Vegetarian Reccomendations

ocdb8r

We're a group of 4 sailing on the Jewel this weekend and one in our party is a vegetarian. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experiences they can share. I know there always seems to be an option or two in the MDR, but what about the specialty restaurants? I assume Asian and Italian would both be fine bets but not sure about the others. What about room service? I know they offer burgers now, wondering if you can get a veggie patty?

Personally I would really like to make it to Le Bistro and possibly Cagney's, but really don't want to ditch our friend and make her dine alone :-P

C.

We're a group of 4 sailing on the Jewel this weekend and one in our party is a vegetarian. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experiences they can share. I know there always seems to be an option or two in the MDR, but what about the specialty restaurants? I assume Asian and Italian would both be fine bets but not sure about the others.

Personally I would really like to make it to Le Bistro and possibly Cagney's, but really don't want to ditch our friend and make her dine alone :-P

C.

My husband is a vegetarian (no meat or seafood) and he is always happy on our cruises. His favorite is the Indian section of the buffet, but he's always been very happy with the vegetarian selection in the main dining rooms. The Italaian restaurant is another goodie for a veggie. Le Bistro dropped their veg selection which is a disappointment to us both. :( The Asian restaurant also has several veg selections. The Tex-Mex really has not much of anything and I donn't remember Cagney's being very good for a vegetarian either.

Your friend will find plenty onboard to keep him happy, though. DH always does.

I am a strict vegetarian and my husband is a strict carnivore who hates vegetables and we have terrible trouble on land finding somewhere we can both eat. Having said that, we had a great time on the Jewel and were both in our element. Its fair to say that we didn't try Cagneys or Le Bistro, but we did find a good selection everywhere else. Even in Blue Lagoon he could indulge his passion for burgers while I had the 'to die for' artichoke dip.

I agree with the above post, the Indian buffet at the garden grill is fantastic. My favourite curry is mutter paneer (cheese and pea) and when I told the chef it was on the menu the following night - great service!

NCL suggested that we speak to the Maitre d' when we got on board and warning them in advance that you may have a problem certainly helps, however we didn't have any problems and really felt well catered for.

Worst case scenario there are generally more veggie starters than mains, so on a couple of occasions I had a couple of starters instead of a main course - but that was more because I didn't fancy the vegetarian choice and the starters were fab! Its all about thinking laterally and finding a solution at the end of the day, there's so much choice I'm sure you'll be fine.

I am a vegetarian (who is also very picky) who is sailing on the Jewel on 3/20. In the past on NCL I did find a few Indian dishes that I ate some of, however, Indian food is not my favorite. Generally at lunch I opted for salad and/or pizza, and maybe some fruit. At dinner I will usually get some steamed vegetables and a baked potato. I am not into the vegetarian type dishes.......but I am a longtime vegetarian of 36 years. I eat no beef, poultry, seafood, or eggs......so it is alittle hard to take advantage of all the food......lol. Thats okay, hubby more than makes up for what I do not eat. Just a heads up on some items that are served. In the past I have asked if certain items......like rice are cooked with water or broth....I was given conflicting info. So you may want to double check.

I am a vegetarian (who is also very picky) who is sailing on the Jewel on 3/20. In the past on NCL I did find a few Indian dishes that I ate some of, however, Indian food is not my favorite. Generally at lunch I opted for salad and/or pizza, and maybe some fruit. At dinner I will usually get some steamed vegetables and a baked potato. I am not into the vegetarian type dishes.......but I am a longtime vegetarian of 36 years. I eat no beef, poultry, seafood, or eggs......so it is alittle hard to take advantage of all the food......lol. Thats okay, hubby more than makes up for what I do not eat. Just a heads up on some items that are served. In the past I have asked if certain items......like rice are cooked with water or broth....I was given conflicting info. So you may want to double check.

Yes, that's a good point, based on how strict a vegetarian you are. The cream of mushroom soup in Le Bistro has a beef broth base. I do not eat beef, don't like it, saw FastFood Nation so double-ick, etc, but that mushroom soup is one of the very few times I'll eat it anyway. My DH (who is the real veg) "cheats" a little occasionally on vacation and he has had it too. I believe the wonton noodles in Blue Lagoon are also cooked in beef broth (too bad, I have heard that is a great snack).

I guess it is good that I dont like the two items that you mentioned...lol. I tend to stick to more straight forward items so that it is easier to see what they are composed of. Steamed carrots and a baked potato.....or a plate of fruit slices. Usually they are safe. I never cheat due to the fact of why I am a vegetarian. I do not believe in killing animals for food......so I do not eat it. It sometimes is hard when it comes to breads or ice cream....as they may or may not be made with eggs.

Archived