does r.c. enchantment offer onboard scuba certification?

my fiance and I are thinking about getting certified in scuba. I noticed on another site that some lines do offer this on board the ship. Does anyone know if the enchantment of the sea's offers this course?

Stacey

1985 M/V Atlantic

1992 R.C. Nordic Empress

1996 Carnival Fantasy

Days remaining till Enchantment of the Sea!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;13;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

not sure about enchantment but on our voyager cruise they offered a "resort" certification. which means you have to dive with a certified diver master.

Diane

Legend of the Sea 9/12/04

Voyager of the Sea 8/24/03

Sovereign of the Sea 07/01

Hello, Stacey;

Here's some GOOD free advice;

Don't try to get certified in the middle of a cruise. According to your CD-clock, you still have 140 days, and that would be plenty of time. Sign up with a scuba shop in your town and do it right. You'll be glad you did.

First of all, you won't get a "REAL" certification on a 7 day cruise. You have to have a certain number of hours in class and in water (can't remember how many, but it's a six-week class when done right.), pass a written test, AND you have to have 3 dives with dive-masters to get your certification. That takes a lot more time than what is available during a cruise.

Secondly, you will enjoy your cruise alot more without hours of lessons each day messing up your schedule.

When you get certified, buy your own mask, and regulators and take them along if you can. Any excursion offered by RCL will usually include equipment so you don't have to lug everything, but you don't know who has been chewing on that regulator just before you, and a rented/borrowed mask never fits right.

Hope this helps. Will this be your honeymoon? Congratulations and EEENNNJJJOOOYYY!!!

Darrell & Donna

Pacific Princess '84 L.A. Olympics

Majesty of the Seas 11/'98

Monarch of the Seas 5/2000

Grand Princess 7/2001

Maasdam 11/2001

Sovereign of the Seas 5/2002

Enchantment of the Seas 11/2002

Rhapsody of the Seas 6/2003

boat001.gif

I couldn't agree more. Do the certification course before you leave and schedule your certification dives while you're on the ship. You don't want to spend so much time on your vacation in a classroom and in the pool. t's also a good idea to start a relationship with a local scuba shop if you plan to stay in the sport.

I disagree somewhat with buying your regulator now, though. You aren't going to know if this sport is for you until you've actually done a few dives. A good regulator is expensive and if you decide that scuba is not for you you will have this expensive piece of equipment gathering dust. If you go with a reputable company for your certification dives, the regs will be well maintained and clean. You will also have a better idea of what you want in a regulator after you've done a few dives. There are many models on the market, from "Yugos" to "Cadillacs". I would buy your snorkel gear before-hand, though (you'll have to for your course at home anyway.)

Good luck.

Thank you for the great feedback!!!

I am going to call a few local dive shops today and find out what we need to do to get started, pricing, etc.

I will keep you posted.

Stacey

1985 M/V Atlantic

1992 R.C. Nordic Empress

1996 Carnival Fantasy

Days remaining till Enchantment of the Sea!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;13;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived