Prepaid Gratuities

drana

I'm a little confused. When you say "pre-pay" are you talking about the $10/day/passenger charge they put on your S&S card when you get on the ship or are you talking about any extra tips you might want to give?

AUTO-TIPS are added on your S&S card and show on your S&S total at the end of your cruise.

PRE-PAID tips are added to your cruise fare which is paid on your final payment date, PRIOR to your cruise.

Dan

Yes there is a downside.Everyobe states they know when the tips are removed,so they would know when they are pre-paid so they can give you lousy service because they know you can't remove or adjust them.

If you remove them,they work harder to try and get them back.:D

Steve:p:D

The preceding is imaginary information with NO basis in fact.

Dan

The preceding is imaginary information with NO basis in fact.

Dan

Thats odd,because you always say they are informed if you remove the tips?:confused:

I think you also stated that they are guaranteed to make a certian amount anyway so it does not really make a difference. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16472997&postcount=50

Thats odd,because you always say they are informed if you remove the tips?:confused:

I think you also stated that they are guaranteed to make a certian amount anyway so it does not really make a difference. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16472997&postcount=50

More of your vivid and over abused imagination. Why does the IDEA of tipping keep you awake nights? Where's the link to my posts where I say I don't believe you tip AT ALL?

NO factual info from you, once again. From me, you find what you can............

Dan

I always pre-pay my gratuities. When I first started pre-paying the Carnival page did indicate if you pre-paid your tips they could not be removed. But that has changed and you may now adjust all gratuities if necessary.

We pre-pay tips and buy funship dollars (everyone knows our favorite gift also). My goal is to someday leave the ship with a credit. Hasn't happened so far but usually there is only a couple of hundred on our sail and sign.

It might actually happen on my next cruise since it is an all inclusive.. and generally the bar bill is what eats up our money.

I like paying in advance, in fact my Nov cruise is paid in full including tips. Which means I can start planning and paying on my 2010 cruise. Helps with PCD if I have my next cruise all lined up.

I always pre-pay my gratuities. When I first started pre-paying the Carnival page did indicate if you pre-paid your tips they could not be removed. But that has changed and you may now adjust all gratuities if necessary.

We pre-pay tips and buy funship dollars (everyone knows our favorite gift also). My goal is to someday leave the ship with a credit. Hasn't happened so far but usually there is only a couple of hundred on our sail and sign.

It might actually happen on my next cruise since it is an all inclusive.. and generally the bar bill is what eats up our money.

I like paying in advance, in fact my Nov cruise is paid in full including tips. Which means I can start planning and paying on my 2010 cruise. Helps with PCD if I have my next cruise all lined up.

Does Carnival offer all inclusive?

More of your vivid and over abused imagination. Why does the IDEA of tipping keep you awake nights? Where's the link to my posts where I say I don't believe you tip AT ALL?

NO factual info from you, once again. From me, you find what you can............

Dan

That link is probably the same one where you state that you won't get involved in another tipping thread.:D

Steve

Where did you get that info from?:confused::rolleyes:

Steve

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/Booking_Procedures_Policies/grats_tips.htm

Prepaid Gratuity Program:

• Gratuities are pre-arranged and paid at the time of booking or anytime up to two weeks prior to the sail date. Once the booking has been ticketed, the prepaid gratuities cannot be removed from the booking.
  • All guests on each booking must prepay the gratuities with the exception of children under two years of age.
  • The guest will have the option to adjust the gratuities (up or down) based upon the level of service received during the cruise.
  • The dollar amount for gratuities will appear in the Miscellaneous Charge field on the booking. The guest copy of the cruise ticket will indicate if gratuities have been prepaid.

...That way it's like your whole vacation is paid for including all the extra's before you ever leave.

EXACTLY...just need the "extra" tip money and our bags. S&S loaded and ready to spend! I know I have read on here before about saving it in bank account to accumulate intrest blah blah blah... Don't think I'd accumulate enough to make it worth having to worry about applying (especially with the way banks are right now)

On a side note, We pre paid our tips for our first cruise. They showed up as a charge and then a credit on our S&S account. Same with the fuel charge and then refund...

• Gratuities are pre-arranged and paid at the time of booking or anytime up to two weeks prior to the sail date. Once the booking has been ticketed, the prepaid gratuities cannot be removed from the booking.
  • All guests on each booking must prepay the gratuities with the exception of children under two years of age.
  • The guest will have the option to adjust the gratuities (up or down) based upon the level of service received during the cruise.
  • The dollar amount for gratuities will appear in the Miscellaneous Charge field on the booking. The guest copy of the cruise ticket will indicate if gratuities have been prepaid.

You missed the thread I was replying to. It read.........

Originally Posted by KatSt viewpost.gif

We usually prepay our gratuities. It's one less expense you have to think about onboard. You can always adjust the gratuities up or down even if they are prepaid, so I don't see any downside to it.

Thanks all for your replies.

I've also heard/read that the ships give a sheet to their staff that contain the pasengers/cabins that have prepaid for their gratuities and this could affect the service that you receive. From what I've read on other sites, the service is better if you prepay. Is this true?

Sorry for my ignorance of a first time cruiser. :confused:

All the cruises we have been on have automatic tips. But have used pre pay and have not on some cruises. We have always gotten excellent service!

This makes it clear that pre-paid tips can be adjusted. They just can't be removed from the booking.

Hi,

We are going on our first cruise in 18 days on the Valor. Has anyone prepaid their ship gratuities as opposed to paying it during or after the cruise? Are there any pros or cons to pre-paying?

First, congrats on your first cruise. My first cruise was on Carnival too, on the Triumph. I have never prepaid my gratuities. I always give as a tip what I thought the service was worth. If I thought the person did a good job then they would know that. If I thought the person did a bad job then they would know that too.

Hi,

We are going on our first cruise in 18 days on the Valor. Has anyone prepaid their ship gratuities as opposed to paying it during or after the cruise? Are there any pros or cons to pre-paying?

Not a good idea. Some times Waiters or Cabin Boys Suck! How do you lower or adjust their Tip down if you prepaid? Would you prepay at home for your Tip before you set down and eat???

Are prepaid gratuities covered by Travel Insurance?

I'll go out on a limb and say that after final payment date, they are considered non-refundable. With carnival's insurance, non- refundable payments are covered.

"By purchasing Carnival’s Cruise Vacation Protection Plan, you can protect yourself against otherwise non-refundable cancellation penalties, medical costs, baggage loss and delays, as well as gain access to a wide range of traveler’s assistance services. "

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/CVPP_Purchase.aspx

I think I saw with most of the insuremytrip plans it was the same/similar wording...

Archived