Star or Golden from Seattle?

sharpie13

After two cruises on Princess, one in 2005 (Diamond to Alaska) and the other in 2007 (Dawn to Mexico) we've decided to go on Princess again. But which ship to take? The Golden Princess departs on Saturdays and the Star Princess departs on Sunday. The incentives out of Seattle are great, the itineraries hit the same ports, they are both grand class ships; and the only difference seems to be that the Star Princess is newer. Are there any other amenities, restaurants, food, service, that are different?

Please help us decide. :confused:

Thank you.

After two cruises on Princess, one in 2005 (Diamond to Alaska) and the other in 2007 (Dawn to Mexico) we've decided to go on Princess again. But which ship to take? The Golden Princess departs on Saturdays and the Star Princess departs on Sunday. The incentives out of Seattle are great, the itineraries hit the same ports, they are both grand class ships; and the only difference seems to be that the Star Princess is newer. Are there any other amenities, restaurants, food, service, that are different?

Thank you.

The Golden will be in dry-dock in April right before the Alaska season so you will have MUTS, International Cafe, Vines, etc. Also what you need to do is look at the times that you are in port comparing the two ships. Some have longer port times than the other, also in Tracy Arm Fjord one goes in there earlier than the other. maybe that will help you make up your mind.

Marilyn

Thank you.

I had the same dilemma. Booked the Golden, then changed to Star. My reason, after considering the time in Ketchikan I realized that the Star will have time for a Misty Fjords day cruise from there, something I've wanted to do since our first cruise. Not possible on the Golden. More time in Ketchikan does seem to be at the expense of an hour in Tracy Arm, a couple of hours give or take in Juneau and Skagway, but added time in Victoria.

You might consider the port schedule, decide if you want to plan a particular excursion in a particular port and see what fits your priorities?

Golden- Saturday departure

Seattle, Washington Saturday

---

4:00 PM

At sea Sunday

---

---

Juneau, Alaska Monday

12:00 PM

10:00 PM

Skagway, Alaska Tuesday

6:00 AM

8:00 PM

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska Wednesday

8:00 AM

1:00 PM

Ketchikan, Alaska Thursday

1:00 PM

Victoria, Canada Friday

7:00 PM

11:30 PM

Seattle, Washington

7:00 AM

---

Star – Sunday departure

Seattle, Washington Sunday

---

4:00 PM

At sea Monday

---

---

Ketchikan, Alaska Tuesday

6:30 AM

4:30 PM

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska Wednesday

10:00 AM

Juneau, Alaska Wednesday

1:30 PM

10:00 PM

Skagway, Alaska Thursday

5:00 PM

At sea Friday

---

---

Victoria, Canada Saturday

5:00 PM

11:30 PM

Seattle, Washington Sunday

7:00 AM

---

I had the same decision a few months ago. When I realized the ships were basically identical (or will be after Golden's drydock), I turned to itinerary. I preferred the port times on Star as to Golden, but YMMV. Thanks to the poster who included the itineraries above, that's a helpful tool.

Archived