Navigator of The Seas-How do you dress?

Since DH doesn't post or even read the boards, I'll answer for both of us. We were on the Navigator for the 10/30 to 11/06 cruise.

DH wore a dark suit with different ties and shirts on formal nights. The other nights he wore slacks with nice collared shirts. Smart casual seemed to be no different than casual. I even saw some men in shorts and hats. :rolleyes:

As for myself, I'm not into pantyhose and high heels that make half of my body hurt by the end of the evening. I wore long formal gowns on formal nights. The other nights I wore slacks outfits or capris. I never needed the pashmina I brought in case of cool temps in the dining room.

I wore a navy suit on formal nights, my wife wore a nice dress. The first nite most folks wore suits or tuxes , and evening gowns were common. Second formal nite was much less formal, many folks just wearing normal casual clothes.

Second formal nite a guy at a table next to me was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, along with red suspenders. Told the waiter he was wearing the red suspenders because is was formal nite, and he thought he would dress up.

I was on the 10/30 cruise and my husband wore a tux for the formal nights and a polo shirt and trousers the other nights, I wore a floor-length gown on the formal nights and casual tropical style dresses the other nights. Most of the women wore pants on the casual nights but I liked the dresses and they packed up so well, taking almost no room in the suitcase. I wore heels with the gowns and flats sandals with the others because I have a problem with my toe which made the heels terribly painful. Anyway, you definitely will see a mix. There were a handful of men who wore shorts and tee-shirts on casual nights. Most people pretty much follow the recommended dress.

(Male here...)

On Formal nights:

1st formal: Black Suit, white shirt, formal tie fastened with collar bar, white handkerchief

2nd formal: Same but with a colorful fancy tie

Smart Casual:

Nice shirt, slacks, tropical weight and comfortable sportcoat

Casual:

Nice shirt that I can wear out (especially like a snazzy guayabera style), slacks

Just returned from NOS on Saturday. Formal nights were tuxes or dark suits for men. Other nights no jacket needed or tie. Many colorful caribbean shirts.

Formal nights for the females were dressy, gowns, dressy pant outfits etc.

Other nights casual and smart casual were the same. A lot of capri's and slacks and some sundresses.

My last cruise was a year and a half ago and it was much more casual this time. I could have packed much lighter. There were even people in the dining room in shorts for dinner and I even saw some in jeans. They were in the minority but it seemed that anything went.

I don't know if this is the norm or not. Formal nights are nice but smart casual on all the others is also nice. You can relax a little more and still look pulled together and within the dress codes.

Have a wonderful relaxed cruise and don't fret o;ver your wardrobe. I wish I was back on the ship.

We were on the Navigator last spring. I wore long dresses on formal nights, slacks/capris and nice blouses on other nights. DH wore black suit for formal and slacks with collared shirts and dockers with polo shirts for casual.

:D Thanks to everyone for the replies, I hope they keep coming. To everyone cruising on NOS 1/8/05 I'd love to throw out an idea...........Let's dress up! I see lots of people complaining on these posts that nobody dresses for dinner anymore, so let's show them how it's done. What do you think?

On our 10/23 cruise, we dressed up for formal nights, with DW wearing formal gowns and me wearing a dark suit. However, times are changing and you simply won't get everyone to dress in the traditional way anymore. If I had to guess, I would say the first formal night had roughly 80% of the passengers dressing in formal wear, but on the second night, it seemed everyone either got lazy or lost interest, because the percentage went down dramatically. One gentleman wore a tux jacket, ruffled white shirt and bow tie along with a pair of blue jeans. Others wore shorts or jeans and appeared not to care.

Keep in mind that once you are onboard the ship, you will not find a suggested dress code anymore. The evening's dinners will be named formal, casual, etc., but there is no longer an actual dress code or suggestions. Instead, in your daily Compass, you will find a short blurb about what is NOT allowed in the dining venues at any time - wet bathing suits, bare feet and tank tops. That's it. Since the cruise line is no longer stressing tradition, fewer people are sticking to it. A few short years ago, you would never be allowed in the main dining room for any meal with shorts or jeans on many cruise lines.

We were on the NOS last week. My 17 year old daughter and I wore fancy cocktail dresses on the formal nights. My DH and DS wore suits. We enjoyed dressing up and got some nice family photos. On other nights we wore capris and skirts and the guys wore polo shirts and dress slacks. There was a caribbean night and a 50s-60s-70s night for hawaiian shirts and tropical colors.

Archived