Carnival Paradise????

CBussey64

We were on the Paradise in April 2004 when it did a Caribbean cruise out of Miami. At the time it was a completely non-smoking ship. It was our first cruise and we loved it. I can't comment on what she is like now, but we will be on it in a month, and I will try to remember to take some shots. Let me know any specifics. It is the same class as the Elation which we sailed on in 2006. Both great ships.

John

Just booked a 3 day scrapbooking cruise from San Pedro to Ensenada ... anyone been on this ship? Pictures? Stories?

Thanks.

We've been on the Paradise twice and is one of my favorite ships, you'll have a great time! There are pics in my signature.

We were just on her in Jan and Feb. She's a wonderful ship. She just came out of a drydock and Carnival added a Serenity area on 9aft and a Mongolian station and rotisserie chicken on the lido.

Carnival is remodeling the outside of the Dome for the Splendor's arrival. It has been fun to see what they are doing.

The Dome is the building where Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose was hangared while on display in Long Beach.

The ship is very casual and the crew is friendly. For 'casual elegant' night, the dress was everything from long to short to cocktail to slacks for the gals. Guys wore everything from tuxes, suits and shirts, ties and slacks.

As for stories- We booked the cruise in Feb at the last minute. It was comical to see some of the crews faces when they recognized us from the Jan cruise.

Any other answers needed?

Does anyone know why the Paradise didn't receive the Waterworks upgrade? Just curious as to why some of the Fantasy class ships have it and some don't. :confused:

I think the plan is for all of them to have it by end of 2011 or so, but I think it's a scheduling financial thing, it takes a month of drydock to make those upgrades.

My wife and I were on this ship back in 05 when it left from miami. Same as other post, non smoking ship and we loved it. Even if it's not non smoking you will love it. I should say, if it's in the same condition, than it will be a great cruise.

I think the plan is for all of them to have it by end of 2011 or so, but I think it's a scheduling financial thing, it takes a month of drydock to make those upgrades.

I just have to laugh in that we missed the Sensation's upgrades by 1 1/2 month and we might just miss the Paradise's as well (if they don't add it before I sail with my mom in a year).

Sorry, one last question...do most Carnival ships go into dry dock every year? Or just when they need it? :confused:

Can anyone confirm whether this is still a non-smoking ship?

It is NOT non-smoking anymore. I just was on her last week.

There is not any rotisserie chicken. The deckplan on the Carnival website says it is next to the mongolian BBQ but it isn't there. Instead it is the grill. Hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken nuggets, fries, tortilla chips, chili and cheese sauce. Oh and some desserts. The tortilla chips are like you would make at home from cut up tortillas and the cheese sauce is very good.

I wasn't impressed with the mongolian BBQ. It is supposed to be quick cooked in a wok but they WAY overcook it. It should just take a few minutes and be done but they even put a lid on it and let it cook for 5 minutes or more when it already looked done to me. We go to a mongolian BBQ at home all the time so I know what is supposed to be like.

Michelle

MrsBlair - The Paradise is now a "limited smoking areas" ship. Basically designated areas only, but smoking is now allowed.

lollylew - Carnival typically dry docks ships every 3-4 years for extensive work, however they can make minor fixes such as new paint, carpet, etc. either overnight or while the public areas are closed during disembarkation/embarkation. Dry docks typically involve structural changes (new pools, bars, etc) or major renovations.

There is not any rotisserie chicken. The deckplan on the Carnival website says it is next to the mongolian BBQ but it isn't there. Instead it is the grill. Hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken nuggets, fries, tortilla chips, chili and cheese sauce. Oh and some desserts. The tortilla chips are like you would make at home from cut up tortillas and the cheese sauce is very good.

I wasn't impressed with the mongolian BBQ. It is supposed to be quick cooked in a wok but they WAY overcook it. It should just take a few minutes and be done but they even put a lid on it and let it cook for 5 minutes or more when it already looked done to me. We go to a mongolian BBQ at home all the time so I know what is supposed to be like.

Michelle

I, too, was disappointed by the mongolian BBQ on Carnival. I experienced it on the Imagination in December and thought that it lacked real flavor. Most mongolian grill restaurants have very flavorful sauces/spices, but Carnival offered three choices (a soy/terriyaki sauce, a szechwan sauce and an asian bbq sauce), none of which really added flavor, especially when combined with the water/oil mix that they use to cook with in the woks.

I much prefer the pizzeria and deli to the mongolian grill. Didn't try the poolside burgers/hot dogs/rotisserie because the lines were too long and I knew that I could get those foods at home. The pizzas are hand made, not frozen crusts and the De Chevre (mushroom, goat cheese) is the best!

I absolutely love Carnival's pizza - one of the things I'm most looking forward to this weekend! Oh, and the cruise... :p

Yeah let's not forget about that!! HEHE

When I was on the Sensation, one of the ship's comics made a funny remark about how the ship had all these Italians but yet it was two Filipinos making the pizzas (and yes, they were GOOD so they knew what they were doing :))

We were just on her in Jan and Feb. She's a wonderful ship. She just came out of a drydock and Carnival added a Serenity area on 9aft and a Mongolian station and rotisserie chicken on the lido.

Carnival is remodeling the outside of the Dome for the Splendor's arrival. It has been fun to see what they are doing.

The Dome is the building where Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose was hangared while on display in Long Beach.

The ship is very casual and the crew is friendly. For 'casual elegant' night, the dress was everything from long to short to cocktail to slacks for the gals. Guys wore everything from tuxes, suits and shirts, ties and slacks.

As for stories- We booked the cruise in Feb at the last minute. It was comical to see some of the crews faces when they recognized us from the Jan cruise.

Any other answers needed?

Just wondering if you happened to see my favorite band "Music Boardwalk"? What did you think of them? Mary49

Michelle

The "rotisserie" they added was the mac & cheese, along with a couple of other comfort food items - no meat like the other ships have.

As far as the waterworks in another post, it was supposed to be added this drydock (along with flat screen TVs in the rooms that weren't), I believe it was the economy thing & the fact that bookings have slowed.

Just booked a 3 day scrapbooking cruise from San Pedro to Ensenada ... anyone been on this ship? Pictures? Stories?

Thanks.

Whoa!

I hope you are aware that while all the other cruise lines use LA's cruise port in San Pedro, Carnival uses their own separate facilities in Long Beach.

They're not the same place.

I just want to make sure...

Archived