New Prospector of Seabourn - smoking & other questions

martinimadam

Question 1. I tried a quick search re smoking onboard. Couldn't find exactly what I wanted. I'm a smoker; but, like to think of myself as being very considerate. Are there many smokers on these small ships? How prevalent is smoking? It appears that smoking in public areas is fairly limited. Not knowing the layout, is there a bar/lounge where I can have a cocktail and smoke without bothering others? Will I be the only smoker on board?

Question 2. I'm a solo cruiser, and somewhat shy. The "open-seating" format has me a little concerned. I've only had one experience with open seating and was none to pleased, but that was on a mass-market line that was pretty cheap. Usually I choose set dining times and tables and have always been happy with those. Are there any/many tables that fill up with "strangers", or are reservations pretty much set and tables closed groups?

Welcome to the Seabourn Board, Martinimadam!

I'll attempt to answer; I'm sure others will join in....

1) Some, but not many, of the cruisers are smokers, so you won't be alone. As with most cruise lines, SB is limiting its smoking venues. The indoor lounges are now smoke-free; the Sky Bar atop the triplets is the best place to have a cocktail and a cigarette (and one of my favorites!). On the outer decks, one side is smoke-free. Smoking is allowed in your stateroom, as well.

2) As a solo, you will most likely receive invitations, almost daily, to join a table hosted by one of the staff or officers. These are usually 8-10 person tables and is a wonderful way to meet some of your fellow cruisers. Both couples & singles are routinely invited. You, of course, are under no obligation to accept, but it's requested to RSVP to the invitation, one way or the other. And declining one invitation doesn't prevent you from more invitations, unless you notify the Purser's office that you'd prefer not to be invited! You may also request a table for one, if you wish, when you arrive at the dining room.

Depending on your cruise itinerary, you'll likely have plenty of opportunities to meet fellow cruisers, both singles and couples, during your day, and you may wish to make dining plans with them, as well.

Best wishes, and hope this helps! But, be warned; sailing on Seabourn will definitely spoil you for any other line...it's what they do best!

Paul ;)

I am not a smoker, so I can't give you the best info on that....but Paul did a great job. Since these are small ships, a "thoughtful" smoker is nice (around those who don't smoke), so your consideration is appreciated.

I can chime in with regard to solo travel with Paul. I have been on Seabourn four times, three as a solo traveler. One of the reasons I keep coming back to Seabourn is how nicely they take care of the solo traveler. As Paul indicated, you'll get a (printed!) invitation to join a hosted table every night (well, I got one every night because they figured out I always said "yes" *lol*)...left on your door in the afternoon. It's a wonderful way to get to know your fellow travelers.

Larger ships seem to be more impersonal. I've found that since Seabourn carries only about 200 passengers per sailing, it's very easy....even for a shy person....to get to know people, and others have always been very friendly to me when I'm traveling by myself. You can be as alone, or in company, as you choose to be.

Seabourn has been one of the most elegant and magical experiences of my life, I hope you'll have the opportunity to experience them also.

Jane

Thanks for the quick replies!!!

Those invitations sound like just the ticket. Though shy, I'm not painfully so, and certainly wouldn't want to dine alone, or in my cabin. I love meeting new people, just not so great at making the first move!

Re the smoking...is the Sky Bar the only lounge/bar where one can smoke? Is it outside? Can't tell from the ships' diagrams. I'm thinking of a transatlantic, being outside is not always a great place to be during parts of those cruises, from my experiences.

Again, thanks. From reading the posts here, sounds like the Seabourn passengers are great.

Another question, if I may. For formal nights, are they really very formal? I've cruised on Crystal and HAL (and others I'd rather not mention). Where would SB fit in that equation? Again, doing a transatlantic.

The dining room is always the most formal venue for dinner. When you have a "black tie optional" evening (you probably should check with Seabourn to see if indeed your particular sailing will have any...they seem to be scaling back on formal nights), I saw many tuxes in the dining room and many gowns. I love formal nights and bring my favorite evening gowns, but you don't have to do formal if you don't wish to. There is always "2" for dinner (the Veranda restaurant at the stern of the ship turns into another place for dining in the evening). It's my observation Seabourn seems to be a more "dressy" line, that's why I like them, I'm a clothes horse!

That being said, you can pretty much wear what you like and you'll be fine. Were you concerned it would be too dressy for you?

Those invitations sound like just the ticket. Though shy, I'm not painfully so, and certainly wouldn't want to dine alone, or in my cabin. I love meeting new people, just not so great at making the first move!

You'll be just fine! And there's always the handsome waiters taking your arm to seat you in the Dining Room...they'll break any ice you may need! ;)

Re the smoking...is the Sky Bar the only lounge/bar where one can smoke? Is it outside? Can't tell from the ships' diagrams. I'm thinking of a transatlantic, being outside is not always a great place to be during parts of those cruises, from my experiences.

I haven't sailed on SB since April of last year (on the tranatlantic), but I believe that no other lounges allow smoking. And, yes, the Sky Bar is "open" to the elements, but well covered, and expanded somewhat in its renovations last year after my sailing. Don't worry though; even in inclement weather, there never was any lack of participation around the Sky Bar! :)

Again, thanks. From reading the posts here, sounds like the Seabourn passengers are great.

You're quite welcome! Yes, the majority of SB cruisers are just that...cruisers, and most well-traveled, too, in the best sense of the word.

Another question, if I may. For formal nights, are they really very formal? I've cruised on Crystal and HAL (and others I'd rather not mention). Where would SB fit in that equation? Again, doing a transatlantic.

