Disney Magic

Sail With Me

For us it was a choice of the cruise OR the resort as we couldn't do both. We decided on the resort as we wanted to be right in the middle of it on the big day, July 17. We got a room at the Grand Californian and we expect the parks to be filled to capacity. It's going to be awesome, hot, crowded, expensive and unforgetable.

I'm hoping that Disney will shift one of the ships over to the West Coast during Hurricane season to reduce the expensive problems asociated with hurricanes and to increase resort visitors during the slower Fall season. A Land/Sea would be great here on the Left Loast. No, I haven't heard any rumors about this, I just made it up myself.

Anyone sailing n the Magic out of Los Angeles June 18th. What a grat way to celebrate Disneyland's 50th. anniversary. It is about time Disney Cruise Line sent a ship to the West Coast.
I know a few folks who are taking advantage of the West Coast berth of the Magic. Our friends whom we cruised this past October are taking the two-week transitional cruise through the Panama Canal, though. I am so jealous!

I'm hoping that Disney will shift one of the ships over to the West Coast during Hurricane season to reduce the expensive problems asociated with hurricanes and to increase resort visitors during the slower Fall season. A Land/Sea would be great here on the Left Loast. No, I haven't heard any rumors about this, I just made it up myself.
Host Mick -- Disney does not have any plans to relocate its ships to the West Coast during hurricane season. Rates are traditionally cheaper during hurricane season, and having four hurricanes go through in succession was just a complete fluke. Plus, usually when there's a hurricane coming, they can easily reroute their itinerary to avoid it.

That said, there are very, VERY long-term plans that will have either the Wonder or the Magic move to Long Beach. Considering the fact that Disneyland's new president, Matt Oiumet, was the head of the Disney Cruise Line, might tell you that there are lots of plans and ideas afoot! :)

Here's the problem: Disney can't bring a ship to L.A. permanently until they bring into their fleet another ship (or two). I think they want to build more than just one, though. But the problem is that the shipbuilder they used for the Wonder and Magic just got the job to build a whole new fleet of ships for Carnival, and this will be tying them up for the next decade. In addition to that, the dollar=Euro conversion is really bad right now. It will cost Disney almost twice as much to get the same configuration ship now than it did when the Wonder and Magic got built.

But the West Coast cruises that celebrate Disneyland's 50th anniversary is their trial run. They wanted to see how much demand there would be on the West Coast. The response was overwhelming... the two-week transitional cruises sold out in hours (and I don't think the regular cruises were far behind). Of course, since then people have had to put down a deposit, and many didn't, so a number of staterooms have opened up, allowing those on the waitlist to get a room. Come next year, more rooms will open up when people don't pay their balance, for various reasons.

Fun stuff! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

We will be taking our 2 grandchildren (6 and 4) on the June 11th cruise out of LA. We couldn't believe it when we saw that DCL was sailing from LB...so we booked as soon as possible (we are DVC members,and have been to Disneyworld with the kids each of the past 2 years).

Never sailed DCL before (have sailed Celebrity, QM2, RCCL). We are in LA area so this is soooo much easier. Our daughter is actually sailing in Med at that time, so we have the kids and said, OK, we'll cruise too.

I believe the sailings are heavily booked, and some with wait lists. This should be interesting with Disney "out of their element" not being in Caribbean. I'm sure the kids won't notice a thing

Stewart and Marilyn

Archived