Port fee increases

pjpurple6

Does anyone know why the cruise price stays the same but Royal raised the port fees? I booked a cruise on the enchantment and they just raised the port fees $37.96, was looking to maybe switch to the liberty and they raised just the port fees by $28.12,The port fees were less yesterday, I am just curious and wanted to know if any one had an answer.

Thank You.

Royal doesn't raise port fees. Each port charges the cruise line a fee for portage and services. Those prices can and do change all the time....each country deciding how much to charge.

The increase or decrease is passed on to the passengers.

Does anyone know why the cruise price stays the same but Royal raised the port fees? I booked a cruise on the enchantment and they just raised the port fees $37.96, was looking to maybe switch to the liberty and they raised just the port fees by $28.12,The port fees were less yesterday, I am just curious and wanted to know if any one had an answer.

Thank You.

I don't have the answer to this question. I can tell you that the port fees for my cruise increased 70% between the time I booked my upcoming cruise in November 2007, and when my family booked it in the late spring of 2008. I had wondered if the increase was because of the deal RCCL struck with Ft.Lauderdale to build that bigger dock, but researching that only showed the line expected a small increase in port fees for Lauderdale -- 70% is NOT small -- nor would it technically be a port fee (a direct pass through to a port authority), as it is a way for RCCL to recoup construction costs, as I understood the deal. Given the law suit some years back against a number of lines, including RCCL, as I recall, which were overcharging port fees to recoup other costs, I would tend to think none of the lines would pull that again, but who knows. Their corporate law dpartments would have handled the suit, and the recompense for the plaintiff's required them all to take another cruise to use their piddly chits, so in the end, the lines might have made out, financially, by having done it, even having been sued over it.

Archived