Cave Tubing in Belize?

Rapsmac

Right now, my heart goes out to major tom and his group since they have pulled out of Belize. I know they depend on these tours to live. I guess I got lucky and was able to go. I will be back on later if you have questions. Ask away.

Major Tom has pulled out of Belize ??? If so, that is news to me.

Pulled out of Mexican ports of call - YES.....

Pulled out of Belize due to Swine Flu - Thats news to me !

I think she meant that the cruise lines have pulled out of Belize temporarily due to the Swine Flu epidemic that has developed recently.

Major Tom has pulled out of Belize ??? If so, that is news to me.

Sorry...I was at work, typing really fast. I meant the cruise lines. I read it on CC about pulling out of Belize. Someone also told me this. I do not have any facts. I know that this person was supposed to be in the Mexican Riviera and was able to rebook to the western caribbean, but instead of cozumel, they are going to the bahamas. No Belize for them. If cruise lines are still going there, I would be so happy for Major Tom and his group. They are wonderful. Thanks for clarifying for me MattnDJsMom!

M&MCruisin

"Such as the deadly snakes and the antivenum tree or leaves used to make paper money, etc."

are there snakes during the hike? or in the water? I'm terrified of snakes and that would change my mind about doing this whole cave tubing thing!!

We were scheaduled to go to Cozumel on Carnival next week..they substituted Belize instead..some trips did substitute Bahammas instead. it just depended on your itinerary. I will check Carnival again today but pulling out of Belize is news to me. Just got the revised itinerary on Fri last week.

I saw this question posted earlier, but didn't see an answer. Has anyone done the cave tubing and Altun Ha trip with Shoretrips? I have used Shoretrips before and had a great experience. It combines the two things that interest me. I'm just concerned because it is listed as a 7 hour tour and we are in port for 9 hours. I don't want to miss the boat!

I saw this question posted earlier, but didn't see an answer. Has anyone done the cave tubing and Altun Ha trip with Shoretrips? I have used Shoretrips before and had a great experience. It combines the two things that interest me. I'm just concerned because it is listed as a 7 hour tour and we are in port for 9 hours. I don't want to miss the boat!

Id be leary about that tour due to it's length and the fact that the 7 hours is from the start of the tour and you have to allow time for the tenders to Belize City from the ship.... waiting for all passengers to get on your tour from possibly other ships or even your ship. I do not believe you can do all this in one day w/out the stress of wondering if you will be back to the tenders on time.

We were scheaduled to go to Cozumel on Carnival next week..they substituted Belize instead..some trips did substitute Bahammas instead. it just depended on your itinerary. I will check Carnival again today but pulling out of Belize is news to me. Just got the revised itinerary on Fri last week.

Belize is still on cruise ship itineraries.... there was question as to this port of call remaining on itineraries due to the recent killing of a vendor on Bannister Island.... that could be why some believe that Belize is no longer being offered on cruise itineraries, but IS NOT CORRECT !

:eek:

M&MCruisin

"Such as the deadly snakes and the antivenum tree or leaves used to make paper money, etc."

are there snakes during the hike? or in the water? I'm terrified of snakes and that would change my mind about doing this whole cave tubing thing!!

We have seen snakes in the cave but never during the hike..... and they were just as afraid of the guests as guests were of them.... they slithered away rather quickly when around humans !:eek:

We used cave-tubing dot com a week ago tomorrow & it's still vivid in my mind - we had an awesome time!! Our guides were very informative & fun on the bus ride' date=' the walk through the Rainforest (I ate Termites! :eek::D) and the River & Caves themselves! If/when I go again I wouldn't hesitate a bit about using them again!!!

P.S. you pay after the excursion with them, not before, just so you know you got what you expected & I think they work a little harder knowing that ;)[/quote']

I have a question:

We are signed up for cave-tubing.com next week and do they hold all of your stuff (like purses, sign & sail cards, towels, etc) for you because you get wet. I know this sounds like a dumb question but I worry about things getting stolen. Do you leave your stuff on the bus and then they are there for you when you get done? Please advise.

If things like money get stolen while your tubing I guess they would not get paid?

Is it safe?

I have a question:

We are signed up for cave-tubing.com next week and do they hold all of your stuff (like purses, sign & sail cards, towels, etc) for you because you get wet. I know this sounds like a dumb question but I worry about things getting stolen. Do you leave your stuff on the bus and then they are there for you when you get done? Please advise.

If things like money get stolen while your tubing I guess they would not get paid?

Is it safe?

When we have gone cave tubing on several occassions, we have used 2 of the well known tour guides here on the message board and always just left personal belongings in the vehicle. Never had a problem with anything missing ever.

I have a question:

Is it safe?

We went with X-stream on the last cruise and they told us to leave the stuff on the bus, and someone stayed with the bus (which they did!)... HOWEVER, I DON'T TRUST ANYONE... I bought an Aquapac and just took my Money, ID, and Room Key around my neck. Just a word of advice... Take only what you need, leave the purses on the ship... Just take some money, ID, Room Key, and Towel, etc.) I suggest a backpack.

