wheelchair to beach in st. thomas and st. maarten

flyershigh

hi, i was wondering if it is possible to get on a beach in st. thomas or st. maarten. i seen some pics that shown pathways beside buildings(restaurants i think) that went all the way down to the sand. do they go down close enough so that i could enjoy a beach. my hubby would put me in a chair if they were available and close...just wondering r they?

In St. Maarten the beach is very accessible. My husband and I just got on the water taxi and it took us straight to the beach. Not a hasstle at all, the whole thing took about 20 minutes (if that). We did have to wait for a wheelchair accessible boat, but it was no problem. The men on the taxi actually picked my husband up out of his chair and put him on a special seat, and did the same thing when he got off. They were very friendly and helpful. The water taxi was $10 per person, round trip. You won't have a problem at all getting to the beach! I can't say about St. Thomas, we stayed on the ship that day. I hope this helps. :)

We checked out Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas for accessibity and found if you can get there by taxi, the walkway goes from the front of the hotel onto the beach on level ground. We plan to try this in November.

which hotel are u referring to?

thanks, rose

In St. Maarten the beach is very accessible. My husband and I just got on the water taxi and it took us straight to the beach. Not a hasstle at all, the whole thing took about 20 minutes (if that). We did have to wait for a wheelchair accessible boat, but it was no problem. The men on the taxi actually picked my husband up out of his chair and put him on a special seat, and did the same thing when he got off. They were very friendly and helpful. The water taxi was $10 per person, round trip. You won't have a problem at all getting to the beach! I can't say about St. Thomas, we stayed on the ship that day. I hope this helps. :)

hi, which beach does the water taxi take u to?

thanks, rose

hi, which beach does the water taxi take u to?

thanks, rose

I don't know the name of the beach, but is was very close to where we got off the water taxi. We got off and walked through the main plaza (not very big at all) and the beach was on our right. You can't miss it.

Note: we received numerous offers for "special" tours that would accommodate my husband, but we got around just fine by ourselves.

We walked around town, shopped a little and relaxed near the water. It was very nice.

how far are we talking like a few miles or so?? that would be nice also. as then we would get to see more of the island on our way to the beach.

thanks, rose

My husband uses a scooter. We walked to the town and beach since we didn't feel comfortable on the water taxi. It wasn't a long walk from the pier. Lots of people were walking. There was broken pavement, puddles, uneven ground, etc, but the scooter went easily over or around it. Wasn't scenic, just along a road. This review says the walk was about 15 minutes.

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/StMaarten.htm

Hope this helps.

Archived