Bar setup in Royal Suite - yes or no?

cruznbelle

Could someone please confirm whether or not we can order up a bar setup and/or liquor in the Royal Suite on the Radiance? Normally I wouldn't ask as this just seems like a given, but an earlier thread indicated it was not possible from RCCL which totally took me by surprise. The RS is almost twice the cost of an OS suite (at least for this cruise), I would *hope* I could get some vodka and scotch with mixer available to the room - regardless of whether I had to pay for it or not...:o as the point is that this suite is meant to be enjoyed. Not just stayed in.

The RS on the Enchantment back in 2004 did come with a setup of 4? bottles. I would find it hard to believe that we couldn't order up liquor given that a bar is actually built into the room. Otherwise what purpose does it serve?

While I love champagne and wine, DH is strictly scotch and would be sorely disappointed if this was not available.

Thanks!

Just returned recently from explorer RS.

There is NO bar set up. If you are having a party you can pre arrange a bar with the concierge at extra cost. But no, there are no spirits in the suite. We had champagne on arrival, and had it topped up daily so there was always bubbly or wine in the suite. Also, we had wine packages booked and didnt use all the wine. The restaurant arranged to have bottles from the package sent to the suite.

That aside... I would stick a bottle of scotch in your luggage. My niece brought a bottle of vodka on board (she didnt know she couldnt!), she left it in our suite. We came back and the suite attendant had stuck it on ice in a bucket! So...dont think they would question one bottle of scotch to be honest.

It IS a big shame that the bar cant be used for its intended purpose. Hope you have better neighbors below you than we had:rolleyes:

Have a fabulous time! No matter what, it IS lovely as you I am sure know from your previous vacation!:)

Wow, I'm really shocked that you can't have a bottles of spirits.

When we sail in the Penthouse Suite on Celebrity, we have actually been asked by our butler what bottles of spirits we would like in the Butlers Pantry. Two full bottles of spirit were provided FOC with mixers. We were told if we ran out, we could just ask for more.

we stayed in the Presidential family suite on the Independence last October, (we had booked a Royal family suite and got an amazing visit from the upgrade fairy!) there is a large bar area on the massive blacony. We did not want to see our amazing facilities go to waste and we therefore arranged a cocktail party on the balcony. We spoke to the concierge ( you need to give a few days notice) and he arranged beers, wines, spirits along with canapes. ( and 2 staff to serve it all) We invited our room neighbours and tablemates and others that we had met onboard, over 30 people.

The balcony still had plenty of room for mingling, the children loved playing in the hottub with their friends they had met on the ship.

RCCI certainly knew how to charge for this set up, it was very expensive, but we knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, to have your own private party onboard a ship - so we went for it.

It is very STRANGE that the vessels best cabin with a BAR does ot have any liqure at all. I think it is just to ask what you need. I do understand that you will have to pay for it - but it is suppose to be yr home away from home.

I wold like to ave some after dinner (aveck) drinks in the cabin before going to bed.

Given RCI's aversion to liquor being present in any cabin (without RCI employees present) I'd have to say no - no chance of a bar set-up.

About the only thing you might be allowed is a bottle of wine or champagne. This is hardly a nice scotch or vodka though. :) Your husband will be disappointed.

We agree, it's like RCI treats pax like children.

Several years ago in the Royal Suite on the Splendour OTS, there were 3 or 4 bottles on the bar, gratis.

In 2007, our only option in a suite on the Jewel OTS, was to have bar attendents available to take drink orders. The options through the concierge were just not acceptable.

Not sure if all of this has to do with pax falling overboard, or bad behavior.

It's a shame, nontheless, to have beautiful, (albeit expensive), suites and not be able to enjoy them with drinks and friends.

Sorry, but this is one area where RCI really drops the ball....

Happy Sailing,

TnT

A policy they really should change. We had a beautiful GS this summer for

a European cruise. Lovely bar, but no vodka (don't drink wine). I hoped

to enjoy my drinks on the balcony or getting ready for dinner but it was

a pain. Had to send my DH out each time to the bar to bring me back a

drink. The concierge lounge was very close but they were very strict that

you could not take a drink out of the lounge back to your cabin. All in in

was not too impressed with the GS "perks" although of course the extra

space is nice. It makes no sense as their sister line Celebrity lets you order

your bar stocked!!! - and they make money off me which I am happy to

pay! We have a trip on AOS in three weeks and I am going to try the

rumrunner flasks.

Be sure to write on the comment cards (and perhaps send a letter or at least an e-mail to Royal Caribbean) stating your desire to have a bar set up opportunity. If enough people do so, perhaps they will amend the current policy. :)

just returned recently from explorer rs.

There is no bar set up. If you are having a party you can pre arrange a bar with the concierge at extra cost. But no, there are no spirits in the suite. We had champagne on arrival, and had it topped up daily so there was always bubbly or wine in the suite. Also, we had wine packages booked and didnt use all the wine. The restaurant arranged to have bottles from the package sent to the suite.

That aside... I would stick a bottle of scotch in your luggage. My niece brought a bottle of vodka on board (she didnt know she couldnt!), she left it in our suite. We came back and the suite attendant had stuck it on ice in a bucket! So...dont think they would question one bottle of scotch to be honest.

It is a big shame that the bar cant be used for its intended purpose. hope you have better neighbors below you than we had:rolleyes:

Have a fabulous time! No matter what, it is lovely as you i am sure know from your previous vacation!:)

wow...