Like this, but they make different sizes if you want bigger.

http://www.ebags.com/aquapac/keymaster/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=109093

we booked through MAJOR TOM on the 12th of april...here is the low down on the difference between cave tubing.com and major tom

major tom

1)you have a guided tour of the city on your way to the park(50 min bus ride)

2)when you take the 30 min hike through the rain forrest they stop and teach you all that the rain forrest has to offer..this includes eating termites(yum) and chewing on sugar cane(yum) as well as showing you all the different plant life and trees! the walk ends up taking about 45 min with major tom

before you hit the rain forrest they stop and allow you to do some tree swinging and rock jumping!

3)EVERYONE MUST WEAR A LIFE VEST WHILE IN THE TUBE!

EVERONE MUST REMAIN SEATED IN THE TUBES

EVERONE GETS 1 GUIDE PER 8 TUBERS!

SAFETY IS #1 WITH MAJOR TOM!

cave tubing.com

1) i can't comment on what i didn't see or do

BUT.....

they had one guide per 20 tubers

they allowed you to tube free style people were walking through the caves

the guides were loud! screaming and hooting and hollering inside the caves!

life jackets on alot of tubers were still strapped to the tubes! unsafe!

they just rush through the rain forest! very sad

no rock jumping or tree swinging...bummer

most bang for the buck....major tom

wanna party and get rushed through...cave tubing.com

both companies take you to the same place..why not enjoy the day?

the tour with major tom will take 5-6 hours and they know what time to be back to the port!

we had a blast with major tom!

We had the same great service with Coral Breeze tours with Ivar as a guide, much smaller group and two caves.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all...really great input...but now my head is spinning...which company to go with??? I'm leaning more towards Major Tom (cave-tubing dot net), but then cave-tubing dot com is not too far behind, and Coral Breeze following closely at third...LOL!!! :p

I'm horrible about making final decisions, guess I'll reread all the posts and try to decide for sure! :confused:

Hi all...really great input...but now my head is spinning...which company to go with??? I'm leaning more towards Major Tom (cave-tubing dot net), but then cave-tubing dot com is not too far behind, and Coral Breeze following closely at third...LOL!!! :p

I'm horrible about making final decisions, guess I'll reread all the posts and try to decide for sure! :confused:

They all get great reviews. Go with whomever gives the lowest price for the most tour. Make sure you go through two caves, it makes a difference.

Hi all...I saw alot of questions out here, but not sure if they were answered because I dont have time to read all the posts at work, but I would like to give you an overview of our cave tubing experience from 2 weeks ago.

1. we were with Major Tom (actually, we had his son "minor tom"). He is unbelievably knowledgable about the island. Its a little less than an hour drive to the caves. We requested a separate tour for 14 people, which they did for us. In the van, he engaged us in great conversation, he was up on current events, he was very intelligent and told us fasinating stories about the island and his Dad. He pointed out things all along the drive. He was top notch in my opinion.

2. we got to the site and changed clothes. The driver stayed with out belongings while minor tom took us on the tour. There is a fairly clean bathroom there to change in and a place to get drinks. There is also a couple locals selling their crafts, but not pushy like you normally see. We got our equipment and he took a group photo for me on my digital water camera (highly recommend this camera - Olympus).

3. Most of us wore water shoes, a couple wore tennis shoes...DONT DO THIS! Trust me. You walk about 10 minutes and you have to cross a river. (you get to swim here a bit) Its very rocky and I dont advise going barefoot, so your tennis shoes will get soaked. Then its another 30 minutes to the caves, which you will walk in your wet shoes. I had water shoes and it was not a problem at all for me. I didnt have any problems walking in the wet shoes and they dried quickly. Didnt hurt my feet at all.

4. Along the way, we stopped nurmerous times to learn fasinating things about the jungle. Such as the deadly snakes and the antivenum tree or leaves used to make paper money, etc. It was an easy walk and very informative. I personally am recovering from Mono and I made the walk. I couldnt carry my tube all the way, but that was due to my being sick, most everyone could carry the tube without much effort.

5. We are here! yeah! THe water is cold, but refreshing. Once you are in, its not bad, but taking the plunge is another story. Everyone sits with the butts in the hole and you are linked together by feet. So, the person behind me, their feet are under my armpits. It is pitch black in that cave and they make sure you are linked together. You will not be able to sit any other direction. Again, this is with major tom's group. The famous saying is "BUTTS UP". Its so funny, you will be saying it for a while and if you dont listen...your butt is gonna hit those rocks so hard. You will get a nice workout on your stomach! lol! Its not strenuous at all...just really funny.

6. We are off! This was the dry season as they called it and there was one part, where we couldnt get far enough left due to the current in this spot and therefore, we did a bit of cave "hiking". It was really shallow in this spot and since we got stuck, we had to get out of the tubes in the pitch dark (light on head) and walk with our tubes a little bit, until we reached a little deaper water. We may be the only group that ended up hiking, so we felt special. Again, it was funny and they can help the water levels, so we just went with it and laughed. Although, Id be the first to admit I was scared to death!