As Jane mentioned, you can certainly dress up to the nines on SB, if you wish. The Veranda Restaurant, or "2", at the stern (sorry, Jane!* :D) will be more relaxed...smart casual on otherwise Formal nights.

(*Jane loves "her" hot tub at the bow on deck 5!)

If you enjoy special service, exceptional food, exemplary staff & crew, and wonderfully fun & interesting fellow cruisers, you'll certainly enjoy the Yachts of Seabourn. It's hard to find something "not" to like on a 200+ passenger ship!

Paul ;)

who hopes Jane forgives him! :eek: :D

Re the smoking...is the Sky Bar the only lounge/bar where one can smoke?

It is my understanding that, besides the Sky Bar, smoking is also allowed on the starboard side of the Observation Lounge on Deck 8 (this is an indoor venue).

I, too, am a smoker and a solo cruiser. I'll be on my first SB sailing next week.:) I also have one in November (a TA). Maybe you could consider that!

It is my understanding that, besides the Sky Bar, smoking is also allowed on the starboard side of the Observation Lounge on Deck 8 (this is an indoor venue).

This was certainly the case on Spirit during December. It is a lovely lounge for a quiet smoke.

Cheers,

Steve.

If you dont wish to accept an "invitation" for dinner, for whatever reason, when you arrive in the Dining Room, on the arm of a wonderful waiter....the maitre d' will ask you if you would like to dine alone or perhaps join another table.......they make up tables each night with guests who dont have other arrangements. You will never have to dine alone or in your cabin, if you dont wish too! (I do enjoy dinner in my pj's though, especially after a long shore excursion) :D

martinimaiden

You will find Seabourn very friendly and solo sailor's blend in with couples quite easily~~as I'm sure you've read on the board, "it's more like a family reunion." During the sail away party (Sky Bar area) you will meet fellow shipmates ~~will see and visit with these same sailors again in a few short hours at the Club, then during dinner.

Receiving dinner invitations each day is unique to Seabourn. After a few days aboard you will have made good sailing friends/buddies and it's fun to "host your own dinner table."

As to the TA Crossings I think we may have more solo travelers aboard than the Med, Carib, Baltic, etc. cruises. (don't know why)

You can smoke around the Sky Bar area and also as posted in an area up on Deck 8 Observation Lounge. (some have cocktails here before dinner)

Come join us ~~I've made lifelong friends aboard the Triplets ~and so will you! :p

Martita B.

Thanks again to all of you for your warm and informative responses. Now I just have to save up my pennies (HA!) and find a cruise that works into my schedule.

Anyone know if SB gives discounts for single supplements? 200% is pretty rich, would love to find something a little less dear. Any hints on how to go about it?

Yes you can get 125%, if you're lucky and book early, on the Spirit, Pride and Legend. The Odyssey will not have the luxury of such low single supplements and I'm sure the Sojourn will not, either. In fact, I've never paid more than 125% for any of my Seabourn cruises, as I tend to book at least a year in advance. If the 125% is gone, it can go up to 150% or 175%. There are only a few cabins available at the lower single supplement, so if you know what sailing you want, snap it up while you can. Your travel agent, or Seabourn, can always ferret out the best single supplement for you, if they are still available.

What you do is ask for a "guaranty, run of ship". You usually do not get assigned your cabin until about two weeks before your sailing date, and they can put you anywhere. But then all cabins are beautiful on Seabourn!

Jane

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Martinimadam - I just returned from my first sailing on SB. I am happy to report to you that, besides the Sky Bar, I was also able to smoke at the Midnight Lounge (deck 8-starboard side). It's pretty quiet here during the day, so I was able to sit in a corner (by the bar) and read my book. I also discovered a lovely little "nook" by the pool, complete with two lounge chairs and a side table, where I smoked - away from others. I'm sure the regulars know the area I'm referring to.;)

I received invitations to hosted tables every day, and did attend twice (once with Capt. Anderssen:)); however, for most evenings I ended up dining with other wonderful solos that I met while onboard.

All in all, it was an amazing experience - and I can't wait for the next one!

I hope you're able to make a booking - you won't be sorry.

Jane: thanks for the SBC - I used it up on 3 spa treatments - heavenly! I thought of you every time I took a dip in "your" deck 5 hot tub.:D

Hey there! I'm thrilled to hear you had a wonderful time, and I see that you booked another cruise. I changed my cruise plans as well, but unfortunately it seems we will miss each other? I will board the Spirit in Ft. Lauderdale 11/27, with my half of our SBC attached to this sailing.

So happy you enjoyed yourself!

Jane

Hey there! I'm thrilled to hear you had a wonderful time, and I see that you booked another cruise. I changed my cruise plans as well, but unfortunately it seems we will miss each other? I will board the Spirit in Ft. Lauderdale 11/27, with my half of our SBC attached to this sailing.

So happy you enjoyed yourself!

Jane

I disembark Spirit on 11/27 -- we can wave to each other -- I'll be the one being dragged off, clawing at the railing and sobbing.:D

Are you on for 5 days or 12, Jane?

Twelve. I told myself that I'm not flying all the way from California for only five days (although my bank account would not agree with my reasoning...). I'm so sorry to miss you. I will look for your fingernail marks on the highly polished railings, and I'm sure at the end of my cruise, mine will be right next to them.

Are you leaving right after you disembark? If you're not in a hurry I'd love to meet for lunch or something. Do you still have my email?

Jane

Are you leaving right after you disembark? If you're not in a hurry I'd love to meet for lunch or something. Do you still have my email?

Jane

I thought of this, too. And while it would have been an excellent plan, Jane, I have an 11:00AM flight out of FLL back to NY . . . :(

Hopefully, there will be another time. And yes, I still have your email.;)

Archived