###

The wet bar setup in the RS on all of the ships that you are talking about...... were built long before Royal Caribbean stopped allowing liquor in the cabins. At one time the RS either came with a number of bottles of your choosing, and then later........it was just a question of going to the liquor store onboard and purchasing what you wanted for your suite.

If memory serves me correctly, the Oasis will only have a dry bar in the largest suites.

If someone can afford the RS.......they should be able to afford what the ship charges for parties. Providing liquor at a party can run around $55.00 per person for the party.

So far.......I have never heard of anyone having liquor confiscated once they do have it in their suite. RCCL has their rules, and I guess the OP would have to decide whether they wanted to break those rules, and not be mad if their liquor was confiscated on the normal bag check before the luggage arrives in your cabin.

Rick

The wet bar setup in the RS on all of the ships that you are talking about...... were built long before Royal Caribbean stopped allowing liquor in the cabins. At one time the RS either came with a number of bottles of your choosing, and then later........it was just a question of going to the liquor store onboard and purchasing what you wanted for your suite.

If memory serves me correctly, the Oasis will only have a dry bar in the largest suites.

If someone can afford the RS.......they should be able to afford what the ship charges for parties. Providing liquor at a party can run around $55.00 per person for the party.

So far.......I have never heard of anyone having liquor confiscated once they do have it in their suite. RCCL has their rules, and I guess the OP would have to decide whether they wanted to break those rules, and not be mad if their liquor was confiscated on the normal bag check before the luggage arrives in your cabin.

Rick

It is not a problem paying whatever it cost to have a pparty in the cabin. I just like to do whtever I whant to do whenever I whant to do it. I like to make my own drink in the afternoon or evening in the cabin.

I do understand that RCCL whant to be secure that not pax under 21 drinks in the cabin - but that it easy to controll in the best suites of the vessels.

I am very suprices that it is not possable to have some drinks in the cabin. I was expecting that travelers in RS was called up before the cruise and asked whatever they whant in the cabin.

I understand that it is cost related to the service.

It is not a problem paying whatever it cost to have a pparty in the cabin. I just like to do whtever I whant to do whenever I whant to do it. I like to make my own drink in the afternoon or evening in the cabin.

I do understand that RCCL whant to be secure that not pax under 21 drinks in the cabin - but that it easy to controll in the best suites of the vessels.

I am very suprices that it is not possable to have some drinks in the cabin. I was expecting that travelers in RS was called up before the cruise and asked whatever they whant in the cabin.

I understand that it is cost related to the service.

I'm not saying that it is impossible to have a cocktail in your cabin....I'm just saying that it is against RCCL's rules to bring any liquor onboard for consumption onboard.

And, no......Royal Caribbean will not call you to ask what you want in the RS.

If you are a Diamond Plus.......which means that you have cruised with Royal Caribbean many times in the past, you will receive a call from the D+ desk to ask what ammenity that you would want. This does include either wine, champagne, flowers or other items.

If you are looking for a large cabin, where you can relax and have cocktails from your own bottle, and order more when needed, you might want to consider giving Celebrity a try. They allow that. Also, other higher end lines such as Crystal, will actually stock your cabin with whatever you wish.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Thanks everyone for your replys. It truely is a shame and definitely will move RCCL down the list of cruise lines I choose (itinerary always comes 1st followed closely by space/overall experience). It just doesn't seem right that I can pour myself a champagne or wine but DH has to jump through hoops just to have a scotch.

This room is a gift from me to him for our 10th anniversary as he loves to play piano before retiring (with a glass of scotch of course). We bought our player baby grand because of our 2003 trip in the RS on Enchantment. If he doesn't feel like playing, we have all sorts of CDs that play the piano during parties etc. which we plan to bring with us.

I'll be fine with my Champagne and wine.... DH will just have to bring some with... :( I do plan to write RCL about this as it is ridiculous when you consider what they charge for the room and given that every other line including X allows this. I doubt I'll get any consideration, but who knows. Perhaps the new butler service will be of some use in this area.

No matter what, we'll enjoy ourselves. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for your replys. It truely is a shame and definitely will move RCCL down the list of cruise lines I choose (itinerary always comes 1st followed closely by space/overall experience). It just doesn't seem right that I can pour myself a champagne or wine but DH has to jump through hoops just to have a scotch.

This room is a gift from me to him for our 10th anniversary as he loves to play piano before retiring (with a glass of scotch of course). We bought our player baby grand because of our 2003 trip in the RS on Enchantment. If he doesn't feel like playing, we have all sorts of CDs that play the piano during parties etc. which we plan to bring with us.

I'll be fine with my Champagne and wine.... DH will just have to bring some with... :( I do plan to write RCL about this as it is ridiculous when you consider what they charge for the room and given that every other line including X allows this. I doubt I'll get any consideration, but who knows. Perhaps the new butler service will be of some use in this area.

No matter what, we'll enjoy ourselves. Thanks again.

If he is set on having his scotch........here is a thread that might be helpful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=920192

I cant see the difference in making my own dring from the bottle - and having a guy serving it.

I am very supprised that you can not have a bottle or 3 in your Royal Suite cabin......

I like the privacy - and do not plan a party inviting a lot of people I dont know inn to my cabin. I like to spend the time with my family and thats IT:)

Archived