Glacier Point Wilderness Safari or Railway and Alpine Hike

irene1127

IMO, the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari is far better. The glacier hike just isn't that impressive (the glacier itself isn't that impressive either), and you have to get off the train before it reaches the really good part of the line.

Bruce,

Thanks for the two links - both are great, and pretty much made up our minds!

Hi Irene,

You're welcome. I had come across those some time ago, and now just counting down the

time till we get to do that. I guess my only concern about the trip is that someone had written that mosquitoes were a real problem and we are going the same time as they did (third week in June). And others said they had no problem with mosquitoes. So we are taking some lemon eucalyptus and geraniol with us.

Bruce

Wow...great pictures! I just booked this for my husband and me for July. How long do you have to paddle? Just curious.

Hi,

Someone on CC said that he was in the canoe for 2 hours. Canoed some, but glacier so far away that the guides used motor for part of it also. I don't remember how long he actually paddled. Will go thru my "notes" to see if I can give you a better answer.

Bruce

Hi,

Here is a copy/paste from a CCer's GPWS excursion. Sorry no thread URL.

<<Glacier Point Safari out of Skagway - another awesome trip! First you take a high speed catamaran ride for about 40 minutes. Average speed is 45 - 50 mph! The ride is fast, thrilling, and very smooth all at once. You get great views and the tour guide is excellent. You then take a short bus ride to a staging location. Following that you hike 10 minutes to a river. You then canoe for about 10 minutes up to a lake (very, very easy). They then whip out the outboard motor and motor you over to a huge glacier. You get incredible views of the glacier and surrounding area. Overall, this was our most fun excursion. The catamaran ride by itself is worthy of a tour all it's own, so is the canoe ride, this tour offers both. It's a spendy tour but it was worth the money>>

Bruce

Archived