St. John on Canada Day

Hi. We will be in St. John on Canada Day (July1st). Will the shops be closed for the holiday or not? I read a cruise review that confused me since the poster stated that "everything was closed" and then went on to say he shopped, had lunch in a restaurant, visited the Market, etc. Mom and daughters had hoped to spend the day poking about the shops. If most or many of the shops will indeed be closed I'd like to know in advance so we can sign on for an excursion before they're booked up. Many thanks!

Hi. We will be in St. John on Canada Day (July1st). Will the shops be closed for the holiday or not? I read a cruise review that confused me since the poster stated that "everything was closed" and then went on to say he shopped, had lunch in a restaurant, visited the Market, etc. Mom and daughters had hoped to spend the day poking about the shops. If most or many of the shops will indeed be closed I'd like to know in advance so we can sign on for an excursion before they're booked up. Many thanks!

On Canada Day uptown Saint John becomes one big flea market / artisan fair. The City market will be open, along with restaurants. Individual shops along the streets tend to be open, but expect the stores in the Brunswick Square Shopping Centre to be closed. Market Square will have activities for the kids.

On Canada Day uptown Saint John becomes one big flea market / artisan fair. The City market will be open, along with restaurants. Individual shops along the streets tend to be open, but expect the stores in the Brunswick Square Shopping Centre to be closed. Market Square will have activities for the kids.

Thanks very much for this information. Sounds like we need not worry about finding the place all closed up and having not much to do then. I did see on another thread here that the car rental agencies will be closed that day. I signed us up for the ship's excursion to St. Martin, which will still leave us some shopping time in Saint John. I'm sure we'll have a nice day. Thanks very much again.

How is the weather that time of the year. I was there last August. It was rainning and foggy. I am going to be there also during Canada day.

It should be around 70-75, however rain and fog is not uncommon in these parts so weather is not so predictable. Hopefully you'll have better luck this year.

Does anyone know what kind of festivities there is to be had on Canada day? We will be at port that day

This is what you can expect: (as per previous years)

- Canada's largest flea market (uptown streets)

- multi-cultural market - City Market

- Beach volleyball tournament on waterfront near ship

- The New Brunswick Museum in Market Square usually has free admission on Canada Day from 10 AM to 5 PM

- People parade down King Street and flag raising ceremony

- Cake cutting and eating in Market Square around noon - cake is 8' X 8'

- Magician and other buskers

- Trolley rides

- kids activities at Market Square (ie. face painting)

- Irving is a large company here - they usually set up a large stage on a transport truck and have a country music concert at King's Square.

Archived