Seasickness

Tisha49

Will be cruising on Liberty. It's our first cruise. How is everyone with seasickness? Have you taken the bonine? Does it make you sleepy?

Thanks

Yes, it definitely can. Are you prone to motion/sea sickness? You could also try ginger or sea bands. The sea bands can be purchased at places like CVS, Walgreens, etc. Sometimes a combination of products works well to...like Bonine at night. You should also check with your doctor.

I always get script from my doctor for the Transderm-Scop Patches. I stick one behind my ear before we go on the cruise and change it every 3 days.

I have never been sick on any of our cruises. We have gone to Alaska, Northern Atlantic, Hawaii and the Caribbean.

The only problem is that my mouth tends to feel like cotton. I will take that over being seasick any time!!!

Judi

I always pack ginger Altoids.... I've only had to use them once, on a transatlantic with some rough seas, and it was my fault trying to do crosswords lying down while we were pitching a lot.

Just because you are prone to motion sickness, doesn't mean you will be seasick. I can not ride in the back seat of a car yet I have no problem on the sea, even in the aft or bow of a ship. Conversely, on one transatlantic we had a former Concord pilot on board who used to fly supersonic jets, and he was deathly seasick.

There is no rhyme or reason to it, you won't know until you try.... just be prepared with as many different kinds of remedies as make you feel comfortable.

On our first cruise I was really shocked when I got seasick. Having grown up around lots of various small boats on all kinds of choppy waters I was sure this would never be a problem for me, especially on a "floating hotel." Thankfully I had brought along plenty of meds for DH.

We took the Bonine because I'd read it wouldn't make you sleepy like the Dramamine. We had trouble staying awake. We'd sit down in the theater pre-show, order our drinks and before the waiter could return with them we'd both be sitting in our seats sound asleep (hopefully not drooling on ourselves, but we were asleep so who knows.)

Since then we take the patch. Put it on the morning of, at breakfast, before leaving for the ship. Like Cruisin' Judi above we also have a bit of the cotton mouth. But we are usually in the Caribbean and needing to drink more water to stay hydrated in the heat anyway. Also by around the 5th day we will notice some slight problems with our eyes focusing. We'll start to notice we are holding our menus further and further away from our faces to read them. This is usually when my husband stops wearing his. Me, I don't want to chance the nausea, so I wear mine to the end. The eye problems clear up within about 14 hours of discontinuing the patch.

Thanks everyone. WE are on boats quite a bit in the summer and none of the family has motion sickness unless reading in the back seat of a car. I just want to be cautious. I think I'll just buy everything..bonine, ginger, sea wrist, patch and have it on hand for the family. I think if I take bonine, we'll try it at nighttime before bed. It might not hurt to even take some bonine at home some early evening to see the effect.

Having the stuff in the suitcase couldn't hurt. Thanks for all the tips.

Try Motion Eaze, can get it at Walmart. It's not easily located and employees nor Pharmacy had a clue what I was talking about. :mad: I stumbled across it 3 years ago on our first cruise. Never needed it but took it every cruise. :p Have let others use and all have said it works. Bought for first time cruisers last fall and again Walmart had no idea. :rolleyes: Found it on the bottom shelf by the other motion sickness items. It's a natural remedy as well. Was nearly on my hands and knees! :o Highly reccomend!

Happy cruising!

Kat

Archived