Travel Insurance and "First Trip Payment"?

CorbinCatFan

Does the "First Trip Payment" in Travel Insurance policies include a deposit?

I was looking into purchasing travel insurance to cover a work related cancellation. I have placed a deposit down for a cruise well over 200 days ago and I'm closing in on the cruise payment date. I have always been under the impression that since the deposit is fully refundable, it is not considered a payment but is included in the payment when paying for the cruise.

I the reason for this question is work related. I am part of a two person department which both of us can not be off at the same time. The other person is going on maternity leave and should return the week before my next cruise. I am concerned that she might elect not to return to work after the baby and leaving me with no alternative but to cancel my cruise until a replacement can be trained.

Has anyone had to cancel under these conditions? If so, what travel insurance did you have and when did you purchase?

I think it is possible that it is different for different insurance agencies, but that is certainly something you want to clarify before you purchase a policy. We always purchase travel insurance, and any company that we have purchased it from has considered the first deposit to be the date of the first trip payment. If you are told differently, just be sure that you get it in writing. We are presently still trying to collect on a policy for a cruise cancellation last Oct. Didn't have pre-existing coverage, and although hubby did have some pre-existing condition, the reason we couldn't go was an entirely new condition. However, they are dragging their feet all the way. Don't know how we will come out on it, but we will continue to purchase travel insurance. It will just be with a different company.

Thanks for the reply. I've since looked at the Access America Deluxe package which does not include the first payment statement for cancelling due to work requirements.

I understand the issue with pre-existing medical conditions as the reason for this statement.

Has anyone had to cancel due to required work conditions?

Archived