Help! Tell me about Statendam

Gabrielle R.

Hello HAL cruisers! I could use some help. My Aunt and Uncle are going to be on the Statendam in March- they are doing the Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego trip. They get to go through the Panama Canal. I jsut did the full Canal trip on Princess over Christmas. I know it will be awesome for them.

My Aunt and Uncle are first time crusiers they are 78 & 80 and are a bit nervous about going on their FIRST cruise. I've sailed on Rotterdam 5 years ago, but not on Statendam.... So what can you tell me about Statendam. Anything that you would recommend?

They are a bit worried about embarkation in Ft. Lauderdale- I thought there should be too many problems- Does HAL have you check in by decks? Any suggestions there?

Any thing else that you can think of that I should knkow would be great!! Thanks in advance!! I know my aunt and uncle would thank you! Gabrielle

The Statendam is pretty much like the Rotterdam, but just a bit smaller. It has no center elevator/staircase bank, but you can count on nearly everything that you experienced on the Rotterdam being like what they'll see on the Statendam.

The ships do not board by deck. They simply show up at the check-in desk with their Signature Preferred Boarding Pass (that you or they have registered for OnLine) and their passports, have their picture taken, get their info packets with room key cards, go through the hand baggage scanning process, and sit where they are told to wait for boarding to start ... if it hasn't already.

Tell them not to worry about anything - there will be plenty of people to help them at every turn!

I'm sure they'll have a great time!

The Statendam is a classy ship and I am certain your relatives will enjoy her. She is in good shape and has some of the best staff and crew on the high seas.

The only folks who get priority boarding are those in suites and I understand those in wheelchairs. Don't worry, the whole thing goes very smoothly and quickly once boarding starts.

That is a great site! Thank you!!! I will send them the site!

Also, Does anyone remember what time they will start to let passengers board? I was going to tell my aunt and uncle to wait until after 12 before trying to go through line.... Good idea? Bad? They are staying at a hotel the night before in Ft. Lauderdale.... They will have to take a taxi to the pier- no shuttle from thier hotel.

Any other advice recommendations for my Aunt and Uncle? It's been awhile since we were on the Rotterdam, so my memory- though it is good, does get fuzzy!

Gabrielle

THe boarding time ususally starts about 11:30. Get them to ask the TA to confirm that with HAL. If they are at one of the Hotels near the airport they are only a couple of minutes cab away. I am positive that they will have the time of their lives. Statendam is our favourite ship.

I was going to tell my aunt and uncle to wait until after 12 before trying to go through line.... Good idea? Bad?
I think 12:00 to 12:30 is a good time ... unless a bus happens to pull in just before them! If they get there before 11:30 they'll probably find the waiting areas full, and the one time that we showed up at 12:15 we walked right through, with no lines.

Archived