TUBING and Non Swimmer

UBinfwa

I would appreciate your opinion on letting a NON SWIMMER go TUBING on our stop in Ocho Rios after doing the walk up the Falls ?

How deep is the water ? Any vests ?

Thanks.

UB

I have the same question. Please answer.

Thanks.

Shouldn't be a problem..water was faster after the rains the night before we went but still pretty tame. You won't be getting out in the river and they supply vests if you want them. I'm sure there may be some deep spots but they say its generally pretty shallow. One guide is on his own tube with your group of perhaps 4 or 5 kinda holding you together (each of you hold each others tube by ropes). You're sitting in an inner tube with a cloth floor. Was comfortable and alot of it in shade. I would do it again no matter what the weather. No one in any groups that we were with came close to falling out and it was a faster water than usual. It was also dirty brown, if it hadn't rained it would have been clear and multicoloured as per the norm.

Hope that helps a little.

Divemedic

I would appreciate your opinion on letting a NON SWIMMER go TUBING on our stop in Ocho Rios after doing the walk up the Falls ?

Thanks.

UB

Our family did the Dunns River Falls/Tubing excursion on the White River in July 2007 with Island Marketing.

Don’t worry if you are not a swimmer, as the water is fairly shallow and the rapids are not that rough that you would need to worry about falling out of your tube. No life jackets were required on this particular excursion. There is a guide that floats along with you and pushes you out of shallow areas if you get stuck. The tubes you float along in are quite large and there is a fiberglass bottom tied in, so you don’t scrape your bottom. At one point along the way, you are given the opportunity to jump off a 15 ft embankment into the river. The water is about 12 ft. deep in this spot. If you can’t swim then don’t do the jump or ask for a life jacket.

We had a blast on this excursion--even my 8-year old loved it!

I have attached a link from our Ocho Rios excursions. There are River Tubing photos in it.

I just got back, did the Dunns Falls, then white river tubing. The river was flowing pretty fast, although shallow in some areas, there was a guide that went along. I used Peat Taylor tours, and Peat Taylor Jr was along as the host.

There were only 4 of us but we had a great time, the other couple went to the gardens instead of tubing. The Tubing didn't last very long, but we enjoyed it. Peat also took us around and showed us some of the area, we were comfortable to leave our bags in the van while doing the excursions. Very friendly and we had a very good driver (forgot his name). Afterwards we stopped at Margaritaville for a drink and it was very lively.

:D

• 1 month later...

Thanks.

UB

We just return and we did tubing. My friend is 60, I'm 50 and our husbands.

It's was sunny day and not windy.We wasn't offer a vests but my friend ask for one because she is not strong person. In a few minutes in the river both of us were out of the tubes in a water!!! We have 2 guides for a 6 people and they wasn't close to me. It's not deep but it's rocky and current is strong so I could't get up, scrach my knees pretty bad and swallow some water. My friend was panic, swallow water too and hit her toes on both legs. They help her first and then me. After stop 2 part was really nice and slow. It's a nice tour but DON"T GO IF you a not a swimmer, if you not in a good health, and ASK for a vest. My friend have to go to ship Dr and paid for a visit because our tour was from private company. Be carefull and have fun!

• 1 month later...

Do they have an age restriction on this? I noticed an age restriction on the excursion through Carnival, but wondered if you could do this on your own and any age was welcome. Also, how would you get there on your own?

Thank you

Do they have an age restriction on this? I noticed an age restriction on the excursion through Carnival, but wondered if you could do this on your own and any age was welcome. Also, how would you get there on your own?

Thank you

We booked it on our own throught Yardie tours and there wasn't an age restriction. I don't know how you would do it on your own. Do you mean bring your own tubes with you? The van dropped us off and then had to drive down to the end to pick us up. It was a lot of fun but only about 1 hour total and at the end you have to get out of the tube because the current will not allow you to float around in one spot. I almost wanted to pay to do it again but then we would have had to get back in the van drove all the way around to the top again.

We booked it on our own throught Yardie tours and there wasn't an age restriction. I don't know how you would do it on your own. Do you mean bring your own tubes with you? The van dropped us off and then had to drive down to the end to pick us up. It was a lot of fun but only about 1 hour total and at the end you have to get out of the tube because the current will not allow you to float around in one spot. I almost wanted to pay to do it again but then we would have had to get back in the van drove all the way around to the top again.

I think they meant booking on their own and not through Carnival. There are many operators, as you know, who will take you there.

Thanks.

UB

Take a non-swimmer on a water excursion down a river? On an inner tube? In an inner tube which could -- in seconds -- sway far from the group? No way. Not even if most of the river is shallow. Not even with a life jacket. It would only take a moment in the wrong place for something tragic to happen. I don't see how the individual involved could be comfortable.

This would be far outside my comfort zone. Honestly, if you have to ask . . .

Archived