7. You are in the cave system about 30 minutes...its a slow float and they show you things in the caves. Its really neat and not scary at all like I thought it would be. You float outside the caves for a short while and then its back to the spot where you crossed the river in #3. You can swim here and even jump from a cliff or use the rope swing.

Overall, this was an amazing experience. I dont think I would go again, only because it was such a long trip to get there and once you have done it, I would think it would be anti-climactic. It was definitely worth the trip and I am so happy to have gone.

Right now, my heart goes out to major tom and his group since they have pulled out of Belize. I know they depend on these tours to live. I guess I got lucky and was able to go. I will be back on later if you have questions. Ask away.

Thanks for all the great info! I think I'll be going with Major Tom! Did anyone see any children doing this?! My daughter is 3 1/2 and I emailed cave-tubing dot com, and they said she can sit in a tube with me. I don't think she'll have any problems with this, as she's pretty adventurous, but I guess I wasn't expecting a hike. I assume you have to carry your tube during the hike as well?

Thanks for all the wonderful info. Haven't seen this question addressed, though. Would it be difficult for a heavy person? Not worried about the hike, not a problem.

Also, some pictures I have seen of people getting in the river at the beginning shows a steep bank going into the water. Is it difficult to get to the water?

Yes, you have to carry your tube. I'm really surprised they are letting a 3 1/2 year old go with you. Most tours will not let children under 9 or 10 go. When are you going? I wouldn't take her if the water is high whenyou go.

Well the first company that I contacted said they've allowed kids as young as 2 go. That company said they can sit in your tube with you and they have life vests for them. Maybe I need to double check with Major Tom's company and see what they say and recommend.

For those who booked with Major Tom--how soon did he reply to email to confirm your tour? I emailed him earlier this week and have not heard anything back yet. Thanks

We got our reply with confirmation of our booking, and even answers to questions we had asked at time of booking, within a day of submitting our reservation request!

Are you sure that a reply from them didn't end up in your trash/spam folder?

You might want to send them an email inquiring about the status just in case!

Hope it works out!

Paulette

Just back from Belize onboard the Legend. Here is the deal.

Major Tom is who we went with. This is an adventure expedition! Major Tom is a magnetic character and you will be greeted by him when you get off the ship. They want to be paid in cash if you did not do so in advance with PayPal. You will wait until stragglers come off the ship. You will be riding marginally air conditioned school buses. You will get a guided tour and learn about Belize. The poverty is readily apparent. A long ride out to the foothills of the mountains where the caves are is exciting. Saw cavetubing.com bus get run off the road! Stopped at convenience store to get water, beer, snack, whatever. Last group of buses to arrive at Park. Guides were great. Colorful characters and really prepare you for tour. Safety is a very high priority with them. You leave everything on the bus where is it is supposedly watched. I would bring as little valuables as possible. Rope jumping and mini-cliff diving to warm you up. An informative walk throug the forest. When you get to river 1 guide per 5-8 people max. They watch out for you with calls of "butts up" and steer you away from large obstructions. Perhaps the most revealing comment that I heard from a guest on another tour was "did you see how our guide left us?" On Major Tom, guide is with you all the way. Last group of buses to leave the park Got a boxed lunch of rice and stewed chicken leg with little meat on it. Be prepared to be on the last tender back to the ship. They tell you not to worry, buts its hard not to as you see the last tender time pass as you are on the bus. He does call ahead and let the tender guys know hes coming. I would not want to be stranded in Belize City. All worked out in the end. It kind of added to the adventure of it all.

So would I do this again? Once is enough. But if you are looking for a truly unique adventure in a third world country, Major Tom is the way to go. If you want the deluxe luxury tour go with one of the smaller outfits that puts you in a 10 passenger van. Other than a dive or snorkle experience there isn't much to do in Belize, as it is a limited port. Good luck! ( water level still low as they have not reached height of rainy season)

Thanks for all the wonderful info. Haven't seen this question addressed, though. Would it be difficult for a heavy person? Not worried about the hike, not a problem.

Also, some pictures I have seen of people getting in the river at the beginning shows a steep bank going into the water. Is it difficult to get to the water?

It's a 45 minute trek on fairly level terrain. You do have to carry a tube - and it's sized based on your size. They aren't that heavy, but after 45 minutes, you'll be ready to throw it down. If you are physically able, you shouldn't have any problems. You'll want to wear some shoes with some traction, but not sneakers.

Also, beware of fire ants. We got eaten alive when we went in September.

It's a 45 minute trek on fairly level terrain. You do have to carry a tube - and it's sized based on your size. They aren't that heavy, but after 45 minutes, you'll be ready to throw it down. If you are physically able, you shouldn't have any problems. You'll want to wear some shoes with some traction, but not sneakers.

Also, beware of fire ants. We got eaten alive when we went in September.

Okay...so what insect repellent works to keep the fire ants away?!!! I definitely need to know ahead of time...they seem to really like me, but I really hate them...LOL!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Paulette

Archived