Eden Rock

boomboom51

Just got back from a stop in GC, and my wife and I decided to try out Eden Rock. I do alot of snorkeling, and own my own gear, but I have to say, Eden Rock was really fantastic! We printed directions from a few places on the web:

http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm#GTEden

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

But, it was even easier than we thought. You simply get off the tender, turn right up South Church Street, which follows the shoreline up the island. Walk, (yes it is a very short walk) about 4 blocks to the Eden Rock dive shop, and you are there. You can not miss it, and you will see it as you tender in. It is so close to the pier (only tenders in GC) and all the cruiseships are several hundred yards away, that we were very worried that the site would be terrible. But it was so close we decided to go anyway. The site was wonderful, there was plenty of reef, with an abundance of fish just at shore. It you swim out about 60-100 yards, as recommended, you get to some shallow reef that is just teaming with fish and has tons of reef formations and grottos. Depth to the floor is about 30-40 feet, but depth to the reef in places is less than 10 feet. At times it was like swimming in a stocked aquarium, as the numbers and variety of fish was wonderful.

The entrance to the reef is located behind Eden Rock Dive shop. There is no fee to go in, and you can freely use their area to get prepared. They have a few picnic tables there for you and free freshwater shower and equipment rinse tank. You can rent lockers and there is a bathroom for changing if you like. Of course they have full equipement rentals as well, both snorkel and dive stuff. We found the folks there incredibly helpful, and opted to rent a locker and buy a few t-shirts from their dive shop as the least we could do for their help and generocity.

Highly recommened, and bring a change of clothes, so you can go shopping afterwards, as the walk back to the pier includes many shops including the Tortuga Rum Cake factory shop.

Also, a block away is Club Paradise, a restaraunt that also has a free entrance to the reefs for snorkeling, and equipment rentals. We stopped there, but the restaraunt was packed, so we went a few blocks into town instead, so I have no experience at that site.

Why choose?

We did the sting ray city in the morning with Capt Marvins, including a garden snorkel, then they dropped us off at Eden rock. We rented some scuba equipment and did a 40 minute shore dive, it was great!

Only thing I can complain about was the current, we didn't plan our dive very well, cause once it was over, we had to fight the current back to Eden rock.. :D

Archived