Mazatlan?? Need suggestions

pammy3

Hi all!

Looking for an excursion in Mazatlan.

We'll be on the Splendor the end of September. We've never been and having a hard time finding something we would both like.

We've made our plans for PV and Cabo (zipline & beach). Please let me know if there's something in Mazatlan we have to do or can't miss.

Thanks a bunch

Pammy

the first time we cruised to mazatlan we took the tour up to the mountain artsy village, with the brick factory and furniture factory stops. The little village is real cool and gave a fell of old mexico.

The zip line and cabo beach do not seem to include the "old Mexico" experience, although after the zipline you will likely end up in very nice old town pv.

We have been many times since and now visit all our favorite spots in mazatlan. We leave tomorrow on the mariner to visit again. We will end the day in mazatlan on stone island

mazatlan.jpg

We did the same ports that you'll be doing ... we tend to like to do "active" excursions when in port, and we went the first half of Dec 08. Had originally planned for beginning Sept 08, but learned that's the rainiest time of the year, as well as still in hurricane season :eek: December was beautiful, and we were in 80 degree temps wearing shorts/tshirts while Central Coast, CA (our home) was getting freezing temps, and Vegas got snow!

In Cabo, we kept things open with plans to either catch public bus to either Chileno Bay or Bahia Santa Maria w/ our own snorkeling gear, or parasailing. Ended up becoming friends w/ another couple on the ship and we all went parasailing together, just walked to the end of the pier and there was a booth for SkyKing, about $35-40pp, afterwards had time to stroll around the marina and stopped for beer, chips, salsa.

Mazatlan, booked online and directly w/ Randi's Happy Horses for a beach ride on Stone Island. We are of all different riding levels, and my husband wasn't really into it when I was planning our excursions, but we all had a good time, you can see the big smile on his face in one of the pics. Randi meets you at the terminal, gets you back/forth to Stone Island, horses are well cared for and well trained, and you get to ride at your own pace rather than nose to tail, so can gallop along the beach if you want. At the end, Randi buys the first drink (soda or beer) at Victors and there's time to relax on the beach for a while if you want (she didn't rush us back as long as every one was happy hanging out on the beach and/or at Victor's).

PV, did you read about the Outdoor Adventure at all? It's probably the most fun I've ever had (and I'm almost 50)! It's ziplining plus :D I posted a lot more detail, info, pics about it on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911115

Here's some pics of our horse ride on Stone Island, Maz ... we also saw some ATV's go down the beach, but while riding saw some dolphin swimming off shore.

569215187_81KevinsmilingonhorseStoneIslandMazMexRivieraCruiseDec0808.jpg.2f31db0891d737a7af696b2b76f8d092.jpg

1685381731_94seedolphinKevinguideLouiseonhorsesStoneIslandMazMexRivieraCruiseDec0808.jpg.24ae276a8dbc9e01d36b544caf7c9ba5.jpg

142834787_83KevinDeniseErikaonhorsesStoneIslandMazMexRivieraCruiseDec0808.jpg.4b95cd12371641ff7dd20c666b489b2c.jpg

1394073921_80KevinguideLouiseonhorsesStoneIslandMazMexRivieraCruiseDec0808.jpg.c75e89ce2bdb0f9f31e5b207991ab619.jpg

dfitz - I read through your posts and have a question for you. You said that due to contracts between the tour operator and ship, you have to book through the cruiseline is that just RCCL or Carnival too? Do you know? Also, did you find a website direct to OA? We're going on the Splendor in June and this excursion looks awesome. To be honest we never book through the cruiseline so I'm not sure if Carnival even offers it. Thanks for the review and the great pics. :)

dfitz - I read through your posts and have a question for you. You said that due to contracts between the tour operator and ship, you have to book through the cruiseline is that just RCCL or Carnival too? Do you know? Also, did you find a website direct to OA? We're going on the Splendor in June and this excursion looks awesome. To be honest we never book through the cruiseline so I'm not sure if Carnival even offers it. Thanks for the review and the great pics. :)

Hi Jules7226,

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed the pics and the info was helpful. I'm not sure about Carnival, but I heard it was "contracts with cruise lines" (plural). If you are allowed to book direct, it looks like current regular price is $98pp, less 10% for booking on-line, for cost of $88.20pp, while RCI's price was $114pp when we went, just looked it up and they're back up to $129pp (but I'd found a deal online through another operator that was closer to $80 when we went, so still quite a difference w/ 3 or 4 in our group). Looks like Carnival is charging $139pp ... wow, 37% more than direct, on-line prices! see my notes/details at end of this post.

I finally decided that the extra cost was worth it for us to book through the cruise line (but it wasn't as big a difference as Carnival prices) since it included that extra insurance that the ship won't leave w/o you if you're late back from a ship excursion (and it is a long excursion). However, before booking w/ the ship, I'd tried really hard to book independently ... the only thing I didn't try was telling them I was staying in PV (rather than admitting I was a cruise line passenger).

