How long does it take RCI to transfer booking to a TA?

Does anyone know how long does it take for RCI to actually do a transfer of a booking to a TA? I also want to know if it is possible to transfer this same booking from the TA back to RCI? If so, how long would that take?

My situation is I had a next-cruise open booking ($200) from Oct 2008 Sovereign sailing, and decided to book an Alaskan cruise for this Sep 2009 from Vancouver RT on Serenade of the Sea. Well, newbie that I am, I agreed to transfer my open booking to a local, reputable TA on 02/11/2009 via 3-way call (to take advantage of a 1/2 off booking deposit special. I downloaded the transfer form and faxed it to RCI. I then made a $50 payment towards Sep 2009 cruise and full payment is due in 06/2009 sometime. So, here we are 02/20/2009, and I still haven't heard if RCCI has transferred the booking. My TA just says it hasn't happened. I guess I have to keep pelting her with emails or phone calls or something. Is this normal?

So what is the normal ebb-and-flow on this "transfer" time-wise, anyway.? Also, I'm ultra concern if my $100 OBC is an automatic attachment to this booking (7-day Sep 09 cruise) or do I have to be concerned that it will "slip off" or something???

Anyway, am I expecting too much too soon? I realize the TA has to earn a living by making new bookings and such, but how can I get resolution to my questions.

Is it too difficult to get the booking transferred back to RCI so that I can get control and answers to my questions (and pay my full deposit)??? or am I stuck with this TA or what. I won't do TA again or am I unrealistic as to what a TA can do?

Any help to these questions will be greatly appreciated.

I transfered mine one day and I had a confirmation two days later.

Have you called Crown and Anchor and asked them if the transfer has been processed? If you call C & A and try to make a change in your booking they will tell you right away if the transfer has been done. Once you transfer it to the TA you will no longer have control of your booking and can't make changes.

The transfer back could be difficult. I tried doing this once with a large online agency. I couldn't get any help from them, I had the choice of canceling the cruise or living with them. Since the cruise had increased in price I stuck it out.

I am sure someone will post information about what the process is to get the TA to release the booking if they aren't helpful.

Be sure to keep your original booking number when you make any changes. If you keep that booking number your OBC should stay with you. They won't let you combine discounts anymore, so you could lose multiple discounts when you make changes.

It should not take more than a day to do the transfer you need to find out if the TA is truly interested in having your business. I would call RCCL and give them your booking # and if they say that they are unable to talk to you that you need to contact your Ta then you know that the TA has the booking and you need to follow up and make sure that the full deposit is on the booking or the booking may cancel and then you would lose your OBC. OBC is usually added 24 hours after the booking is turned into ship and sail date.

if you have any questions you can contact me at email: glittergirlfl@yahoo.com

It's done the same day I transfer to my TA:)

Call RCCL yourself and see if they have the booking since your TA is saying she/he doesn't have it. As long as RCCL has the booking you can deal directly with them yourself. If the TA gets it then you have to go thru the TA and no, its not easy to transfer a booking back to RCCL from a TA. You have to have a good reason why you would want that done and the TA must be willing to release the booking. A transfer should be done in a day so something went wrong with yours and it doesn't sound like it went thru.

It's done the same day I transfer to my TA:)

Call RCCL yourself and see if they have the booking since your TA is saying she/he doesn't have it. As long as RCCL has the booking you can deal directly with them yourself. If the TA gets it then you have to go thru the TA and no, its not easy to transfer a booking back to RCCL from a TA. You have to have a good reason why you would want that done and the TA must be willing to release the booking. A transfer should be done in a day so something went wrong with yours and it doesn't sound like it went thru.

Or check the payment section of that cruise in "My Cruises". Once the TA has the booking it changes and your TA is listed instead of all the payments and dollar amounts.

Thanks everyone. My TA responsed to my late-Friday-night email on the transfer/OBC question this morning. Points to her for responding on a weekend. Seems RCI has transferred the booking to her and the OBC is there (according to her). I think I'm just not the let/trust-TA-kind of person. I did, however, get the 1/2-deposit only requirement, and that freed up my $$$ to my the airfare and my own travel insurance via TravelGuard. Helps keep the credit card bill down. Thanks again all.

Archived