Buying beer on carribbean islands?

BoPippy

I would like to know if anyone has bought local beer,eg.on carribbean islands and was able to bring on the ship for your room use or whatever without it being taken away in your backpack with your beach towels ,etc when you return to the ship???:D

Hmmmm on our trip on Celebrity to the Caribbean Dec 2008 no one we talked to were able to bring beer on to consume while on the cruise. They got it back at disembarkation.

On the beer.... my husband and I like microbrew beer here in the NW We only found a couple "local" beer and they were bud light - ish. Nothing too full bodied or flavorful. I guess in the warm weather "grass cutting beer" is expected. I found nothing I wanted to bring back on the ship. Donna

When I was on a Caribbean cruise last March, several of the people on the ship-sponsored excursion I was on brought back bottles of rum.

We all put the bags, containing the bottles of rum, on the belt going through the x-ray machine, and no one had to give up the bottles until the end of the cruise. None of the staff said one word about the booze.

Just as long as you don't attempt to bring back some locally grown herbs.

The main thought is that it depends on the ship and the people at the entrance who would be checking. Be prepared to give it up if they say something.

As for the local beers, most of what's available in each country is not widely available outside the area, so it's kinda cool to try them.

On a Med cruise in 2007, my brother-in-law was carrying in some beer from Rhodes, Greece. He was stopped by security and asked to turn over the beer. He did so with an explanation - "this is special beer that you don't sell on board." His beer was returned to stateroom within the hour! We couldn't figure that out at all.

Archived