Over night parking lahaina,maui,hawaii

STUR

:)we will be in lahaina over night i have rented a car to keep over night

will there be a problem parking over night near the pier i belive we will be tendered to and from the ship

we leave in 21 days r/t san diego to hawaii

cant wait to get out of the cold and snow

stur dayton,ohio

I can't help you with the overnight parking question, really, but wanted to give you a "heads-up" that ANY kind of parking in downtown Lahaina is close to impossible when a cruisehip is in port. We rented a car two years ago and did fine outside Lahaina, but decided to turn it in and walk after driving around for a long time looking for a parking spot to go for lunch. We'd wanted to have lunch at Whaler's Cove, originally, both the parking structure and the lot were totally full, so after several tries we just left. Sorry to be so negative but that was reality.:(

Stur,

I rented a car for the two days that we were in Lahaina. We were able to find overnight parking a few blocks from the tender port. We parked in a shopping center parking lot and paid around $5-7 for overnight parking. I can't tell you the exact location, but it was about 3 block to the left of the Baynon tree park and about two block away from the coast. The shopping center had a grocery store and a few other shops. We were suppose to pick up the car by 9 AM, but didn't get there until around 9:30-10 and there wasn't a problem.

Our second day in Maui was on Halloween. Lahaina turns in a crazy place on Halloween. The shuttle driver told us that it used to be a great party event, but in the last few years it has become a drunken, destructive brawl, with thousands of people. We are talking bullets flying, vandalizing shops, etc. The shop keepers now close their shops and board them up. The locals have learned to all stay home. The port closed by 3 P.M. so we had to board the ship before 3 and sail. So we missed out on 5 hours of time to spend in Lahaina.

Stur,

I rented a car for the two days that we were in Lahaina. We were able to find overnight parking a few blocks from the tender port. We parked in a shopping center parking lot and paid around $5-7 for overnight parking. I can't tell you the exact location, but it was about 3 block to the left of the Baynon tree park and about two block away from the coast. The shopping center had a grocery store and a few other shops. We were suppose to pick up the car by 9 AM, but didn't get there until around 9:30-10 and there wasn't a problem.

Our second day in Maui was on Halloween. Lahaina turns in a crazy place on Halloween. The shuttle driver told us that it used to be a great party event, but in the last few years it has become a drunken, destructive brawl, with thousands of people. We are talking bullets flying, vandalizing shops, etc. The shop keepers now close their shops and board them up. The locals have learned to all stay home. The port closed by 3 P.M. so we had to board the ship before 3 and sail. So we missed out on 5 hours of time to spend in Lahaina.

You probably parked at Lahaina Center (betweent Front St. and Wainee, parking is accessed from Papalaua). That's where you find Hilo Hattie, Hard Rock Cafe, Warren and Annabelle's, and other stores/restaurants/movie theater. Old Lahaina Center is between Lahainaluna (but not accessible from Lahainaluna) and Papalaua. That's where you'll find Foodland (great grocery store), smaller stores, and the Maui Theater (where they perform 'Ulalena). There is pay parking at Lahaina Center. There is free parking at Old Lahaina Center--but only for a couple of hours when shopping there; you can't park there all day or overnight. (That is, they didn't use to have pay parking there overnight; that may have changed.)

STUR: Parking in Lahaina can be a buggah! Don't count on parking overnight "near" the tender pier. For one thing, there is no real parking right at the harbor. What is there is limited time and no overnights. They will ticket and tow. However, there are several pay lots nearby (across Front St.; off Dickenson and Luakini). I don't know which, if any, offer overnight parking these days. I think some people have paid for overnight parking at the 505 Front St. complex (south a few blocks on Front St. from the banyon tree courtyard).

beachchick

Beach chick, we parked at the location that had the Foodland grocery store.

My Hawaiian cruise was in Nov 06, so anything and everything could have changed since then. Sorry Stur, I thought that I had included my cruise date in my info to clarify the date of my experience. :rolleyes: Locals know best.

Wants2cruise: Mahalo for the information. That's good to know. It means they're doing overnight parking at both centers. We really haven't paid attention to the parking situation at the centers for years because we stay in Lahaina when we visit and have parking included where we stay.

beachchick

Archived