Runaway or Dickinsons?

teresapink

Just got back from Dickenson's I heard that it is usually pretty crowded; however, there were only a couple of ships in port the day we were there so it wasn't too bad. Jet ski's ranged from $40-$50 per 1/2 hr. depending on which vendor you talked to.

Pros: beautiful beach, great restaurant "The Beach" with good drinks and food, stuff to do (jet ski rentals, kayaks, etc.) **note, when we asked a taxi driver about parasailing at Dickenson's we were told that they don't allow it anymore...another taxi driver told us they did so we went...when we got there we were told that they don't allow it anymore.**

Cons: There are people constantly coming up to you asking you to buy stuff..when you said "no" they weren't pushy but we were still asked at least 20 times.

Just got back from Dickenson's I heard that it is usually pretty crowded; however, there were only a couple of ships in port the day we were there so it wasn't too bad. Jet ski's ranged from $40-$50 per 1/2 hr. depending on which vendor you talked to.

Pros: beautiful beach, great restaurant "The Beach" with good drinks and food, stuff to do (jet ski rentals, kayaks, etc.) **note, when we asked a taxi driver about parasailing at Dickenson's we were told that they don't allow it anymore...another taxi driver told us they did so we went...when we got there we were told that they don't allow it anymore.**

Cons: There are people constantly coming up to you asking you to buy stuff..when you said "no" they weren't pushy but we were still asked at least 20 times.

Thank you so much for the excellent information...as soon as I hear about Runaway, I'll be able to make a final decision....How were the taxis back to the ship? Easy to get?

Thanks-

T

Yeah we didn't have a problem...when we asked our taxi he said if we gave him a time he would be back to get us but we didn't know when we would be done. When we were done we just walked towards the entrance and there were taxi drivers waiting there.

We are looking for a beach that is scenic and clean, with jet skis, chairs, umbrellas and food/beverages...not uncomfortably crowded...would either of these fit the description?

Thanks-

T:)

Teresa,

I'm waiting to hear on this also. I'll keep checking back on this. I'm a beach bum.

D :)

How much was the cab ride?

Taxi to Runaway Beach for 2 people was $12 each way. May have been the same for 4.

Taxi to Valley Church Beach, Turner's Beach or Jolly Beach was $32 each way for 2 - may have been the same for 4.

Hi there

Taxi fares are government set - however you can haggle with the taxi drivers.

Taxis fares are per taxi not per person.

Also you tell them the time and they will come back and you pay them on the return

Regards

Suzanne

Dickenson's was nice with some caveats. The "public" (non-Sandals resort) part was fairly crowded. Your chair will be within a few feet of the next one. It was pretty crowded the day we were there, though not horrendously so (like Cockleshell on St. Kitts the following day). The sand is nice, and you can walk for a fair distance on the beach in front of Sandals. The waves were not too serious, so playing in them with kids that aren't too young is fun. The beach is not terribly wide (i. e., distance perpendicular to shoreline). Hawkers will bug you fairly often, even while waiting for your food at the bar (I think the bar staff told the guy off after he did this to me). Only food option we saw was the open bar/cafe (Big Banana). A bit pricey (US$11 or so for a good sized chicken wrap, US$3 for a lemonade or soda) but good. I think the asking price for an umbrella and two beach chairs (not padded) was US$19. Don't remember if they had jet skis there, but I'd guess they did have those annoying things.

Of the three beaches we went to on our cruise, I'd rate this in the middle, but worth going to.

I was dissapointed with Runaway Beach. Just got back from the 12 day Explorere and this is the only port that I had a complaint about. Went on a beach break to Runaway. Other ports have nice padded lounge chairs and these chairs were horrible. Also, they charged $6 for an umbrella - AND HAD NONE! When I asked someone about this, they didn't seem to care and told me that there were some palm trees that could give some shade. We finally huddled under a wooded lean-to type of thing... dissapointed compared to the other beaches we visited.

I was dissapointed with Runaway Beach. Just got back from the 12 day Explorere and this is the only port that I had a complaint about. Went on a beach break to Runaway. Other ports have nice padded lounge chairs and these chairs were horrible. Also, they charged $6 for an umbrella - AND HAD NONE! When I asked someone about this, they didn't seem to care and told me that there were some palm trees that could give some shade. We finally huddled under a wooded lean-to type of thing... dissapointed compared to the other beaches we visited.

What other beaches would you recommend?

Archived