Packing List

doublegator

OK, here's the REALLY LONG LIST we have put together based on advice from many people on this board. Can you guys help edit it down to things we REALLY will use?

Two things I want to add:

1. Every vacation I go on, I forget to take postage stamps. And nobody seemed to have those on their "must-have" list. Makes it a lot easier to send a lot of postcards, if you are so inclined! Surely I'm not only one who still sends "snail mail" on vacation.

2. I have a friend who is a health and safety director for a cruise line, and her biggest advice for traveling: It doesn't matter what you bring if you get sick. So... WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS, every chance you get..... and use the hand sanitizer at every opportunity

Now here's our long list:

· Keep all this information in one bag:

- airline tickets or e-ticket confirmation

- passport / ID

- drivers license

- medical insurance card and auto insurance card

- cash or traveler's checks (be sure to keep traveler's checks receipt in separate location)

- contact numbers to report lost/stolen credit cards or traveler's checks

- emergency numbers at home

- home and email addresses of friends/relatives back home - for sending postcards, emails, or gifts

· Make 3 copies of airline tickets, cruise tickets, passports/visas, itinerary - pack 1 copy in carry on, 1 copy in checked luggage, and leave one copy with someone at home

prescription drugs and any other essential medications in carry on bag

zip-loc bags

hangers

sewing kit, safety pins, and scissors in checked luggage

camera and manual

extra memory

batteries and chargers

underwater camera, batteries and memory

cell phone and charger

wallet and fanny pack

water wallet

watch

sunglasses

guidebooks and other port of call information

maps

books

stamps

chewing gum

highlighter

reading material - books to read while on the plane or lounging by the pool

journal or notebook and pen/pencil - for making notes to tell your friends back home about your experiences

laptop computer

extension cord with multiple plug-ins

plastic ties

post-its

small travel alarm clock - battery operated

lighted dial clock for cruise ship cabin

small flashlight

night light

Swiss Army knife or something similar with screwdriver head, etc. (be sure to put in checked luggage)

small umbrella

small first aid kit (band aids, Q-tips, vaseline, antibiotic cream, bandages, anti-diarrheal medication, cortisone cream, aspirin/tylenol/advil)

ginger candies

Bonine

bug spray

sun screen/sun block

ChapStick

hand sanitizer

disinfectant wipes

hand lotion

clothes pins

laundry bag

hanging clear pocket bag for over bathroom door

empty folding tote bag - for souvenirs or the beach

Thanks for the replies!

I take almost everything on the second list posted. I don't bring a fanny pack, extension cord (your need may depend on your room/ship... I've always had plenty of outlets to accomplish everything I need to), bug spray (this need will depend on where you're going), or a swiss army knife. I've made use of everything else on the list at some point in time! Unless you really need it, I think a laptop can be burdensome (although I realize some people use it to backup their pictures). If I need to jump online really quick, I just use the computers on the ship.

Since it seems you actually try to send postcards while you're gone, you could also add something to the list - I buy some labels and pre-address them before I go. That way, I don't have to bring my address book and can just slap a label on the postcard and be done with it.

Archived