Tipping the room steward the first day?

MickeyG

I guess I don't get it. What's the tip up front supposed to get you?

After 15 cruises, the steward comes into the room twice a day, picks up the towels, cleans up the bathroom, makes the bed, then turns it down at night. What more should I expect or get that I would want to tip at the beginning? I don't tip at the beginning so what am I missing? Or is up front tipping for people who know they are going to be calling the steward 5 times a day to fill the ice bucket or perform some other trivial tasks?

Inquiring minds want to know.

That is the way I feel also. In 9 cruises we have got great service in 8 of them. For those 8 we tipped the steward basially double the suggested tip at the end of the cruise. For the one time we got louzy service that steward just got the "suggested" amount which was probally too much for the way he cared for us.

I know they always say if you hang up your towels you mean to reuse them to conserve energy- still they always give us fresh towels twice a day. So unnecessary-I usually only take one shower a day and I don't mind washing my face with the same washcloth twice. It seems to me the stewards go out of their way to do more then we asked for anyway.

Archived