Handicap rooms

cheermum42

Has anyone every stayed in a handicap room? I have someone that wants to travel with me but needs to use a wheel chair and is afraid that the rooms will not be big enough or she will not have enough room to get around. Any infor will be great thanks

Has anyone every stayed in a handicap room? I have someone that wants to travel with me but needs to use a wheel chair and is afraid that the rooms will not be big enough or she will not have enough room to get around. Any infor will be great thanks

You might want to come over to the disabilities board which you can find here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

to get more information, but yes, I have stayed in a cabin on the Jewel, designed for person in a wheelchair. I use a manual chair, and rented a power wheelchair for my cruise in October.

The doorways into accessible rooms are larger, and the room itself is larger. The bathroom is larger, with a shower and a drop-down shower seat, shower curtain (rather than a door) and grab bars. The toilet is raised, and is set up so that a person in a wheelchair has a straight access line to the toilet to transfer either from the shower side, or straight on. The sink is a pedestal sink, so someone in a wheelchair can roll right up to the sink to use it. The soap and shampoo dispensers are low enough that a person in a chair can use them. The mirror is a tilt-down mirror for easy access.

There is no couch in the room, but instead a table and two chairs that can be removed if you need even more room. There are ramps available to get out on the balcony (we were in a balcony room).

The clothes rack in the closet is a drop-down rack, and there are plenty of shelves and compartments that are wheel-chair level to stow your clothes.

I had both the manual chair and a power chair in the room, and there was sufficient room for both me and my husband to move around without difficulty. We did have the bed shoved up against the wall on one side. It was a queen bed. I don't think there would have been as much room if we'd had the bed as two twin beds, though.

I hope this helps!

I use a wheelchair and scooter and I was in a HC balcony cabin on the NCL Star, while it was not as big as some other HC cabins I have been in it was adequate size wise to move around and the bathroom was very good. also close to the elevators.

I also urge you to go to the disablility board for more information and please know that there are very few of these cabins and they go fast.

I have been in HC rooms on 3 NCL ships. The Dawn (balcony) , the Sun (ocean view) and the Sky(inside). Of the 3, the one on the Sun was the smallest but all were more then large enough for a wheel chair or mobility scooter. My dad uses a scooter and we had no problem bringing in through the door or finding space to plug it in at night.

Showers are also HC accessable, so tell your friend to go! :D But as others said, decide and book soon because the HC rooms are limited and sell quickly.

CG

We had one of those on NCL Star last year (deck 8 AFT) and it was larger than even the typical balcony cabin at 190+ SF vs. the typical 160 SF oceanview. Three of us sharing it with a top bunk, space for a rollaway and still plenty room to walk around. Bathroom is spacious, definitely room for the wheelchair to turn around, etc. Just 4 or 5 HC in that section and close to the elevator.

If you know which NCL ship, check out the deck plan & you should find specific cabin size on their website.

check out this link-it gives sq footage of the different types of cabins

http://www.choosingcruising.co.uk/cruiseweb/cabins.asp?client=choosing&nShip=412

That's a good site but the sq foot on a HC mini isn't correct. At least it's not on the Dawn. The website shows that a HC mini is the same size as a regular mini and it's actually much bigger, at least on the Dawn. Maybe they've changed it on the Gem.

CG

That's a good site but the sq foot on a HC mini isn't correct. At least it's not on the Dawn. The website shows that a HC mini is the same size as a regular mini

Yes, I noticed that too and thought it was odd. I would think that it would be bigger on the HC. I think that is probably a mistake

That's a good site but the sq foot on a HC mini isn't correct. At least it's not on the Dawn. The website shows that a HC mini is the same size as a regular mini

Yes, I noticed that too and thought it was odd. I would think that it would be bigger on the HC. I think that is probably a mistake

Don't scortch me if I am wrong, but I think that is true on the Pearl as well. I can't remember if it is the HC Balcony or HC mini but one of them is HUGE compared to the standard of its class.

Don't scortch me if I am wrong, but I think that is true on the Pearl as well. I can't remember if it is the HC Balcony or HC mini but one of them is HUGE compared to the standard of its class.

We probably shouldn't be discussing this on the boards as it will give people ideas, and you know what kind of problems/discussion that causes......so shhhhhhhh. I think I'll whisper. :D

Seriously, you are right...HC cabins are normally double the size of regular cabins. No matter what category they are in. As a basic rule of thumb, you can take the sq foot listed for any category cabin and double it to see how big a HC cabin in that category is. And I know that absolutely was a fact in a Dawn mini. My cousin was in one in September and it was the size of a suite. That's why I questioned the size listed for a HC mini on that site for the Gem.

LOL

CG

There is no couch in the room, but instead a table and two chairs that can be removed if you need even more room. There are ramps available to get out on the balcony (we were in a balcony room).

Does anyone know if the mini suites on the Pearl (specifically room 11650) has a couch, or is it just the table and two charis?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the mini suites on the Pearl (specifically room 11650) has a couch, or is it just the table and two charis?

Thanks!

Not sure about the Pearl, but on the Dawn HC mini's have the couch. In fact, it's a sleeper sofa. The HC mini's are so huge that there's plenty of room for a couch, unlike some of the smaller rooms where they get rid of the couch to make more room for wheelchairs, etc.

I just booked 11654 right next to 11650 for next January.

CG

Thanks!

Hi!

This mini suite has a sleeper couch - and we found it surprisingly comfortable - but then we like a firm mattress! Just hope that this information is meant for those who really need a handicapped stateroom!

Hope this helps.

This list is not complete but rather a sampling of ships and it points to why the disabled guest is so adamant about Able bodied people booking these cabins "because they are bigger"

Number or HC cabins per ship

Celebrity Summit:

Sky suites 6 balcony 11 OV 0 Inside 7 Total 24

Celebrity Solstice:

Aqua 4 CC 4 Balcony 4 OV 4 inside 6 Total 22

HAL Oosterdam:

Deluxe bal 6 Balcony 4 OV 0 inside 2 Total 12

Caribbean Princess:

Balcony 16 Obstructed OV 4 Inside 5 Total 17

Grand Princess:

Balcony 12 Inside 10 Total 22

Crown Princess:

Mini suite 4 Balcony 16 Ob, OV 4 Inside 5 Total 29

Sea Princess:

OV 4 Inside 12 Total 16

NCL Pride of America:

AE 1 AD 1 Balcony 4 Inside 11 Total 17

NCL Jade:

AE 2 AF 2 Balcony 4 OV 8 Inside 7 Total 27

NCL Pearl:

AF 2 AE 2 Balcony 8 OV 0 Inside 7 Total 19

NCL Sky Inside 4 Total 4

Now think about the total number of cabins on these ships.

I hope the handicapped mini-suite on the Pearl has a couch bed because that is where I am sleeping. My sister is handicapped and we will be on board soon. I will make friends with the other HC and ask about their cabins.

coka

Archived