MARINER QUESTIONS? Returned 4/25/04

gfkr2

We're going May 16 - eastern. Aside from the ice show, what other shows were must-sees in your opinion?

One of my party is concerned about the rocking of the boat - how smooth was your cruise?

Anything that surprised you about the trip?

Glad you had a good time! icon_smile.gif

Where did you go in place of Labadee?

First night's turndown service?

Stateroom location?

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

I'll take a crack - back from Mariner 3/14.

Shows: I enjoyed karaoke and one of the headliners (one of the old Motown groups - can't remember which, but those guys sure could entertain). I thought the other headliner and the (Not Ready For Primetime) Royal Caribbean singers and dancers were full of enthusiasm, but weak. The Quest was, IMHO, stupid. (OK, here come the flames. Remember folks, this is only my opinion.) The marriage game, or whatever they call it, was funny.

The ship rocked some, and I rocked some for about 48 hours after returning. Never bothered me much, and I never took meclizine, although I had it with me. I thought the rocking just added to the experience: reminded me I was really on a ship, which I could sometimes forget, as big as the Mariner is.

Surprised me: how beautiful the ship is, really elegant, and how fantastic the service was. Ship is a 10; service was a 10; food an 8 or 9.

We went to Freeport instead of Larabee.

First night turndown was present and accounted for. We had a super room attendant.

Stateroom 6770 (balcony). It was beautiful and very comfortable.

We were scheduled for Coco Cay. Unfortunately, upon arrival the Captain deemed tendering was unsafe. The Ship steamed to Nassau as an alternative--- I HATE Nassau, but appreciate RCCL's efforts.

Our room # was 8658, port side- aft. Everthing is in the back of the ship, so aft is a good choice. Friends stayed in a HUGE suite on deck 10.

Turn-down was never a problem. Our attendant literally waited outside our room after seeing me walk down the hallway.

The ship rocked a bit in rough seas, but nothing that causes any distress. I've been on cruises where the dining room was empty due to rough seas. Didn't happen.

The comedian was great (a Boston guy). I also like the RCCL dancers/singers. Don't miss the parades in the Royal Promanade. Matt Yee in the Schoonar bar is a treat. See him.

There was nothing disappointing, well maybe the line at the rock wall was too long and I got closed out. That's about it.

Get to the bow of the ship late on a calm evening. Most will not be able to find a way up-front. You need to go up the stairs on the outside of the ship from level 4. There is nothing like dancing under the stars with your s/o. Unlike other cruise ships passangers go right up to the very point of the bow and put their arms over the rail just like the movie "Titanic". It is an unforgetable expereince.

HI Adam,

The parades were the 1st night and last at 5:15 PM. Both were outstanding. Don't get under the bridge since some of the entertainment will be right over you.

For Kimmie,

Hello to a fellow Canadian..we are also on the May 16 sailing on Mariner....Can't believe that there are only 20 more days considering we booked this way back last June.

Come and say hello on the Meet & Mingle thread for this sailing.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=5573007727&p=1

Glad to hear the Captain Johnny is back on board as Captain....

Emmy

Navigator of the Seas ~ May 2003

Sun Princess ~ April 2002

Enchantment of the Seas ~ April 2000

Nordic Empress ~ May 1998

Splendour of the Seas ~ April 1997

Star Princess ~ February 1995

Countdown to Mariner of the Seas - May 16,2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;05;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Journey on the Jewel April 23 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;4;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hi GFKR2,

I noticed on the Port of call boards that you missed the Bucaneer Catamaran in Stingray city. I also booked with grandcaymanexcursions.com, so I'm a little worried after reading your post. I was wondering whether you had problems because 1) you could not find the meeting place (capt. Bryan's office?) or 2) they lost your reservation? Did you get your deposit back for this, or did they keep it?

Were you able to find another excursion to replace this? I heard there are a bunch of operators near the port that offer excursions with no advance reservations.

Thanks for the info.

I read somewhere else on these boards that there were 3 parades but when we were on the Voyager there were only 2 parades. So 2 is the right number? Thanks!

<MARQUEE>Lisa<MARQUEE>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Mariner of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas - Oct. 2003

I recall 2 parades only. Perhaps, I missed one being a state of total relaxation.

As for the Stingray City Expereince, I think Grand Caymen Excursions dropped the ball. The claimed after the fact there was a computer problem that resulted in the reservation not being received. Make sure you know exactly where and when to meet. Grand Caymen Excursions is NOT in the local telephone directory, nor are they known to those staffing the tourist information booth. If you are unsure make sure to stop at the booth under the gazebo at the tender terminal on Grand Caymen.

We did a local boat on the spot and had a good time. The aforementioned comments about tours being offered without advance booking is correct.

Tuesday and um...um Thursday were the formal nights as I recall. You lose track of days at sea--- thank goodness for the elevators(!!) Yes, it is awful being back to reality. icon_mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

For Kimmie,

Hello to a fellow Canadian..we are also on the May 16 sailing on Mariner....Can't believe that there are only 20 more days considering we booked this way back last June.

Come and say hello on the Meet & Mingle thread for this sailing.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=5573007727&p=1

Glad to hear the Captain Johnny is back on board as Captain....

Emmy

Well, to be correct Emmy, your good friend and TA booked this for you!

V&M

Jewel of the Seas April 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;4;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas May 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas May 2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2003;5;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Explorer of the Seas November 2001

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2001;11;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived