Aruba our review - helicopter trip/museum/beach/restaurant

vickie_bernie

We visited Aruba on Jan 19 and Feb 2 on a back to back trip on the Grand.

We were scheduled to do a helicopter tour of the island, when we went over there was no helicopter, the attendant told us they were experiencing mechanical problems. No problem and we were able to reschedule for two weeks from now and he gave us a discount too.

So we walked around, went to one of the museums and then caught the local bus to Eagle Beach, cost was $1.30 each and we went to mathew's restaurant at Casa Del Mar hotel. Very nice...

The beach was beautiful, but we were not prepared for the beach as we had planned on the helicopter trip.

We walked out to the main road and a bus stopped (a tour bus - old school bus - with music blaring and we rode back to the ship. We just got on and we knew from previous trips that the normal fare one way is $3 each, but when we got off he said $5 each and we said no it is $3 and he agreed.

On the second visit we went to the helicopter pad and sure enough they were there and we did the whole island tour.

All I can say is "Oh my God" that was great. It lasted about 30 minutes and we saw everything and got great shots and video. This was a birthday present for my husband and he was blown away.

After the helicopter trip we walked around town and went to get a bite to eat at one of the restaurants upstairs in that big shopping plaza right near the port. I think it was called Iguana JOes, but the menu didn't have anything that jumped out and then we noticed the $15% added fee - that didn't really say gratunity just added fee. Since we didn't care for that (even though we know that is customary in touristy areas - and we are good tippers) we went elsewhere (sorry can't remember the name).

We did some light shopping and then headed back tot he ship for some sun up on the top decks.

Thanks for your post. I was wondering if you would please post or send me a few more pictures of the helicopter and the view. My wife and I are thinking about taking the tour and is sounds wonderful but she is a bit cautious about flying. Thanks ahead - Brownie

Hi Vicki - I was wondering if you have a pic of the call numbers on the helicopter in Aruba so I can review the safety record?

the only picture I have the helicopter is the one I posted above - where are the call letters? Didn't even think about that, but good point

Archived