have something if 1 bag gets lost theory to fill up the rest.

Then, decided to take a "hockey bag " for all the snorkel gear, lifejackets etc. Thought this way if it's wet when it gets packed I don't have to squish it up with everything else.

Archived