Peso vs. US$ Santo Domingo

TravelerThom

Since I'll be in Santo Domingo for a couple of days I thought I ought to see what people know about the currency situation. There are currently a little over 35 DR Pesos to the US Dollar. How important is it to get DR Pesos? Will taxi drivers accept dollars a) willingly, b) grudgingly, c) not at all? How about small local restaurants, etc? I know that the Dutch West Indies have their own currency, but everything essentially operates in US$. Dom. Rep. on the other hand is a "real" country, and I'd expect DR Pesos to be much more important. Thanks for any input.

Dear Thom:

Tourist taxis (from the airport, at the port or at hotels), would willingly take USD. In fact, most of the times their rate is in USD. Regular taxis (which in the DR operate on a call basis not hailed from the street), have a peso based tariff but can occasionally accept dollars (although not the norm). Local restaurants could accept USD, but most of the times they will give change back in Pesos or ask for apesos if you are paying cash. However, you can use a credit card or debit card (Visa, MC in most palces and AMEX in fewer ones) for purchases at shops and restaurants. The exchange rate is within market rates. If you want to have cash, most hotels have a bank exchange desk or you can go into any commercial bank to sell USD or Euros for Pesos. This is usually the best rate. The Santo Domingo Airport and the Port also have money exchange desks with market rates.

Hope this helps. Regads, DR_GUY

Archived