sun princess extra charges

tazza

Hi there. I am curious to find out about those "extra charges" skimmed over in the brochure. Could anybody, that has been on the Sun Princess in Australia, tell me what the various charges (+-) are for the patisserie, the ice cream bar and the pizzeria. We sailed with Royal Carribbean and the pizza's were included so were the coffees, hot choc and cakes and biscuits.

Hi there. I am curious to find out about those "extra charges" skimmed over in the brochure. Could anybody, that has been on the Sun Princess in Australia, tell me what the various charges (+-) are for the patisserie, the ice cream bar and the pizzeria. We sailed with Royal Carribbean and the pizza's were included so were the coffees, hot choc and cakes and biscuits.

tazza, I think you might have more luck with this question over on the P&O board since the Sun is sailing under different rules now that it has gone down to AU.

We have sailed on the Sun many times when it sailed out of the U.S., but from what I am reading, a lot has changed since she sailed South. I know the Dawn had a ton of changes after going to AU also.

Best of luck getting your answers though. ;)

Hi Tazza

We have been on Dawn Princess, and going on the Sun this year. I assume the charges will be the same on both ships. There was no charge for the pizzeria. No charge for cakes etc from the patisserie, but you paid for specialty coffees, or purchased a coffee card if you like a lot of coffee. I think the ice creamery was around $2 or $3 for a sundae. You could purchase soda cards or soda/mocktail/sundae cards for about $5.50 and $10 per day respectively.

Hope that helps you :)

On the Sun Princess there is no charge for pizza or cakes. Speciality coffees can be purchased, or a coffee card can be purchased. A soda card is available at AUD$4.50 per day.

You will be pleasantly surprised at the cost of on-board expenses because they are all priced in Aussie dollars. A bottle of wine costs from AUD$22 upwards with many available for AUD$30. The wines are Australian and very good. :):)

As has already been mentioned, questions on cruiseships operating out of Australia are handled on the P & O Australia section of this board.

Evon.

Hi. we just left the sun princess in Melbourne last week after travelling to Noumea and Vanuatu. There are no charges for pizza, pattissierie in fact the only extra charges on the ship are for the sterling steakhouse $20AUD, the ice-cream parlor $1 - $3AUD or the espresso coffee. We didn't bother with any of the extras because you can get coffee anytime from Horizon or around the pool. Iced tea or lemonade during the day is free from Horizon and at breakfast juices are free. We used to have dinner in the traditional dining, go to a show and then go to Horizon and get some pineapple slices (absolutely beautiful - and we come from Australia - better than we have ever tasted) and a cheese platter and bickies (sorry crackers/cookies) and a cup of coffee and take them back to our room and sit on the balcony and enjoy the night before retiring for the night. Very civilised! You can get ice-cream at lunch and dinner in the main dining room and these are fantastic. In fact all the desserts are great. Many times we couldn't make up our mind and had several, no problem.

So really you don't need to spend any more money on food if you don't want to.

A word though - Australia is not a country that tips very often, we don't need to because all the workers are paid well anyway. We are not used to tipping and will only do it if it is justified with EXCELLENT service over and above the normal. So it is a bit of a shock to get on a ship that automatically charges you $10 each per day for tips. As well as 10-15% on top of the drinks bill. A great many passengers cancelled this charge and gave tips to people who served them personally. We considered this and halved the $10 each and gave our waiters and steward personal tips. What we worried about is if the money actually goes to the workers in full or not. Considering bingo is such a money grab it is not funny. Just makes you wonder.

Thanks everybody, Billy and Charlies Mum - I have made a mental note about the pineapple and cheese and bikkies! What a great idea. Thanks for that - we are Australian too, any other tips?

Archived