Q's re: Belize (ATV Adventure) and Cozumel (Passion Island) for Michelle (or anyone)

thunderbird1

Michelle-Welcome back! I followed you over to your blog, and am really enjoying your reviews. I also had a couple of questions about your last cruise.

Belize (ATV): I know there is an age limit for driving the ATV's, but was there an age limit for passengers? I think my ds would really enjoy it, but he'll only be 6, so I wanted to make sure he'd be allowed. And I was looking at the ATV/Cave Tubing combo, but you mentioned that you would have liked to do the tubing if it was warmer. How chilly was it? I assume it's cooler in the caves--did anyone happen to say how cold it was? Just curious.

Cozumel (Passion Island): Sounds terrific, but we are indeed cruising on Carnival, and they have that 7 year age requirement for the transportation to Passion Island (twister boat). Are there no private companies that offer Passion Island excursions? This makes sense, if it's a "cruise only" destination, I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying.

Thanks again for all your help!

So you want to drive your 6 year old on the ATV? You can email Yhonny (the guide) and ask him if he would recommend it for that age.

yhony@cave-tubing.com

He told me 12 to drive. But didn't say what passengers could be. :D The details for the tours are here....

http://www.cave-tubing.com

Yes, the caves are cold in February. Obviously the normal temp of a cave stays the same. But I was told the water was really chilly in Winter time.

Passion Island - everything I am finding says that the only way to get there is through the cruiseline. :( Carnival takes that darn speed boat. I was looking at a private tour company and it said that the excursion was no longer offered. So I just asked on the Port board for you. We'll see if we can get a response...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=18279030#post18279030

I found a private tour company that does the boat to Passion Island (not the Twister)...

http://www.*****/vip.html

I am asking on the Port board if this company is reputable or not. I know people were having some problems with this tour company and the twister. But I don't know if they had problems with this tour.

Michelle-Welcome back! I followed you over to your blog, and am really enjoying your reviews. I also had a couple of questions about your last cruise.

Belize (ATV): I know there is an age limit for driving the ATV's, but was there an age limit for passengers? I think my ds would really enjoy it, but he'll only be 6, so I wanted to make sure he'd be allowed. And I was looking at the ATV/Cave Tubing combo, but you mentioned that you would have liked to do the tubing if it was warmer. How chilly was it? I assume it's cooler in the caves--did anyone happen to say how cold it was? Just curious.

Cozumel (Passion Island): Sounds terrific, but we are indeed cruising on Carnival, and they have that 7 year age requirement for the transportation to Passion Island (twister boat). Are there no private companies that offer Passion Island excursions? This makes sense, if it's a "cruise only" destination, I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying.

Thanks again for all your help!

Check our Paradise Beach for Cozumel. It's a short taxi ride & they have trampolines etc. for the kids. Great restaurant, chairs etc. My son loves it (me too!!). They also have massages for 1.00 per minute. Here's the link: http://paradise-beach-cozumel.com/gbook.php?gb=2

So you want to drive your 6 year old on the ATV? You can email Yhonny (the guide) and ask him if he would recommend it for that age.

yhony@cave-tubing.com

He told me 12 to drive. But didn't say what passengers could be. :D The details for the tours are here....

http://www.cave-tubing.com

Actually, I'd never thought about the ATV's because all the Carnival excursions I've seen have 18 year old age requirements. I was just thinking about the cave tubing. Then I read your review and assumed your kids (your youngest is 4? 5?) went with you--did they not?

Obviously, I'm not looking to do anything too risky with him--just looking for different things to do that are appropriate for kids while still being fun and safe.

Yes, the caves are cold in February. Obviously the normal temp of a cave stays the same. But I was told the water was really chilly in Winter time.

Thanks again for the heads up--I think the caves are out. I'm a big wimp when it comes to cold, especially cold water, and ds would never hold up (the kid has no body fat--I wonder sometimes if he's really related to me:rolleyes:).

Passion Island - everything I am finding says that the only way to get there is through the cruiseline. :( Carnival takes that darn speed boat. I was looking at a private tour company and it said that the excursion was no longer offered. So I just asked on the Port board for you. We'll see if we can get a response...

I found a private tour company that does the boat to Passion Island (not the Twister)...

http://www.*****/vip.html

I am asking on the Port board if this company is reputable or not. I know people were having some problems with this tour company and the twister. But I don't know if they had problems with this tour.

Thank you so much--you really didn't have to go to all that trouble. Passion Island does look like a lot of fun, but I'm torn between it and Chankanaab and (see below):

Check our Paradise Beach for Cozumel. It's a short taxi ride & they have trampolines etc. for the kids. Great restaurant, chairs etc. My son loves it (me too!!). They also have massages for 1.00 per minute. Here's the link: http://paradise-beach-cozumel.com/gbook.php?gb=2

Thanks for the link--this is what I think I'm leaning towards. While I would love to go to Chankanaab for more snorkeling, if we're already doing that at a couple of other ports, the kids would probably prefer the trampoline and iceberg. At least I have a few months to decide.

Paradise Beach also has snorkeling. We've been to Passion beach & paradise & prefer Paradise especially since it's so close. The arm bands are $10.00 for non motorized watersports, just to get a lounge chair is free so long as you eat & drink there. The fajita's are fabulous. When you arrive they assign you a waiter & he takes care of you the whole day. We always order lunch but go eat under the pavillion they have. One thing to note is the menu will say they add a 20% fee to use a credit card. This is actually a tip. It's not worded very good. We always pay cash for the arm band then use a credit card for the rest. Just don't let the wording confuse you on the menu, it's not a 20% fee plus you still need to tip on top of, it includes your tip.

Nope, the kids didn't go with us to the Belize ATV tour. It was the first time we had ever left them on the ship. It worked out well. :D

I was going to try Paradise Beach this time before I settled on passion Island. Frankly, Paradise Beach reminded me too much of Playa Mia...and I didn't love Playa Mia that much. :)

Many do love Paradise Beach though.

I have been to Playa Mia & Paradise Beach. Playa Mia has a pool which is th only plus with kids. Other then that all the lounge chairs (except by the pool) are those plastic shell things thay are right on the ground. The food is horrible there.

Paradise Beach is totally different. There is no pool but plans for one don't know if it's ready or not. The food at Paradise Beach to me is better then Pancho's Backyard & they have the good lounge chairs with umbrella's to go up & down if you need shade. They also have the iceberg & two trampolines that kids love to play on.

I was also at Passion Beach several years ago, while the beach is beautiful I didn't like the 45 minute travel time to get there. The food was just ok.

If you want a great beach that's close & cheap with great food & lots for kids to do Paradise Beach is to me the best choice.

Archived