Snorkel in Key West?

heydn62

We'll be diving in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but trying to figure out if we want to schedule anything for Key West. We have some non-divers in the group and I was wondering about Snorkeling in Key West. Is there somewhere near the port where there is worthwhile snorkling either on our own or with a tour?

We'll be diving in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but trying to figure out if we want to schedule anything for Key West. We have some non-divers in the group and I was wondering about Snorkeling in Key West. Is there somewhere near the port where there is worthwhile snorkling either on our own or with a tour?

Snorkeling in KW is in open water on reefs about 5 miles from shore. You need to take a boat excurision and not be bothered by 15-20ft. depths. Also visability can vary depending on whether winds are up or not. If the winds blow it stirs up the sand and vis can drop to a foot or less. Unfortunatly snorkeling is better up the keys.

Randall

I booked a smorkel trip thru the ship at Key West. Fury was the host for the three hour trip. Surprise, surprise, the cat wasn't near full. I don't recall the exact number, but there were no more than 15 or 20 on board.

It was an excellent trip. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Viz was low the day we went, but it is usually much better,

Here's what I wrote post cruise:

Key West: A catamaran trip to Sand Key Reef with the Fury Cat operation. Fury is found extensively through the Yucatan and Caribbean. Our trip was on a 65’ catamaran with a small enough group so we were never crowded. Unfortunately, westerly winds from the recent tropical disturbance in The Gulf had stirred things up so that visibility was only about 15 – 20 feet. The reef, however, is marvelous. Did you know that the reef off Florida’s coast is the third largest in the world? I didn’t. We got enough of a taste to make me want to return. I can unreservedly recommend this trip.

Snorkeling in KW is in open water on reefs about 5 miles from shore. You need to take a boat excurision and not be bothered by 15-20ft. depths. Also visability can vary depending on whether winds are up or not. If the winds blow it stirs up the sand and vis can drop to a foot or less. Unfortunatly snorkeling is better up the keys.

Randall

If you want to snorkel in KW I recommend http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/floridays.html. They have the capacity for over 30 people but never take more than 16 and usually less than 8.

Randall

We did Dailey Discovery in 2001, which was a dolphin excursion in Key West. We loved it. This was a smaller boat. We saw eagle rays, nurse sharks, barracudas, other fish, and wild dolphins. The kids loved feeding the tarpon at the dock. We still talk about it. I think you would have to get a cab to get to her.

Archived