It really was a great excursion, and I'm a major bargain hunter, but feel it was worth the price ... even through the cruise line. Here's the direct link to the place that runs OA, there are other discount tour companies as well, but this link has video, pics, info on the eqpt, guides and training of guides :-)

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/outdoor-challange/index.html

I love researching & bargain hunting, curiousity got to me, I found it on Carnival's website. Go to excursions for your cruise, it's listed as

Extreme Canopy

Description: Leave the "civilized" world behind for a truly active outdoor adventure in the Sierra Madre. Full Details

Duration: 6 Hours

Pricing From: Adult: $139 Child: $139 (interesting since we just went 2 months ago and in this economy, RCI cost was only $114 2 mos ago ... however, I think right after I booked our cruise, I'd contacted RCI asking why such a big difference, and I think they lowered it to the $114 from a higher rate I'd seen on RCI's website months previous ... so might be worthwhile for you to contact Carnival and ask why they are charging you $139pp when you could book direct on-line for $88.20 ... Carnival is charging 37% more pp if my calculations are correct! ... I think it's important that we all become proactive in letting them know that we are aware of things like this ... maybe we all need to let Vallarta Adventures know that we're not happy w/ not being able to book directly w/ them at the lower price too! ... I'm sending them an email next! esp since I've been recommending this so highly!

Leave the “civilized” world behind for a truly active outdoor adventure in the Sierra Madre.

On this excursion you will:

• Begin with a panga boat ride from the pier. Take an off road adventure to the heart of the tropical forest.
  • Hike through the forest, learn a variety of wilderness techniques, ride mules and splash through streams.
  • Then, rappel through waterfalls into natural river pools, and soar 200 feet above the ground over the jungle foliage on a 1,000-foot zip line.
  • Have a fun, educational and unforgettable adventure courtesy of your guides’ knowledge of the landscape and wildlife.

Note: Minimum age is 12 years; maximum weight is 220 lbs. Participants must be actively fit and wear hiking shoes or closed-toe walking shoes.

Terrain will be rocky and you will get wet. A towel, mosquito repellant, and a change of clothes are recommended.

Pregnant women and guests with back/neck injuries, walking difficulties or heart conditions are not permitted on this excursion.

Bottled water and snacks are included. Lockers to store personal belongings are available at the Base Camp.

BTW, I just sent the following email to Vallarta Adventures, maybe if they and the cruise lines hear from more of us, a positive change will occur :):

We cruised with Royal Caribbeal early Dec 08, and your Outdoor Adventure was one of the excursions we did. We loved it, it was the most memorable part of our trip, and as a cruise critic member, I have been highly recommending the Outdoor Adventure on numerous boards, to many cruise critic members.

However, another cruise critic member just asked me for more details and had also asked what I knew about booking directly, rather than through the ship. That got me curious about what your current cost was for someone booking direct online vs through the cruise line.

Are you aware that while someone can book direct, online w/ you at a cost of $88.20pp, Carnival cruise line is charging $139pp, and Royal Caribbean is charging $129pp?

That's crazy since cruise line passengers are being told they cannot book directly and must book through the cruise line at an increased cost of approx 37% per person! Especially in today's economy, that may make your Outdoor Adventure out of reach for many families.

Please feel free to forward my email to the cruise lines if you would like. It's just not right for people to have to pay that much higher a cost because they are traveling via cruise ship. I hope this practice of excessive overcharging to cruiseline passengers comes to an end. If there is any further info I can provide to help you in working w/ the cruise lines, please let me know.

Sincerely,

D Fitzgerald

dftiz - Thanks once again for all of the great info. You'll have to let me know if you get a response from your email. That was a great email by the way. ;) Maybe things will change for the positive before we actually cruise in June. It could happen I spose.

We just returned from Mexican Riviera on Sapphire Princess, and I highly recommend booking a tour with Mazatlan Frank. He is such a nice, personable, and knowledgable tour guide, who seems to take pride in what he does. We had booked a private tour for our group of 8, and it was $70 pp. We did the City and Resort tour, and he took the 8 of us in his nice, air-conditioned van to the cathedral, city market, tour of the old mazatlan, tour of the new areas with high-priced homes and marina, Golden Zone, and then stopped at a lovely resort/hotel right on the beach for lunch and some time to enjoy their facilities: beach, pools, hot tub, restaurant/bar. Our lunch was included in the tour price, and we could order from the menu: appetizer, soup or salad, entree, and dessert.....and it was all delicious! After lunch we had time to just relax in their pool or poolside....Frank got towels for us. It was a beautiful hotel and resort! We made several stops during the day so that we could walk around and Frank would tell us the interesting facts of Mazatlan and the area, and point out areas of interest. If you have not made other arrangements, book a tour with Mazatlan Frank. His website is: http://www.mazatlan-frank.com or e-mail: frank@mazatlan-frank.com

Archived