WWYD re: Miami car rental?

FlyGirl22

We (a group of 4) are flying in to FLL on Friday night next month, and then cruising out of Miami on Saturday morning. I have narrowed it down to two options for a rental car, and I'm wondering if any of you have done either of these. Which would YOU choose?

We can rent from Alamo, then return to their Miami airport location. They offer a free shuttle from the airport to the port, running every 30-45 minutes.

Or we can rent from Avis, and return to their downtown location. Since there are 4 of us, we would probably drive to the port, drop off two people with the luggage. While they wait there, the other two would drive to the Avis office, drop the car, then take a cab (less than $10) to the port.

The price for either company is just about the same, although we'd have the cab fare with Avis. Is it worth it to do that instead of being stuck waiting for the Alamo shuttle?

Thanks for your input!!!

We (a group of 4) are flying in to FLL on Friday night next month, and then cruising out of Miami on Saturday morning. I have narrowed it down to two options for a rental car, and I'm wondering if any of you have done either of these. Which would YOU choose?

We can rent from Alamo, then return to their Miami airport location. They offer a free shuttle from the airport to the port, running every 30-45 minutes.

Or we can rent from Avis, and return to their downtown location. Since there are 4 of us, we would probably drive to the port, drop off two people with the luggage. While they wait there, the other two would drive to the Avis office, drop the car, then take a cab (less than $10) to the port.

The price for either company is just about the same, although we'd have the cab fare with Avis. Is it worth it to do that instead of being stuck waiting for the Alamo shuttle?

Thanks for your input!!!

I would rent from Avis and drop off the car in downtown Miami. A lot closer to the port!!!

Are you sure they do not offer a shuttle to the port? It might be worth investigating this possibility.;)

I rented a car from Avis Downtown yesterday and they do not have a shuttle to the port. The rep told me it's about a 1.5 mile cab ride to their location.

By the way, I rented a 5 person SUV with GPS and drop off at FLL that night. Cost was $94.00 for the day.

Has anyone personally done either of these? :confused:

For the Avis downtown option...Is it hard to navigate around the port area to drop off passengers? Would it be hard to find them again if we have a cab drop us off after returning the car?

Or for the Alamo shuttle...Was it inconvenient to drop-off the car and then lug stuff to the shuttle? Did it seem to run at a pretty good pace?

Thanks all!!!

Flygirl, Answers to all your questions depend on day of week/time of day and how many ships in POM. Sat/Sun can be crazy, but usually not that difficult to navigate terminals and re-connect. Just tried to use Alamo shuttle Monday, Jan 26, and it is right where you return car, so luggage not a problem. But there was huge line for POM, while many buses were off to MIA. Quick calculation that loading all those people and luggage into the one waiting bus (and why it was waiting empty was unclear to everyone, inc Alamo) would be long process, and likely I wouldn't even get on that one. So I hopped one of many busses going to MIA and then took cab to POM (flat $24 rate + tip). From what I read, using Alamo shuttle is "hit or miss" unless to you have lots of time to wait.

Archived