What happens if you don't tip?

ssatterly

First of all, I would hope NO ONE would stiff the wonderful staff on their tips!! Tips are just a common courtesy of thanking them for us not having to clean or cook. I've never heard of a "list" of non-tippers, but I think that would be a great idea. If the non-tippers thought they would be put on a "list", then maybe they would think twice about stiffing the wonderful staff members. I realize you said that you would tip, and I hope everyone would tip like you and I.

No list but anyone that does not tip should be tossed overboard prior to the ship getting back into port. :mad: I cannot imagine why anyone would want to stiff the crew after all of the hard work that they have done to provide wonderful service to you for the week. Of course for the ones that do stiff, I believe in the old saying..............."What goes around comes around".

Agree with you guys... Those that don't tip should be black listed...but they are not and unfortunatley it just means the crew doesn't get their money.

I think though that is why some cruise lines (Carnival and NCL for example) have gone to the gratuites being automatically added to your room account and you can not take them off. You can add more, but you can't remove them.

1st off i am and wll tip... But what if someone don't tip? Do they get out on a list or something so thay can't cruise again or is nothing done and the severs are out of luck? I am just wondering.

Your name is given to the cruise line, and you must eat "RANCH STEAK" for dinner every night.

I think though that is why some cruise lines (Carnival and NCL for example) have gone to the gratuites being automatically added to your room account and you can not take them off. You can add more, but you can't remove them.

On Carnival you have the option to adjust the tips up, down or remove them completely.

Seems that doesn't help much to prevent stiffing then.

I am in favor of requiring gratuities. If that means some don't cruise on that particular line, who cares about them. My guess is the cruise line,the staff and the guests will be better off with those who respect the hard work of others.

I can imagine all kinds of pro/con discussion, which may be of interest on this topic, so I am glad the OP brought it up.

"I am in favor of requiring gratuities."

Homey don't think so, "Finely Cruising".

The great service, smiling faces, and royal treatment doesn't come from the staffs inborn love of people they've never seen before, and will probably never see again. They are there to make a living. They are MOTIVATED to give us excellent treatment, in the hope of getting rewarded for it. (As well they should.)

If they think that they will get tipped, no matter what, for good, bad or indifferent service, what's their motivation?

I tip WELL better than average. But if a crew member just shows up with a "I'm here, so you owe me" attiutude, he or she gets STIFFED.

Required gratuities....NOPE

These folks on the ship for the most part work there Butt's off 12 to 14 hours a day, for extremely low to almost non exsistent wages, IMO there services for the most part are above and beyond and they do deserve to receive a gratuity for there efforts. Heck i have been to 4/5 star land based resorts where the help doesn't even come close to the service and attention I have received on cruise ships. So I have no problem in extending them a well earned TIP!! What happens if you dont tip??? nothing I guess as long as your conscience can live with it!!

I'm not in favor of REQUIRING tips. Why? Because there's always that one person who just doesn't deserve a tip, and I don't want to ever be forced to tip him or her!

Example: I just had my hair done today, and it's horrible. The new colorist obviously didn't listen to a thing I said. My dark brown with a hint of red hair is now a really uneven shade of bad blonde. And she managed not to cover my grey. She could see I didn't like it, and she bent over backwards asking what she could do: let her do it over, let someone else do it over, come back in tomorrow . . . thanks, but no thanks -- I just wanted to get out of there before I cried. I normally give a good tip -- not today.

Because things like this do happen, I don't like the idea of forced tipping. I'll tip generously where it's deserved (and it usually is deserved on a cruise), but I want to be in charge of how much and to whom I give tips.

I just returned from a cruise that had VERY bad weather the last night of the cruise. Our friends who had early dinner told us very people were there and I understand the later dinner had even fewer diners. I was sick enough that I required a visit from the doctor--so we did not go to dinner. The rough weather did not end until we hit San Juan--2 hours later than scheduled due to high seas. It took an effort for us to find our cabin steward and husband went to guest relations (long line) to submit tips to dining staff. I wondered how many people neglected to tip--as many were very seasick for over 14 hours (including the captain!).

Linda

OKay, question here, do you reduce your tip if it is truely poor service? Not just a bad night or something but really bad service?

Honestly, I've never had service so bad that I've had to reduce the tip. Some of our staff has been very basic while others have done much more than we expected. If service is so bad that it can't be resolved by the hotel manager or the service personnel themselves, then yes, you can reduce the tips.

If the service I receive is below standard, I will leave a reduced tip plus 2 pennies. Just to give them my "2 cents" worth! I've been tempted to leave just 2 pennies a couple of times, but never went thru with it. All folks have their bad days, but if your help is down right rude, the tip should be reduced!

Jacquelyn :D

As an earlier post stated, you receive the excellent service because the help has to depend on your generosity to make a living. That is why the service on most cruise ships exceeds that of many four and five star resorts. Here in Las Vegas where the workers are paid very well they do not have the same incentive to bust their butts for you.

I have always tipped well as my wife works in the hospitality industry and we are all too aware of the cheap skates that are out there.

We have cruised over fifteen times and I am appalled on every cruise I’ve taken, at the number of guests who don’t show up in the dining room the last night of the voyage, to avoid having to tip out the staff. It’s disgusting.

I absolutely disagree with a policy of forced tipping, or with the practice of tipping and the start of the cruise. In my opinion good service should always be rewarded at the conclusion of the sailing.

We sailed last month on the Voyager with a large group of Tawainese on board. By large group I mean half of the ship was from Tawain. There were extra measures taken in all aspects from the dining rooms cookinig more of what they requested, photographers taking lots of time with them and many other areas. They were so rude to everyone else on board and from what our room steward told us the morning we departed was that he didn't receive tips from more than half of his cabins that they stayed in. By the time we got off the ship everyone that wasn't in their group was ready to do physical harm to some of them...including my husband who had been pushed out of the way for the last time on the elevators. I don't think it's fair for people to get away with not tipping when they are just being cheap. If there is a service issue then it should be addressed so that the person knows why you weren't satisfied. I think if you have a problem and never voice it to anyone and just get "even" by not tipping you are taking the cowards way out. For the most part I think everyone agrees that tips are hard earned and well deserved. I do not think they should be required or payed up front. I just really hope that the cruise line overcompensated the employees on our cruise for the people from Tawain being horrible to the other passengers and to them as well. JMO!

Carrie

Archived